Anything Goes!

Posted By planetstardragon 9 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
planetstardragon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Week
Going off topic is a tradition in this forum,  and quite frankly it can be fun to just roll with a conversation BigGrin
so I made this thread....talk about any kitten thing you want in any order you want,  if something becomes an important topic and you want to focus on it,  take it to a new thread,  staying on topic is forbidden in this thread!

I'll open the thread with the latest animation from the guy that made Pigeon Impossible.

I'm not impressed!   

Conclusion: Nice story bro,  but the visuals needed more cowbell!!  Tears just aren't enough anymore!  we need confusion and chaos to cater to the internet attention span!  -two finger clap-

Edited
9 Years Ago by planetstardragon
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

which btw,  for those that haven't seen Pigeon Impossible,  it's a visually entertaining video, with a fun story -  lots of detail on the set that keeps the viewer glued to the screen!   None of that bland cloud stuff!! -smh-

make a conscious effort to study yourself when you watch this video,  you will look at all the background stuff in the story in between focusing on the main characters..... the theory I find,  is the more a scene has,  the more a person will watch,  focusing on 1 object is exhausting.

Edited
9 Years Ago by planetstardragon
Bigus
Bigus
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
The OceanMaker - I ran into it before.
For some reason I could not bring myself to watch after 2.5 minutes.
It does not happen to me often with short animated films.
The Pigeon Impossible I watched a few of times. Perfect.

Embrace simplicity
Reduce selfishness
Have few desires
(Lao Tzu) 

Peter Blood
Peter Blood
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Dayum, y'all are a tough crowd! Blink

I thought the Ocean Maker video was superb. Sets were beautiful, character animation was way beyond anything I've seen done here, special effects, everything was just beautiful. I couldn't have stopped watching it at 2 minutes because I wanted to see the whole story. I have no frame of reference as to way that cute little rain making honey was being shot at, but the conflict was evidence enough that she wasn't playing by whatever rules the big boys wanted her to play by. I love a cute revolutionary.

My vote is it's an awesome video. Wink

Cool pete

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/d9f2ee62-c67b-4c8e-b3cf-4e36.png
http://www.youtube.com/user/peterblood50?feature=mhee
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Don't get me wrong,  I thought the story was interesting,   the visuals imo felt like he took a shortcut though!

Tarampa Studios
Tarampa Studios
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Kudos for the fun-n-free thread!...

re the vids, I loved both too... for separate markets obviously. One is purely entertainment, while the other has social moral merit that's been artfully produced in a way that would also appeal to the huuuugely lucrative educational market... the open space also makes the desolation more emphatic and less distracting to those who have trouble latching on to emotional angles, so it's understandable why they chose to go that way, especially when they clearly have the talent to throw in as much as they like... 

then again, the vid that follows it explains how they dislocated themselves from New York and moved to a tropical isle to produce it, so maybe they just needed more time on the beach with mojitos, hahahaa

Anybody know what suite they used?
Looks like Maya via Renderman maybe?

Anita, aka "Bleetz" the Toon Wrangler @ Tarampa Studios
SYS: Win 8.1,  64-bit, i7-4770 CPU @3.4GHz,  
32GB RAM, Intel(R)Graphics 4600 & nVIDIA GTX1060 TI 

Edited
9 Years Ago by Bleetz
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

nice observation Bleetz,  that's what I felt too,   Oceanmaker didn't feel like what you expect to see on the internet - now considering how many rounds he makes with Film Festivals ..it would make more sense ..

and on his workflow - 

"Animation-wise the pipeline chosen involved Softimage and Maya with rendering in Mental Ray. “I’ve been using Mental Ray with Softimage forever,
Excerpt from http://www.fxguide.com/featured/animating-in-paradise-making-the-oceanmaker/

it's really a shame that Softimage is about to be discontinued -  it's the one software from autowreck that I may have considered from all the great reviews and users it had.   Maybe I'll get it after they discontinue it ! lol

primaveranz
primaveranz
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I loved everything about it. I wonder if they stopped where they did because they didn't get the full funding they were after on IndieGoGo .
Even so, I think it hangs together well as it stands.
Tarampa Studios
Tarampa Studios
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Nah, they stopped there, because that's the strongest punchline... the irony being that saving the planet and restoring the ocean required the death of the one person who'd worked the hardest towards saving it... and while others are still up there, flying about and fighting over that last drop of natural resources, there are still a rare few who stay grounded with their sights looking out to the future.. hence also the character in the battlescarred lighthouse...  and what a magical moment of storytelling and animation came together in that one brief glint in her eye that told us everything we needed to know... that *she* is the one who'll go on to turn rain into oceans... especially combined with perfect timing of the title (which was absent from it's normal place at the beginning, as is common with many youtube animations, and therefore played on our alleged foreknowledge of social media)...

technically speaking, it was quite clever on many more levels than we're used to seeing, especially in that fun category of animation that we tend to devour quite ravenously without pausing enough to savour as much of the flavour as we possibly could... but I also love the change of pace, because if we all made the same degree of busy screens, we'd be yawning through them in no time too... so the more animators who strive for that style, leaves more of the market hungry for those of us who crave the details... Smile

Smile

Anita, aka "Bleetz" the Toon Wrangler @ Tarampa Studios
SYS: Win 8.1,  64-bit, i7-4770 CPU @3.4GHz,  
32GB RAM, Intel(R)Graphics 4600 & nVIDIA GTX1060 TI 

Edited
9 Years Ago by Bleetz
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

hrmm,  i like that .....makes me consider reverse engineering a great quote into a short!  

Reading This Topic