Profile Picture

Version compatibility when uploading to Marketplace?

Posted By jann 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
jann
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
How to find out which iClone version your content is compatible with, when uploading to Markedplace?

Vit3D
Vit3D
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Hi jann,

When I upload my content on Marketplace I always use the same version as version of iClone in which this content have been prepared.
For example if content have been prepared (saved) in iClone 5.5, I use version 5.5 in product information.
For users this means that this content can be opened in iClone 5.5 or above.
Hope this will help Smile

Vit

jann
jann
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)

Hi Vit3D,

Isn't there some situations, where the content would also work in earlier versions (than the version you are using)? Eg some simple props.

I have iClone 5.5 and 6.1, so i can do a test it in both.

As 5.0 --> 5.5 update is free, i guess nobody uses 5.0 anymore - so no need to test? But as Reallusion is still selling iClone 4, there must also be some iC4 users around.
Vit3D
Vit3D
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)

Hi Jann,

First of all I should say that when You choose version in "Product information" this does not affect on uploaded content at all -- it's just information for users with which version of iClone this content will be compatible (can be loaded).
Real content version defined by iClone version in which content have been saved before uploading. So if You save content in v6 it will be not possible to load it in v5.5. That's why I always do as I told in my first reply.

Yes, currently a lot of users have both v5.5 and v6, but some one still have 5.5 only.
So, by my opinion, if content does not required new v6 features better prepare it (save it) in v5.5.
If You bother that some users will not understand that Your content also compatible with v6, You can always add remark in product description that this content have been successfully tested in iClone 6.

Of course it's my personal opinion and You should make decision Yourself Smile

Vit

jann
jann
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Hi Vit,

I wasn't concerned on iC6 users, but iC4 users. There are some people who are still using iClone 4, and as Reallusion is still selling it, there will be iC4 users also in the future. So it would be nice to have the new content available for them too.

However, i have now testet how it goes between iC6.1 and iC5.5 - and it seems that even the most simplest props saved in iC6.1 can't get opened in iC5.5 Ermm

So, i will follow you advice Smile
Vit3D
Vit3D
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

If You wish Your props will work for iClone 4, You must install iClone 4 and make all props preparation in it, because as I told, it's not possible to open content in lower version if it have been saved in high version.
Can say, that it's possible to have as many iClone versions installed on the same computer as You like -- all of them will works fine.
Will be more correct if You install oldest version first and then all latest versions (in this order -- 4, 5.5, 6), but not 100% sure that this real requirement...

Vit

jann
jann
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I think iC5.5 is enough backwards compatibility for me. For now anyway. And tagging content as made for iC4, would also make it look like outdated Wink
Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
I started with iClone 6 so I have no way to prepare my content in a previous version although I am guessing that I am not using any features that would not have been available in 5.5.

In my opinion, it would be great if the iClone software supported backwards compatibility and allowed saving in a previous version of iClone if none of the new features are used. Similar to how software like Microsoft Office allows you to save (or export) in previous versions of their file format.

This would allow content designers to make content for a larger market without having to buy each individual version of iClone.

Consider a static object like a cup which has no animation, just shape and basic color. Such an object would probably be compatible all the way back to the initial iClone release and thus would be compatible with all versions of iClone. The file format for each version might be different but the content (i.e. a static mesh wit basic color) would be supported by all iClone versions. However, if the exact same content was made in iClone 6, with the current version setup, only iClone 6 users would be able to load it (even though it does not use any features that were not available in the initial release of iClone).

"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best, but they only have the right to bear arms while we have the right to bare breasts"
Bowser and Blue, Busting The Breast

Reading This Topic