Newbie Needs Help (Content)

Posted By videodv 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
videodv
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hi All

I recently came across IClone so I purchased Iclone 5.5 and 3DExchange5, I got the upgarade
to iclone 6 but unfortunately it will not work on my systems.

So the question I have is where do I go from here?

There is so much content, where to start I have just purchased and downloaded the feb email motion special, great!

I am now at a loss of what extra content to get, keep in mind I do not know any Iclone terminology of what fits where? what is Iclone capable of ect?

I am currently looking at terrain mapping and will probably buy EarthSculpture I have been experimenting with this over the last couple of weeks as well as others.

As a thought in case anyone as not come across this small but interesting texture editor http://neotextureedit.sourceforge.net/ it is an Altha but I think it has possibilities.

So whats the lowdown on other things?

I think I am looking character wise for G5 Only (as I what the best I can form 5.5) I think that is right yes? What about Clone Cloth is there a default for the default 5.5 characters? if so what?

I have various 3D programes that I am using at the moment to create content the main one is Cinema4D (9.6) also have Motion Builder and a few others, may get my head around blender if needed! I have tried many others all seem to work in one way or the other.

I know these questions are subjective as we are all on different levels of expertise but we all a
have to start from some where?

Any help would be great

Regards
Videodv.

momillis
momillis
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
videodv (3/2/2015)

So the question I have is where do I go from here?

Hi @videodv.

With all that gear it sounds like you're overwhelmed.BigGrin I got the iC5 deal with iC6 upgrade also, and I still have issues with iC6 firing up.Crazy I upgraded most system requirements and are preparing to do the rest this month.

I would suggest you do what you need to to get iC6 going. It's made a huge step in a high industry level direction, especially with the Indigo Render. From what I've seen so far the focus is all on iC6 with the lesser versions soon to be left behind. I still use iC5 but I'm reluctant to buy very much to towards it. It's still all the worthy of learning from though so time isn't wasted.

As far a G5 character ONLY..That was my initial thought also, but I quickly learned you need G3, G4 and G5 characters also. They have personas that are built for each character that just makes them work better in certain situations than others. When I first started I had a situation that called for removing the shirt on a G5 character, but the torso left with the shirt. I ended up using a G3 character that could be bar chested. If you're adding textures--like creating a monster or sub-human--it covers up a lot. There's also low poly situations where you have a crowd of people. You just load up a bunch of low level characters, which can all be morphed to look different. I think this will help your CPU levels also, not to mention affecting the render. So, yeah, all characters are valuable, as well as props and accessories. One can never have enough.

I really like physics in general. To me they're part of life, so I was drawn to the physics of iClone right away. Since it's basically recreating a real life situation maybe you'll want look towards something you know well in life already and try to create a similar situation in iClone.

I've spent, and spend, a lotta time on Youtube watching tutorials. My favs are Reallusion (Kai D.), SmallWStudio (Mark Pleasent), and Warlord (MD McCullen). You can find them on the Reallusion site via Reallusion Tv also. Watch, watch and watch. When you're done watch some more. w00t You WILL learn. When you get in a jam revert to a video.

Hope this helps you.

- Mo' Millis  
Official Mo' Millis | Music & Animation

American rock musician and award winning songwriter.
3D photorealistic album art, posters, and tee shirt prints 
for independent artists.
Founder and composer of Scene Music. Certified animation content DEVeloper.

Edited
9 Years Ago by momillis
Lawsuit Pending Records
Lawsuit Pending Records
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Videodv

neo edit is okay I find earth sculpture a neat handy tool . Even better I've been using Bryce since one of the developers here added a "Bryce terrain to iClone 5" height map system that's available in the Reallusion market place.

As for buying iClone 5 content I just spent the whole morning building a scene in iC6 using nothing but iC5 content. No major issues so far and my projects that were started in iC5 have imported with good results too. Just a dummy tornado caused me problems trying to attach the debris ..... So now its a clear sunny day with a slight breeze Smile

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/992e4d8f-3217-4368-a94f-f808.jpg

iC5 Pipeline, iC6 Pipeline, CTA2 Pipeline, CTA Pro, Crazy Talk, Facefilter, POP. 
LAWSUIT PENDING RECORDS Label-Logos-Web Design-Artist Roster-Licensing - Flip type interactive magazine production
mark
mark
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Lawsuit Pending Records (3/3/2015)
...Just a dummy tornado caused me problems trying to attach the debris ..... So now its a clear sunny day with a slight breeze Smile

Did you say tornado?? Would love to see how that came out for you as I'm working on one for "The Wizard of OZ" BigGrin

PROMO-BACK2
Click here to go to my YouTube Channel filled with iClone Tutes and Silly Stuff

Visit ANIMATED PROJECTIONS Powered by iCLONE

Intel Core i7 3960X @ 3300MHz Overclocked to 4999.7 MHz Sandy Bridge 24.0GB DDR3 @ 833MHz Graphic Display HP ZR30w 
GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB  Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1 ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 WS (LGA2011)

videodv
videodv
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)

Thanks for the reply's guys.

Looks like I will have to put on hold getting content and get a new graphics card so I can run Iclone6?

Moneys tight so if its the graphics card I will not be able to get any additional content this year.

Will keep looking at video's and such in the meantime.

