Begging for help!

Posted By tknight_20090922190925980 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Waaaaaazup
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hi,

I tried all below but no luck. As always, the .max looks great and the .obj has no textures or .jpgs applied.

Thanks for trying, had a couple of questions:

~ Place the COMPLETE obj (WITH the .mtl) and textures in your:
• C: drive "Or the drive you installed max."
• (64 bit or 32) Program Files
• Autodesk (Verison of your max)
• IMPORT Folder

DID THIS

Now, import that baby and EVERYTHING works beautifully! [Wow]

When I import the OBJ it contains no materials.

1. Import the model. - LIKE IMPORT THE OBJ?
2. Save your max scene. - RESAVE AS .MAX?

3. NOW PLACE ALL OF YOUR TEXTURES... in your "Newly Saved"......
(My Documents - 3dsMax) SCENE folder.

DID THIS

4. Reset Max to a blank scene.
5. Open your saved file.

LIKE OPEN THE .MAX SCENE?

I guess the problem is as usual, the .max looks great, the .obj has weird colors and no jpgs or materials included.

I want to be able to get a .max model and export it as an obj for import into 3d exchange but it never holds the materials.

If anyone wants to take another shot at it it would be much appreciated!

I tried to upload files but the site doesnt allow for .max or .obj

Thanks all, much appreciated!
Waaaaaazup
Waaaaaazup
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)

Here is the task in simple terms:

Buy a .max model
Export it as an obj with all assigned materials from 3dsmax
Import the .obj and it shows with all materials in .3ds max

That is what I want to be able to do in a nutshell!

Waaaaaazup
Waaaaaazup
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

UPLOADED SOME PHOTOS TO CLARIFY! - thanks to each of you!

Here are all of the files that the object came with:

Here is the .max loaded in, has all jpgs and material in it. I have included the render just so you can see.

When I export the .max as a .obj (with all correct settings) and then import it back into 3dsmax and this is what I get:

Any way to have it so that it imports as a .obj and shows some or all materials, textures, or .jpgs?

Thanks again!
Smile
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (19.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (19.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (19.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (19.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (19.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (19.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (19.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (19.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (19.9K reputation)

Last Active: 24 minutes ago
my quick noobie fix to this would be to export DAE from Max, then converting it with the Autodesk FBX convertor, then try importing that to 3DX5 w00t

as a newbie, i tend to focus on things I know worked, than things that are supposed to work!

Edited
6 Years Ago by planetstardragon
Waaaaaazup
Waaaaaazup
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Hey thanks! I will do this!

- export DAE from Max
- converting it with the Autodesk FBX convertor
- then try importing that to 3DX5

Waaaaaazup
Waaaaaazup
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Tried this, but upon DAE export is always gives me "material export fail"

If I put it into FBX convertor after that and load into 3dx5 it comes in as a totally white object.

Any ideas?
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (19.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (19.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (19.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (19.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (19.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (19.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (19.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (19.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (19.9K reputation)

ahh, but not a total fail, this is proving there is a problem with the material somewhere in Max. It may not be something you are doing wrong at all, but a bug.

You may have to do something that resets the materials, ie - baking the textures to new uv's to eliminate the error / bug

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

swoop, what if he deleted the .mtl file ....would that cause max to generate a new one or cause an error ?

edit - nevermind, i'm thinking an error, because if it's missing - max wont know where to look or max already converted the bad mat file and will only save the errors again.

Edited
6 Years Ago by planetstardragon
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

your advice is sound, what got me with this is that he's getting the export error with dae ...so it's evident that for some reason max isn't exporting files properly to begin with.

The notepad fix makes sense. Smile

Just wondering what other ways of resetting materials there are as I run into that issue as well. I do know that sometimes exporting to dae from a software sometimes fixes issues, but obviously not always.

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

yeah, but i can see the workflow in max be like

"Hey, I figured it out, I just passed the same file to you...not my problem if you can't fix it" lol

so just because it isn't an error to max, max may not do anything to make it friendly for anyone else, like their fbx fiasco and everyone making their own versions of it Pinch

Reading This Topic