Posted By Dreamcube017 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Option to change custom and template folders in Settings

Author
Dreamcube017
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I had to reinstall iClone on a new OS and all the content is still in an old folder. I don't want to copy all the content over, I would just like to point iClone to the right directory. I understand you can do it in the registry (not sure exactly where though), but if I could do it in the settings, that would be really good. Thanks.

----------------------------------------------------
***BEST OF THE CORE**
:A music reel demonstrating the different types of music I produce for multimedia. Hope everyone enjoys.

Player not working? Use this link.

My other audio work.

Facebook page:

Creation begins at the core.
wires
wires
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
There are no settings within iClone to select the content paths. Suring the install you are offered the chance to select both the content paths, if you just click on OK without reading the message then everything gets put in the default location.

I can't remember the registry location for the entries, but you could uninstall iClone and reinstall it taking care to select your content path when asked.

Assets can also be imported from any location when needed - I do this a lot when using items from my IC3 and 4 custom folders.

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (21H2), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-536.99), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

Edited
10 Years Ago by wires
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
+1

This has been mentioned before, and once again I'll add my support for more "options" regarding the location of your iClone assets.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

animagic
animagic
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
+1 from me too. I happen to know the registry settings, but that is not really a great option. Of course, if it becomes a configurable item, the user should take some responsibility if iClone can't find their content.

Just did some research and this has been requested about a year ago. Peter was going to mention it to the devs. I also found my earlier post with instructions for the registry edits for iClone 5. This was for moving the Template directory for people with a small SSD, but it would be the same for Custom.

Assuming you are on Windows 64-bit:

Open regedit and go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Reallusion\iClone\5.0

Among the values are the two main content directories listed: "Custom Data" and "Template Data".

You will want to change "Template Data" to the new location. If there is enough space then it would be best to have Template Data share its path with Custom Data, just to keep things neat.

There are also two shared content directories: "Shared Custom Data" and "Shared Template Data". It's is probably best to leave those where they are.

CAUTION 1: Before you make any changes to the registry, it is best to export the iClone 5.0 node. (Go to File ==> Export.)

CAUTION 2: Most content is loaded in projects and saved, so you will most likely not have problems. Videos are not, which is relevant for certain water effects, but these are mostly saved in the Shared directories. But you may run into issues.

NOTE: If you are on an 32-bit OS the registry path would be:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Reallusion\iClone\5.0

Hope this will give temporary relief.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Edited
10 Years Ago by animagic
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 32 minutes ago
I wonder if it is possible to just have a "shortcut" in the default location that is a pointer to your real content folder?

I did manage to read the installer last time I did a re-install, but yeah, easily missed.
animagic
animagic
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
@Rampa: One option is to create a so-called "hard symbolic link". Other than a shortcut, a hard symbolic link is seen by the application as the folder or file it is pointing to being in the actual location of the symbolic link.

More here: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 32 minutes ago
That looks like the safest post-install solution Animagic.

Just creating shortcuts didn't work. I just tried it.
GreedyPeopleSuck
GreedyPeopleSuck
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
The best way to do this is definitely is with symbolic links. In the case of cloud storage, you can backup the files to dropbox as you go along, which makes using two machines a lot easier to sync. Found this thread trying to solve the same problem.

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/microsoft/make-dropbox-sync-any-folder-on-your-pc-using-symbolic-links/
Edited
7 Years Ago by nadiak

Reading This Topic