Content Packs Updated (2015.01.08)

Posted By Peter (RL) 9 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
moviemachine
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 8 Years Ago
Regarding the Content Packs that are being doctored to run on iclone 6.

How will this affect the users of iclone 3, 4 & 5 should they ever have to go to their order history to re-download content?

Will the content still be useable in older versions?

RobertoColombo
RobertoColombo
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Moviemachine,

why would you need to re-install a pack that works fine in IC3/4/5 ?
For users of those version, if they do not have IC6, I think it's wise to NOT update the packs...

Instead if somebody has IC5 and IC6, the installer asks for which version the packs should be downloaded and there you can choose IC6.
This works as far as the IC5 content is separated by the one for IC6.

I am not aware of what does it happen if the same directory tree is shared between IC5 and IC6, a content pack is updated and re-installed, and then opened in IC5: I let RL answer about this.

In my case, I have IC5 and IC6 content separated.
It consumes more HD space but this way I am protected by any compatibility issue.

Cheers

Roberto

My PC:
OS: Windows 10 Pro English 64-bit / CPU: Intel i7-9700 3.6GHz / MB: ASUS ROG Strix Z390  RAM: 32GB DDR4 2.6GHz / HD: 2TB+3TB  /  
SSD: 2x512GB Samsung 860 EVO + 1x2TB Samsung
VB: Palit GTX2080 TI GamingPro 11GB / AB: embedded in the MB and VB (audio from the MOTU M4 I/F) / DirectX: 12

animagic
animagic
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
RobertoColombo (1/21/2015)
I am not aware of what does it happen if the same directory tree is shared between IC5 and IC6, a content pack is updated and re-installed, and then opened in IC5: I let RL answer about this.

In my case, I have IC5 and IC6 content separated.
It consumes more HD space but this way I am protected by any compatibility issue.

It is indeed safest to keep content separate between versions. When IC4 content was loaded in IC5 a conversion took place and content would no longer work in IC4. Reason was a different data structure. I haven't done extensive testing but something similar will probably the case for older content in IC6.

I'm doing some content sharing using shortcuts as I have a lot of IC5 content and I'm lazy.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

vidi
vidi
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
if Rl still converted, I'd would like a update for funny motion BigGrin
I use the not installed function . Actually a nice features, but ...
iC6 Content downloader downloaded these pack but nothing in the folders. Hehe

-------------------------------------------------------------------
liebe Grüße vidi

RobertoColombo
RobertoColombo
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)

Hallo Vidi,

if you refer to the pack "Funny motion for clown etc. etc." I have re-downloaded it and now it works fine.

I discussed a bit with RL & "soyasu" about how to re-install the updated packs and the conclusion was that it's better to launch the .exe installer in order to overwrite the previous data (the .rld instead asks if you want to RENAME them, and this creates dups).

Gruessen

Roberto

My PC:
OS: Windows 10 Pro English 64-bit / CPU: Intel i7-9700 3.6GHz / MB: ASUS ROG Strix Z390  RAM: 32GB DDR4 2.6GHz / HD: 2TB+3TB  /  
VB: Palit GTX2080 TI GamingPro 11GB / AB: embedded in the MB and VB (audio from the MOTU M4 I/F) / DirectX: 12

theschemer
theschemer
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Vidi,
I just renamed all the extensions in that pack to:

.iMotion

Works great! Smile
TS
moviemachine
moviemachine
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)

Roberto Colombo & Animagic,

Thanks for the responses.

I should clarify more:
My concern was that users of Ic 3,4,5, normally would not need to reinstall content packs,
But what if... in the case someone's computer dies....
Say for example it is an IC4 user, he has no other versions of iclone installed, just IC4

Now... when he gets a new computer and goes to his order page to reinstall content packs what will exist in those content packs?

Does RL keep all the old versions and make them available to old iclone version purchasers who may need to re-download at some point?
or will people find out that the content packs have been made obsolete.

Or another way of saying it is....

If someone had to redownload from the order page
Would the download installer have a pop up menu that would allow a choice of which iclone version to install into.
theschemer
theschemer
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Ok, I see. I don't know the answer to that as I started with iClone 5. Wink
TS
RobertoColombo
RobertoColombo
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

moviemachine (1/21/2015)
Roberto Colombo & Animagic,

Thanks for the responses.

I should clarify more:
My concern was that users of Ic 3,4,5, normally would not need to reinstall content packs,
But what if... in the case someone's computer dies....
Say for example it is an IC4 user, he has no other versions of iclone installed, just IC4

Now... when he gets a new computer and goes to his order page to reinstall content packs what will exist in those content packs?

Does RL keep all the old versions and make them available to old iclone version purchasers who may need to re-download at some point?
or will people find out that the content packs have been made obsolete.

Or another way of saying it is....

If someone had to redownload from the order page
Would the download installer have a pop up menu that would allow a choice of which iclone version to install into.

HI,

I see the point.
Well... in my case, I have 2 backup copies of all .exe install files.
Same for every SW I buy: I always keep the copies of the install files, serial number, install notes etc.
It requires to be a bit methodical and ordered, but when things happen, like a PC crash, or simply when you move to a new PC (like in my case), then you get paid back with a lot of interests.

In case this is not done, your question is more than valid and I suggest you to directly contact RL and ask it.
I see that now they are more responsive, probably because they have less than 1000 tickets per day, like it probably happened after the launch of IC6.

Cheers

Roberto

My PC:

Edited
9 Years Ago by RobertoColombo
moviemachine
moviemachine
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Yeah, thanks Roberto

Just trying to give a heads up on potential computer failures in future and how it will affect older content purchases.

Reading This Topic