Profile Picture

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX GPU 2GB GDDR5

Posted By boxhit 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
boxhit
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (413 reputation)Senior Member (413 reputation)Senior Member (413 reputation)Senior Member (413 reputation)Senior Member (413 reputation)Senior Member (413 reputation)Senior Member (413 reputation)Senior Member (413 reputation)Senior Member (413 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Alienware just released a gamer PC at an incredible price. It is called the Alienware Alpha and even comes with an xbox controller. The PC runs in two modes... Game and PC Windows 8.1 64 bit. It has 8 g of ram and NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX GPU 2GB GDDR5 for a video card. Can anyone tell me if iClone will run on this. I have to buy a new PC to meet iclone requirements. I talked to Dell and they said I have 21 days to return it if it does not. Any help would be appreciated. The units start at 400 and topend at 800.00....

You can view the console at

http://www.alienware.com/landings/alpha/
Edited
9 Years Ago by boxhit
animagic
animagic
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 42 minutes ago
I went to the Alienware page for the product and checked out the specs.

Unfortunately, they don't tell which NVidia GTX. There should be a number following. It seems to be an onboard chip, which would not be the most powerful. 2GB is OK, but on the low side by todays standard. Larger iClone scenes may use more.

8GB of RAM is OK, but again sort of minimal. 16GB would be more like it.

Without more information it's hard to judge, but I think the system isn't suited for anything but game playing. You would definitely need the top model, which is about $850.

EDIT: I think you will be able get more by looking for an actual PC. It will also be easier to grow your system, such as getting an extra hard drive or more RAM.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Edited
9 Years Ago by animagic
boxhit
boxhit
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (413 reputation)Senior Member (413 reputation)Senior Member (413 reputation)Senior Member (413 reputation)Senior Member (413 reputation)Senior Member (413 reputation)Senior Member (413 reputation)Senior Member (413 reputation)Senior Member (413 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Your probably right. I checked with Dell and they could not give me a satisfactory answer regarding the video card. I guess I am just going to have to dig a little deeper. I use MAC and have a great Imac. I don't like bootcamping though. I would rather have a dedicated PC for Iclone, DAZ, and Unity. Use my MAC for my visual effects. Oh well... Thanks for the input.
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
i've seen a few laptops with desktop specs - but they are pretty expensive -

http://www.ultrabookreview.com/5729-gaming-laptops-nvidia-970m-980m/

something I personally would want once a business can pay for it ...just for the sake of being portable ... but otherwise I'd build my desktop first with better specs at a fraction of the price.

this would probably be my personal pick - l'm an msi fan

http://us.msi.com/product/nb/GT72-Dominator-Pro-GTX-980M.html#hero-specification

Edited
9 Years Ago by planetstardragon
Kencoon7
Kencoon7
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (278 reputation)Senior Member (278 reputation)Senior Member (278 reputation)Senior Member (278 reputation)Senior Member (278 reputation)Senior Member (278 reputation)Senior Member (278 reputation)Senior Member (278 reputation)Senior Member (278 reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
I had an interesting discussion today. It seems there are Nvidia software cards that are wired into the hard drive. They don't have a number.
My friend was told his Nadia video card was bad in his laptop and he needed to replace the motherboard. Never heard of that before.

Reading This Topic