Game Character Animation Contest Announcement

Posted By Visconti 9 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
animagic
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 hours ago
Thanks Peter, this extension is great news. 

It will help me out immensely, as due to various circumstances (such as a part-time day job, serious allergy attacks because above-normal pollen levels, and other misery), I have a late start...

Anyway, for those interested, I've started a thread on the Polycount forum, here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153180.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Edited
9 Years Ago by animagic
jasonjbrown
jasonjbrown
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Hi Everyone:

I've been working on possible contest entries over at the Polycount forum- a couple of characters
The Balrog
Gandalf

I also wrote an article for Computer Graphics World (!) about the contest:
How to Animate without Modelling
Tarampa Studios
Tarampa Studios
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
... The contest will start April 25th and close July 10th for final submissions. Winners will be announced on June 30, 2015.

Haha, that's a funny typo, announcing the winners 10 days before the competition closes. 

Seriously though, I don't envy the judges... it's like putting Spielberg, Tarrantino, Jackson, Bay and Pixar in the same room, and being asked to choose the best - an impossible task, since they all use the same tools with outstanding brilliance, but for completely different audiences, so they each stand atop their own peak in the mountain ranges of entertainment. And not one of them shall ever be any lesser if one accumulates more awards than any other.

BigGrin

Anita, aka "Bleetz" the Toon Wrangler @ Tarampa Studios
SYS: Win 8.1,  64-bit, i7-4770 CPU @3.4GHz,  
32GB RAM, Intel(R)Graphics 4600 & nVIDIA GTX1060 TI 

thedirector1974
thedirector1974
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)

Last Active: 10 days ago
Here is my entry to the contest ...

Have fun ...

Direx
Walt_R
Walt_R
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)

I enjoyed your video. Well done. Good luck in the contest.
Tarampa Studios
Tarampa Studios
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)

.... and back at the opposite end of the spectrum from everybody else, I'm still polishing up my sets. 

Here's some pics from the latest planet; arriving in her little "moon ship", with health & ozone levels running low. She's down to a mere bubble: 
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/1579a7fc-9762-4c84-b796-ba3d.jpg

And in good old fashioned game style, she's made a trade for an upgrade. So here's 3 of the locals taking the new "moon ship" mods out for a test sail: 
This took me a whole day and a half to get the flap in the sail cloth just right. At first it was determined to flap like silk - which took only a few minutes to set up, and I could have left it like that and I dare say nobody would notice or even care. But the whole purpose of my projects like this is to learn something new, so I just kept tweakin, and tweakin until I turned silk into canvas... 
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/99bdf9a3-93d0-4539-abe9-1d61.jpg

And now I'm a little stuck on the the next tricky bit - at least for me. Because the natives live in tree-top tee-pees:
(haha, try saying *that* 10 times fast after an hour at a party)... 
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/22ee4701-579e-4a81-8ee1-fd27.jpg

And although they look okay at a distance, the texture maps for leaves and trees are giving me grief on close-up, regardless of whether I use png, 
or use a jpg with an opacity map built from scratch - which is what I'm doing with my chin today... giving it a good hard scratch to see if I can solve it another way. 

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/7fef6f5d-aa03-429a-93f2-0862.jpg

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
@Wungun,

Thanks for sharing.  A bit heavy on the "flare" for my taste (it obscures some of your hard work), but that's just a matter of personal style.

@Bleetz,

You are correct about your work being on the opposite end of the spectrum; quite a different universe from Wungun's.  Smile

It sure is a sugar-filled environment, but it looks like a fun place.  I especially enjoyed the whimsical windmill arms.  I hope you're able to improve the textures to your satisfaction.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

jgrant
jgrant
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
@Bleetz - A higher resolution texture, perhaps for the Close Ups? Perhaps also consider a less bright environment to allow for shadow and shade to take the curse of the low-rez textures? LOVE the windmill arms. It's very whimsical and looks great.

@Wungun - Must agree with Justaviking - Perhaps too much flare? I'm all for lensflare - but it seems a little extreme.

Congratulations everyone on your work so far on the Game Animation submissions.  Some incredible work being done by all.
Tarampa Studios
Tarampa Studios
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

jgrant (6/19/2015)
Perhaps also consider a less bright environment to allow for shadow and shade to take the curse of the low-rez textures?

Bingo!.. We must have been on the same wavelength. I tried it last night (my time in eastern oz) and went to bed a very happy camper! 

Up again at 3am though, as usual. Having way too much fun with this to sleep Smile 

Peter Blood
Peter Blood
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Bleetz: Smile

Sometimes you can add a little depth by constructing a type of 'bump' map. This will give some depth, tho not much. Load the diffuse channel into your paint program and change it to black and white. Then play with the brightness and contrast until you get a blend that is a bit brighter and with higher contrast. (I can't say what will exactly work because each diffuse is different. You'll have to play with it.) Then 'select all' and copy. Now pick a bump map, any Iclone bump map will do. After choosing one load it into your paint program. Paste the B&W version of your diffuse over it. (Be sure to select 'expand canvas' if you are prompted to do so.) Save and then check it out. Smile

No promises but, hopefully, this approach will give you a bit more definition.

Cool pete

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/d9f2ee62-c67b-4c8e-b3cf-4e36.png
http://www.youtube.com/user/peterblood50?feature=mhee
Edited
9 Years Ago by peterblood

Reading This Topic