Softcloth pass through

Posted By isaac3d 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
isaac3d
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (580 reputation)Veteran Member (580 reputation)Veteran Member (580 reputation)Veteran Member (580 reputation)Veteran Member (580 reputation)Veteran Member (580 reputation)Veteran Member (580 reputation)Veteran Member (580 reputation)Veteran Member (580 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 9 Years Ago
I'm sorry if you get this kind of question regularly, but I have been having a lot of problems with this. I have watched several videos on this topic (several times) and for the presenter its always click click click and perfect results! Unfortunately I don't know if my problems are lack of skill and experience or if there is a setting somewhere which needs to be switched on or off and I have yet to find it.

In the attached picture you can see genesis 2 female with a dress from DAZ3d. I have highlighted what I think are the important check boxes in red. I have also indicated that I have selected the general cloth properties. I have applied a weight map that I made myself in photoshop. As you can see, the lower part of the dress (where the weight map is white) passes through the figures legs.
It was my understanding that the weight map affected the physical properties of the softcloth (elasticity, mass etc) not the collision properties. Is that correct?
If I dial the brightness of the weight map down until it is very dark grey then the pass though is less. That seems to suggest that the weight map is affecting the collision. If that is so, how is it possible to get a very soft cloth that does pass through the figures body? I know that it is possible to add Collision Shapes to a figure. Is that the answer? I surely hope not. I hope that the mesh of the figure itself can be used as the rigid body.
Any advice would be welcome.

.https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/94a1c534-1a47-4f6a-85a7-0c10.png
prabhatM
prabhatM
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
I think you already have figured it out.
The avatar mesh could be used as a rigid body. I had seen a tutorial where one could set the collusion margin aroud the avatar body parts.
Edited
9 Years Ago by prabhatM
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Ok,  prabbhat,  i do enjoy watching you offer support.  but you don't use iclone to make movies,  you don't own the software,  you even criticize it regularly,  yet you watch tutorials and offer support ?

Don't get me wrong,  I don't want to stop you from being friendly and helpful,  but I'm counting this experience along with supernatural phenomenon I've experienced in life that I simply lack any regular normal explanation.   I've never seen ANYONE offer support on software they criticize, do not use, or do not own - so this seems worthy of scientific and psychological analysis.   Again,  not criticizing,  I'm just fascinated at this level of je ne sais quoi. 

isaac3d
isaac3d
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (580 reputation)Veteran Member (580 reputation)Veteran Member (580 reputation)Veteran Member (580 reputation)Veteran Member (580 reputation)Veteran Member (580 reputation)Veteran Member (580 reputation)Veteran Member (580 reputation)Veteran Member (580 reputation)

So guys, was that a yes or a no?

Is the figure mesh itself the rigid body? Am I missing a check box somewhere? Or do I have to use Collision Shapes? (The official tutorials don't show this when importing genesis2, so I hope not.)

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I don't know if you've seen this tutorial,  also,  it should be noted that the weight maps can be quite sensitive,  a small difference in shade of your weight map gradient can make a huge difference in the performance.    So it might just be a matter of spending a little more time and getting familiar with the settings and their relative sensitivities to subtle value changes.  Kinda like jumping in that sportscar that goes from zero to 90 at the slightest touch of the gas pedal.

There is also the point of monitoring your work in "Frame by Frame" mode as opposed to real time,  real time isn't accurate physics real time calculation - frame by frame gives the cpu time to do better calculations -  this can be misleading when trying to do weight maps in the wrong mode -  you only watch real time after baking a motion rendered frame by frame - otherwise understand that the Un-baked real time is a very rough calculation made in brevity to allow for real time playback,.

Edited
9 Years Ago by planetstardragon
duchess110
duchess110
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)

Hi I did not sit and watch the 17 minute video but this is something that you need to activate for Collision Shapes
Along the top toolbar you will see Modify Select  - then select collision shape.
You will then get the pop up with the shapes that you need to activate.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/e6afabab-7fb9-4d06-ad39-49b6.jpg

Perhaps this is the cause of your body break through.

Duchess Designs Store 

prabhatM
prabhatM
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)

planetstardragon (6/1/2015)
Ok,  prabbhat,  i do enjoy watching you offer support.  but you don't use iclone to make movies,  you don't own the software,  you even criticize it regularly,  yet you watch tutorials and offer support ?

Don't get me wrong,  I don't want to stop you from being friendly and helpful,  but I'm counting this experience along with supernatural phenomenon I've experienced in life that I simply lack any regular normal explanation.   I've never seen ANYONE offer support on software they criticize, do not use, or do not own - so this seems worthy of scientific and psychological analysis.   Again,  not criticizing,  I'm just fascinated at this level of je ne sais quoi. 

