Profile Picture

Begging for help!

Posted By tknight_20090922190925980 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
tknight_20090922190925980
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (461 reputation)Senior Member (461 reputation)Senior Member (461 reputation)Senior Member (461 reputation)Senior Member (461 reputation)Senior Member (461 reputation)Senior Member (461 reputation)Senior Member (461 reputation)Senior Member (461 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Well, by the looks of things on the web this is a nasty subject but as many of you are, I too am desperate...

Same old question:

I have a 3d file. I have it in .fbx, .max, .obj all sorts of formats which load perfectly into 3dsMax with textures, materials etc.

When I export it in any format, with the iclone plug-in, as an .obj file etc etc it will never export properly. I get these bland looking objects with no texture, no material etc.

When I load it into 3dxchange it never loads textures or materials...

I would kill for someone to show me how to import ANY 3d object with materials/textures into 3dxchange and then into iclone. I do not think it is possible!
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Hi Tknight,

Welcome to the forum.

Try using the free autodesk fbx convertor to convert any foreign fbx to a standard format. Just because it's 'fbx' does not mean all 'fbx' files are created the same.

the problem is that not all softwares handle fbx files the same, the autodesk converter will help normalize any potential issues. it works "most" of the time, as some softwares mangle files beyond repair.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=22694909

Edited
9 Years Ago by planetstardragon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (461 reputation)Senior Member (461 reputation)Senior Member (461 reputation)Senior Member (461 reputation)Senior Member (461 reputation)Senior Member (461 reputation)Senior Member (461 reputation)Senior Member (461 reputation)Senior Member (461 reputation)

Hey thanks for the reply! I've tried both the 2012 and 2013 versions of fbx convertor. But no luck, always get objects with no texture.

My issue is probably more with max...

For example:

1. I load in a .max file - looks awesome, material library chock full.

2. Export it in .obj format and then re-load it into max and the material library is full of pale colors and no maps at all.

3. If i re-assign the maps to the materials library and re-export the .obj and then re-load it into iclone it is correct.

4. Why do I have to go through this step when it is all there in the .max file???

Thanks!
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

ugh, i know what you are talking about - truth is I can't answer why that is inconsistent, I don't know max, but my first guess would be it's a process that you have to instruct max to embed the textures.

prabhatM
prabhatM
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
It has nothing to do with 3DX or ICLONE. I guess it's about the EXPORT OPTIONS in 3dmax.

Sw00000p's pointer should help.

ONLY refer to his second Image, forget about everythingelse.

SPECIAL NOTE : Sw00000p always gives a long explanation when a short one ( brevity) is needed and gives a very short one in Morse Code when a real detailed explanation is needed. Did I say I found him interesting for my novel ?
Edited
9 Years Ago by prabhatM
hattori kun
hattori kun
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
It would help if a file that didn't work on your side be uploaded here and we can test on 3dx.
prabhatM
prabhatM
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)

sw00000p (1/28/2015)
prabhatM (1/28/2015)
It has nothing to do with 3DX or ICLONE. I guess it's about the EXPORT OPTIONS in 3dmax.

Sw00000p's pointer should help.

ONLY refer to his second Image, forget about everythingelse.

SPECIAL NOTE : Sw00000p always gives a long explanation when a short one ( brevity) is needed and gives a very short one in Morse Code when a real detailed explanation is needed. Did I say I found him interesting for my novel ?

I have had enough of you shit!

GO TO HELL prabhatM!

I take the time to explain myself to the OP... not you asshole!

You actually took time to DEFINE YOURSELF who you really are. Well done.
Edited
9 Years Ago by prabhatM
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

actually prabbat - In this case swoop was being quite helpful, even I learned something from it. You started with him, when he was pointing the way to someone that understood and uses max. I smiled when I saw him post after me. Thank you for being helpful and supportive swoop Cool

Edited
9 Years Ago by planetstardragon
prabhatM
prabhatM
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

planetstardragon (1/28/2015)
actually prabbat - In this case swoop was being quite helpful, even I learned something from it. You started with him, when he was pointing the way to someone that understood and uses max. I smiled when I saw him post after me. Thank you for being helpful and supportive swoop Cool

Did I say he was not being helpful ?

There is a definite pattern to his helpful notes.

I am sure you read the "Special Note" on Swoooop in my post. Remember that and observe his helpful notes after 5 weeks when his guards are down and he is not conscious of my observations.

You will have reasons to smile.

Or, you may browse his past TUTORIALS.

[ As a musician, I am sure you recognise a bad note. And as a former e-learning expert, I recognise a tutorial note that needs editing. Old habits die hard.]
Edited
9 Years Ago by prabhatM
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Thanks TUTOR!!!! AWESOME STUFF!!

Despite the other dudes butt-hurtness Tongue, I DO appreciate it VERY MUCH!! BigGrin

I had to merge two profile so I'm not as new at this as I seem, and I find this place to be very helpful, friendly and fun! Iclone rocks!

Cheers and thanks all!

Todd
Edited
9 Years Ago by tknight_20090922190925980

Reading This Topic