Regards
Videodv.
mark
mark
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
I really don't think iC5 will slow you down as far as creativity goes!
I still use iC5 quite a bit, even with iC6 under the hood! I still haven't scratched the surface of what can be done with iC5Tongue

PROMO-BACK2
Click here to go to my YouTube Channel filled with iClone Tutes and Silly Stuff

Visit ANIMATED PROJECTIONS Powered by iCLONE

Intel Core i7 3960X @ 3300MHz Overclocked to 4999.7 MHz Sandy Bridge 24.0GB DDR3 @ 833MHz Graphic Display HP ZR30w 
GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB  Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1 ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 WS (LGA2011)

colour
colour
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)

What Mark said, above.

If you want to produce a Storyline Clip in a reasonable timescale, you need a User Interface that's easy to see & streamlined. IMO, iC6 is neither of those.

If you're a new iC User you need to use iC5 which is almost Bug Free., iC6 isn't yet.

If cash is tight, I see no reason for Upgrading your PC to iC6 & then finding it's buggy, when you can start straight-away with iC5, Using the Tutorials below:

Welcome to the Forum,

You'll find a lot of Video Tutorials by Reallusion & Forum Members.

However the question of "But where do I start?" still remains.

IMO, the best way to start (Others may differ), is to go through Stuckon3D's Free Video Tutorials, which cover iClone Basics. These are based on iClone 4, which don't include the many new Features in iC5.

Warlord's Purchase Tutorial Book also based on iC4 but with iC5 new Features added, goes into the basics in more depth, with his own Content provided for individual Project-based Tutorials.

Mark's advanced Free Tutorials cover specific "How do I do this" requests, in a User friendly manner.

TUTORIALS:

1) Stuckon3D

Here; https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic31003-33-1.aspx

2) Warlord:

Here; http://www.iclonebeginnersguide.com/

3) Mark's advanced Free Tutorials:

Here;
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB19A9CF2BCAE5FAF

4) Reallusion iC5 Video Tutorials

Here; http://www.reallusion.com/iclone/iclone_training.aspx

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REALLUSION FORUM ANNUAL PINHEAD COMMUNITY PROJECTS.

New Pinhead Website & Project to be announced in September 2015

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

animagic
animagic
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Becoming well-aquainted with iClone 5 will indeed not be a waste of your time. There are a lot of resources for iClone 5, and your iClone 5 projects will import in iClone 6 when you are ready. If you are just starting out then beginning with iClone 5 is probably the best course of action.

As far as iClone 6 is concerned, I now use it on a daily basis, working on a project that I started in iClone 5. Iclone 6 is stable for me, but there are glitches that need to be sorted out. I'm also quite accustomed to the user interface and have no trouble moving around. The downside is that I'm now searching for stuff in iClone 5...Unsure

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

videodv
videodv
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks for all your thoughts.

I will put off for now getting a new graphics card as I need some time to get used to Iclone terminology and workflow and as you have said it will take some time for Iclone 6 to settle down to be more stable.

So on to looking at the plenty of videos and reading the manual Smile and of course plenty of trial and error w00t

Thanks all will (hopefully) post some test videos soon.

Regards
Videodv.
Grimhilda
Grimhilda
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
This is an interesting thread and its good to see seasoned Iclone users still around and taking part.

Here's my situation for what it's worth.

I obtained Iclone6 in the pre-release deal in which I bought a lot of content to get Iclone6 free. But I had a hopelessly inadequate computer (for Iclone 6) and was prepared to keep the latest version on hold.

At the start of this year I moved to a new place to live and have been in a mess ever since - most of my things still in crates, etc. Just before moving, my computer hard drive died and I tried everything to restore it from disc images and backups.

In the end I bought a modest but more up-to-date desktop but left out the graphics card to save on cost. As always with these things, after doing so I did manage to get my old computer running again! Nevertheless I relented and bought a NVIDEA GeForce GTX 750ti card for the new computer which enabled me at last to try out Iclone 6.

So my first look at the new computer, Windows 8, Internet Explorer (version whatever) and Iclone6 took place a couple of evenings ago.

I can't say I'm at all thrilled with the changes of interface in Windows 8 but I'll concede that everything seems to work flawlessly. It just doesn't feel right!

As for Iclone6 - well I've only just tried adding a few items to a scene and applied a couple of motions to characters but I think it's going to be a pretty amazing program to use. Although I've followed developments here on the forums and had a good idea of what to expect, I can say I was genuinely amazed by the quality of the finished renders. (A sample project of a tour through some ruined buildings was way beyond my expectations and is great to see).

But I find myself feeling that I don't want to abandon Iclone5 just yet. I'm not exactly sure I can explain why. For one thing, I have so much new content that I haven't used yet and I'd like to try it out thoroughly in the old, familiar place first. But I wonder whether it's because anything I do in Iclone6 will involve too much mixing of old and new? For example, the new, highly-detailed trees with old terrains and buildings?

Or perhaps it's because Iclone wasn't my whole 3D world. I use Carrara and always saw Iclone as a quick, fun way to get things down - short clips that could be re-done (IMO) with greater realism and with better assets in Carrara.

But Iclone6 is going to require that full attention be given to it. It isn't a sketch-pad - more of a full studio. And the gap between finished work in Carrara and in Iclone isn't so great anymore. (The best Iclone work was always wonderful BTW).

I'm still in the position of not having completed even a short film yet and I'm tempted maybe to stay with the familiar Iclone5 for a while to come. As I say, it's great to see experts still in the Iclone5 forum.

Reading This Topic