What is there to be surprised? I have a particular need. Iclone does not offer me that at this moment. I have expressed that many times. That is why it is not in my workflow. But it is pretty close to becoming one. 

I am fascinated by RL and iclone as a product. I have even tried to analyse a hypothetical situation......., if I were to run this company then how would I develop this product in future! I am always reading thousands of  things on my tablet. On my tablet I am always either reading or writing. Participating in a forum discussion is a kind of relief.. Iclone forum is always on . Anything on daz and iclone I am always absorbing. And things that I read or watch more or less stay with me.

Now coming back to helping people......it is a natural habit. It is not to show off knowledge...it's about challenging oneself...can I solve this problem....?.....it's about problem solving....keeping one's mind active and fertile.

I am also reading a lot about unreal engine these days. It will be part of my future workflow. Soon you will see me offering suggestions on this engine. I always try to understand the whole thing before I sit down to work. Because when I work, I dont read or watch any references. I stay focussed on my work. 
Only when somebody understands a product inside out, he can innovate his workflow.

By the way, I have interest in politics, defence, economy, technology in general, human behavior, innovations,music. And I keep participating in the discussions whenever and wherever I can. So please dont be surprised by these small little  things.

It is as simple as that. 
Edited
9 Years Ago by prabhatM
isaac3d
isaac3d
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Thanks for the replies.
I have studied the video DAZ to iClone 6 Tutorial - Softh Cloth for DAZ characters (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmbLlulalbk) very many times
The video does NOT address the issue as far as I understand.
The video starts with a character with clothing which does not fall through the character mesh. For my character that happens whether the character is standing still or moving (it is not an issue of Realtime or By Frame, I have tried both!).
I know that it is possible to assign Collision Shapes to each body part individually and though this is a crude solution it works to some extent, though the shapes are very simple and can never match the shape of the character mesh itself.
Furthermore, if this is the correct way of dealing with this issue then I would expect that the video presenter would have spared 30 seconds out of the near 18 minutes to mention this. He does not mention this at all. My conclusion is that in the video the character mesh itself is acting as the rigid body with collision physics.
My question is ...... HOW do I apply the rigid body physics to the characters body mesh?
As you can see from the picture I attached, I have checked just about every box I can which relates to rigid bodies and collision. Since it still does not work, I am assuming that I am missing something... the question is .... WHAT?

Edited
9 Years Ago by isaac3d
prabhatM
prabhatM
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

isaac3d (6/3/2015)
Thanks for the replies.
I have studied the video DAZ to iClone 6 Tutorial - Softh Cloth for DAZ characters (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmbLlulalbk) very many times
The video does NOT address the issue as far as I understand.
The video starts with a character with clothing which does not fall through the character mesh. For my character that happens whether the character is standing still or moving (it is not an issue of Realtime or By Frame, I have tried both!).
I know that it is possible to assign Collision Shapes to each body part individually and though this is a crude solution it works to some extent, though the shapes are very simple and can never match the shape of the character mesh itself.
Furthermore, if this is the correct way of dealing with this issue then I would expect that the video presenter would have spared 30 seconds out of the near 18 minutes to mention this. He does not mention this at all. My conclusion is that in the video the character mesh itself is acting as the rigid body with collision physics.
My question is ...... HOW do I apply the rigid body physics to the characters body mesh?
As you can see from the picture I attached, I have checked just about every box I can which relates to rigid bodies and collision. Since it still does not work, I am assuming that I am missing something... the question is .... WHAT?

For some reason, I can not view your youtube link. It is saying the video is not available. So I have no way to know which tutorial you are watching.

Please refer to the screenprint given by Duchess110 in this thread. This shows how to activate the COLLUSION around the body parts. You don't have to apply Rigid body Physics. Just activate the COLLUSION around the body shape. You may even adjust the IMPACT AREA around the body parts by adjusting the shapes.

At this moment I am having problem with Youtube videos. You may not check all CHECKBOXES. Kindly check this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nek-bFtpoMs and refer to Duchess110's Post. As I understand, you have to select COLLUSION ON/OFF then select a body part and  CHECK the checkbox next to "Activate the Selected Part"

PS : Whenever we deal with a new software it's easy to ignore some info. Please have patience. Check the Softcloth tutorial(s) by RL and Duchess's Post. I am sure you will find the solution.

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
Here is the manual page. Further links into more detail if you scroll all the way down.

http://manual.reallusion.com/iClone_6/ENU/Pro_6.0/20_Physics/Physics_Settings_for_Characters.htm

Pressing "F1" in iClone brings up the help, or just google it real quick to find any info you need.

Reading This Topic