Profile Picture

Facial Rigging Custom Characters for iClone

Posted By demeritrious 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
demeritrious
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (346 reputation)Senior Member (346 reputation)Senior Member (346 reputation)Senior Member (346 reputation)Senior Member (346 reputation)Senior Member (346 reputation)Senior Member (346 reputation)Senior Member (346 reputation)Senior Member (346 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 9 Years Ago
I am attempting to create custom characters using either Fuse Mixamo or Poser then export them to 3DXChange in order to convert them and import into iclone. The only problem is there is no way to facial rig the characters once import into 3DXChange. Is there anyway or any program I can use to apply the facial rigging to my characters in order to make this pipeline work? Is there some sort of pipeline guide I am missing to make this work?

Also, most of the information I find online is outdated and it seems very difficult to get help on the animation topic for me. If someone could also recommend someone who I could email and ask questions to and get information as well would be great.

Thanks in advanced
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
yes,  it's a can of worms.   you may want to consider facial animation through custom morphs as it's easier and cheaper to do,  looks just as good,  in some cases better.   Trust me on this!   I jumped into the rabbit hole, learned several techniques / softwares both rigging and morphing -  you  go through so many tutorials,  that by the time you finish it,  you forgot what you were going to film!  

http://rs2img.memecdn.com/go-save-yourself_fb_898075.jpg

demeritrious
demeritrious
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (346 reputation)Senior Member (346 reputation)Senior Member (346 reputation)Senior Member (346 reputation)Senior Member (346 reputation)Senior Member (346 reputation)Senior Member (346 reputation)Senior Member (346 reputation)Senior Member (346 reputation)

I appreciate your response. What do you suggest? Something like BonyFace (I just found it in google)?
And yes hours and hours (and hours) of tutorials along with so many different programs and trial and errors. 
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

the easiest most fun way I found for doing it -  import your character through 3DX5 -  then export the mesh to a software like sculptris http://pixologic.com/sculptris/
   which is free and easy to use.  Then you start manually sculpting the different expressions you want on the face,  export that model and re-import it to 3DX5 as a facial morph then program it,  and keep adding new facial expressions that way,.  -  be sure not to change the face count on the mesh when you do it.  -  but it's a relatively painless process that lets you spend more time being an artist than a techie!

Edited
9 Years Ago by planetstardragon
prabhatM
prabhatM
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
planetstardragon (6/7/2015)
the easiest most fun way I found for doing it -  import your character through 3DX5 -  then export the mesh to a software like sculptris http://pixologic.com/sculptris/
   which is free and easy to use.  Then you start manually sculpting the different expressions you want on the face,  export that model and re-import it to 3DX5 as a facial morph then program it,  and keep adding new facial expressions that way,.  -  be sure not to change the face count on the mesh when you do it.  -  but it's a relatively painless process that lets you spend more time being an artist than a techie!

Does it add significant value more than DAZ-ICLONE pipeline ?

mtakerkart
mtakerkart
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)

Last Active: 11 hours ago
@demeritrious

You can autorig your character with fuse , facial (blendshape) autorig too. Then download in fbx format from the mixamo server. Then convert to non-standard
character in 3dxchange.Then set all the viseme in 3dxchange expression editor .Then export in Iclone. It's the same process as all non-standard character
importation.This exemple is a Fuse character:

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

@prabbhat ,  i do the same process with daz characters also - its easy to make your own morphs in addition to the ones daz adds.  This is a pretty universal technique thanks to the way 3DX5 handles morphs on rigged characters.

demeritrious
demeritrious
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

@mtakerkart

Thank you for responding. When I export (with facial blendshape enabled) and import into 3dxchange, the bones connect through the head, body, arms, and legs but there's no connection throughout the face. I am able to move the head but I can't open the mouth, blink or move the eyes, etc. Am I missing something? 
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
It certainly is an adventure making your own avatars, but you might want to stick with the DAZ route. It does all the facial morphs automatically with the free DUF file, and it rigs in 3DX automatically. It is currently the easiest way to create your own avatars. You can use poser, but you'll need to re-target the bones manually (quite easy), and set all the facial morphs (still fairly easy). I assume Poser has some method of exporting facial morphs.
Here's a good tutorial.

And here is the free DUF file.
https://forum.reallusion.com/236607/Daz-Genesis-1-2-DUF-Files-Download-Now-For-FREE
demeritrious
demeritrious
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

My problem with DAZ is it's too limited in my opinion and many of the character models look very similar unless you fork out a lot of money. I had better luck with fuse and poser. 
Edited
9 Years Ago by demeritrious

Reading This Topic