Change of Face / VNS Face Templates

Posted By JC Weatherby 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
JC Weatherby
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Check out:

http://www.reallusion.com/iclone/help/iclone5/PRO/

Open "Head"

Select the article: "Full Head Morph"

OK, this article explains how to use the CUSTOM button in the iClone 5 HEAD>FACES>MODIFY>FACIAL FEATURES>HEAD panel to create custom faces "Using Custom Head Morph Template." Basically, this says it's possible for me to apply a custom Head/Face template.

But the process for actually CREATING a custom Head/Face template, described in the online help articles, doesn't actually work. Firstly, it only applies to G3 heads, according the article below. Secondly, when I follow the instructions I am not able to actually export a VNS file which Iclone 5 Pro needs to do the custom Head/Face modification.

The article links to this 2nd article:

http://www.reallusion.com/templates/linkcount/linkcount.asp?lid=enu_3DX4_Head_Morph

Which explains the process in more detail. Basically, this article gives the following instructions:

1. Export a default head from the Head Morph>Head Model Panel in 3D Exchange.
2. Modify the head in another program, export as OBJ
3. Import your modified OBJ back into 3D Exchange.
4. Export Custom Head to Head-Morphing Template by clicking "Export" in the "Head Morph" section of 3D Exchange as VNS file.

The problem comes about when I try to do this. For practical purposes, I skipped the step of actually modifying the default head from 3D Exchange. There is no VNS export option when I go to do the final step. I only have the option to export OBJ.

I understand this only works for G3 heads. When I try to export a default head from 3D Exchange I have the option to export a G5 head or G4 head. I've tried both, thinking that I could use a G4 head to export a backward compatible G3 head... and still cannot get the VNS export function to work.

So, to sum up, The Custom Head feature in iClone 5 - as described Reallusion's online tutorials - doesn't appear to actually work. Why would there be a "Custom" button in the Iclone 5 HEAD>FACE>MODIFY>FACIAL FEATURES>HEAD panel if it is not actually possible to CREATE a HEAD FACE template in the first place? And Why would it not be possible to do this with G5 HEADS? I've been banging me head on this issue to for months, thinking I'm just overlooking a step. Does anyone have any idea what's going on here?

w00t

mtakerkart
mtakerkart
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Hi JC ,

May be I didn't understand your problem but
For me it works , you can't switch head generation , and the very important thing , when you modify your head in other 3d application , never change the number of polygons , you can only move it . 3dcoat do the job very well , sculptris doesn't works sometime , I don't know for blender.

Hope this help
Galfridus
Galfridus
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
This doesn’t work for me either using “Export Model” head routine. The modified head fails to load back every time despite the fact I only move polygons not change the number. I use the old software Argile2, once promoted by RL, for this.

However......Something similar which does work for me is:-

Load character in Iclone. E.g Chuck

Click edit in 3dx

In 3DX select RL_FACE and export that mesh via the “Replace Mesh Panel”.

Modify mesh and save as .obj (again I use Argile 2 for this).

This .obj file I can successfully and reliably bring back in 3DX with Import Model button in “Head Morph panel”.

Option to export/save as Head.vns now becomes available.

Back in Iclone I can use the Head/Face/Custom panel to navigate to the location of saved Head.vns and apply the morphed characteristics to the head of any currently selected avatar of same generation.

Found this some time ago by trial and error after becoming so frustrated with failure of documented method.

Maybe it will work for you JC W ?

Geoff.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ba17ca1f-2bbe-4b61-819c-6bdf.png

JC Weatherby
JC Weatherby
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)

Mtakerkart, I'm with you on all that.Smile
JC Weatherby
JC Weatherby
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Galfridus, reading your post I realized what I was doing wrong.

I brought the head in through FILE>OPEN, instead of HEAD MORPH>IMPORT MODEL.

When I do that HEAD MORPH>EXPORT (!not the "Export Model" button!) becomes available and I can export VNS.

THANKS!

Cool

JC Weatherby
JC Weatherby
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

This DOES work for G5 heads.
animagic
animagic
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Glad you got it sorted! I was trying it myself just now with a G5 head using the instructions you referred to and I was successful. It would probably have helped to have the button labeled "Export Morph" to more clearly distinguish it from the other export options.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Reading This Topic