Profile Picture

Do we need a film makers area of the forum?

Posted By toonarama 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
toonarama
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
There have been a couple of interesting threads started recently about the need/usefulness of threads relating to the actual film making process.

Perhaps the forum moderators could introduce a new section of the forum specifically for film makers - this is after all what the software is mainly for.

Within this forum we could have threads related to:

Questions regarding film making (ie as opposed to how to use the software)

Help/hints/tutorials related to film making

A place where people could post WIP scenes and/or scripts and ask for feedback

Making of films

Requests for collaboration

anything else related to the film making process

I certainly think it would help to have all such information gathered in one place.

Lost Filmmaker
Lost Filmmaker
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I don't know. I think there's a bit too much tech talk and not enough creative but to dedicate a forum to it? Another thing is, I'm really new so maybe some of the long time users would have better opinions.
colour
colour
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)

Getting Forum Members to participate in "any" Group activity, is like trying to get blood out of a stone. Ermm

Here are previous attempts:

1) Gabe's Production Thread using I "think" iC3. A lot of initial participation, however he never finished it. 

2) Stuckon3D's iC4 " Boot Camp". Only 3 showed any interest (Me, Alley & one other).

3) My Production Thread, to be led by Gabe, resulted in a number of personal insults aimed at Gabe. It never got off the ground, because of those insults.

4) My Production Thread, using Warlord's iC4 Tutorial main Project, started-out ok. with input from Warlord. It petered-out to with just me Posting, so I gave-up.

The majority of completed Storyline Clips are those Posted in the Annual Pinhead Community Projects. The remainder are possibly only about 10 completed clips.

Reallusion give us the tools to do the job. However, the Reallusion User Manual & video Tutorials don't give us the tools to Produce Storyline videos in a coherent logical manner. A common complaint over the years. Most  have given-up on producing Storyline Clips, because they're too difficult & take too long. The last Reallusion Community contest was "Dancing With The Avatars". Reallusion stated at the time, that they thought a Dance Video Contest would be easier to do, rather than a Storyline.

All of the above being said, I agree that we need a Forum dedicated to Storyline Producers & those wanting to produce them within a reasonable timescale.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REALLUSION FORUM ANNUAL PINHEAD COMMUNITY PROJECTS.

New Pinhead Website & Project to be announced in September 2015

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

wires
wires
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
We have the Tutorials, Tips and Tricks area already. There have been quite a few "How To" film style tutorials posted - most notably by our resident geniuses Mark and Warlord. Starting a new, almost duplicate, section would only add confusion to an already confused Forum - as far as posting discipline is concerned. Whistling

There are quite a few Forums available covering the subject matter - the TMUnderground Forum for example.

I think that, although somewhat disjointed, that we have enough areas and opportunities her to cover what you suggest.

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (21H2), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-536.99), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

moviemachine
moviemachine
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
Do we need a film makers area of the forum?

How about: Should there be a film makers development area in the software company?

Reallusion over the years has blatantly & willfully turned it's back in following up on the further development of it's initial groundbreaking and promising tools for film making.
In the old days some fine stuff was created with iclone and we dreamed and patiently waited for each new version in hope that it make movie making easier.
Well here we are... many years later with a bloated piece of software only able to produce dance clips and snippets of hi tech game clips.

Whatever happened to the promising world behind that DIRECTOR MODE button?
This was an area of the software that should have been followed up on to actually make the software a true "lights camera action" tool for making movies.

As for IC6, I really struggled about getting the free upgrade over the past month but in the end had to pass on it. Too much Tech, flash, and focus on getting iclone to work with 3rd party software. Why is Reallusion so addicted to wanting to run with the big dogs?

We as users should be putting out an Amber Alert for the return of our beloved software.
Somewhere along the way iclone got abducted and is no longer identifyable because the spots on Reallusion's coat keep changing.Angry

Lost Filmmaker
Lost Filmmaker
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
How about if we add some Hints, Tips and Tutorials about making films? For example; screenwriting with Celtx, master lighting and composition, editing and sound design. Maybe it'll spark some more interest and help improve our productions.

Or it won't. Tongue
toonarama
toonarama
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)

Thank you for your replies

I wasn't thinking of a separate forum - just a specified area of this forum. We already have one for tips and tutorials for using iclone so why not a specific area for cinematography

I am aware there is some great tutorials etc already out there but it would be helpful if they were held/referenced in one place. Couldn't old posts be moved?

I wasn't thinking particularly about structured collaboration because - as you say Colour - this rarely works. But it could be a place where - for example - someone asks for volunteer voice actors.

Edited
10 Years Ago by toonarama
rampart
rampart
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Reallusion produces film/video making software applications.
Reallusion offers for sale content items to facilitate film/video productions.
The forums is focused on people who are using Reallusion for making film/video productions

What happens is the focus is broadened over the years.
If you have a sub-forums you think would be important to the community... speak up.

You have landed on the place where Reallusion animated film/video producers gather, share and discuss. It may not get any better than this.

Reallusion is still very focused on animated video production from everything I read and see.

A note on collaboration between ourselves. That is a no brainer you can always request for someone to read one of your scripts, have them record it and send it back to you. You would be surprised at the quality of equipment many icloners have for producing video productions. There are all kinds of software tools we could easily use to collaborate on projects. All you have to do is ask and discuss. You will be astonished, there are people who may not be as talented in some areas...but others. You can make friends, share and make some videos with others and all you do is share the credit, etc.

You may not feel confident to a collaboration as you are just learning. Keep learning until you get past that.

Think about this. Successful animated videos and films are collaborative works. Yes, many pay for the collaborations, but there are others where people join together and produce some amazing results.

Edited
10 Years Ago by rampart
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
An interesting idea.

It seems like we start a lot of individual threads as the mood (or need) hits us.  We already have the "General" sections.

How detailed would it be?

• Film makers meeting place
    • Script
    • Camera
    • Editing
    • Lighting
    • Sets
    • Etc.

It would be nice for finding information, but I fear the theory wouldn't survive reality.  Test number one; could we ever stay on topic?

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

rampart
rampart
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Justaviking

It would be nice for finding information, but I fear the theory wouldn't survive reality. Test number one; could we ever stay on topic?

I laughed aloud when I read this.

Reading This Topic