Profile Picture

Exporting Parts of a Set for Use in Other Files?

Posted By bud_20121023184423262 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
bud_20121023184423262
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 8 Years Ago
Hi Folks,

I'm building a set in an iClone project file. It occurs to me that a building I constructed in a previous file would work great in this new project.

Is there a way I can save that building from the old file and import it into the new file?

Or do I have to build it all over again from scratch?

I'm using iClone 5.5. I do have 3DXchange, if that helps. The building was constructed withing iClone using the walls/floors that come with iClone.

I know how to save props. I have tried selecting all the building elements and then adding them as a prop. But as soon as I select more than one element the + symbol gets grayed out.

Any ideas?

Peace,
Bud

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
iClone 6.21
Character Creator 1.2
3.07GHz Intel Core i7 machine running Windows 7 Pro (v 6.1.7601 SP1)
6GB RAM
EVGA GTX 970 (2 gig video memory)

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 36 minutes ago
Hi Bud,

If you use the "Attach" feature, you can do it. Choose one object to be the parent, like the floor. Select each part and attach it to the floor. Now, when you select the floor, everything attached to it is a part of it.

Save the parent (floor) to your props folder.

You can add a dummy if you would rather attach everything to the dummy. Then, just save the dummy.
bud_20121023184423262
bud_20121023184423262
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)

Thank you, Rampa!

I knew there must be a way. It was driving me nuts. I will try this next time I'm iCloning. Will let y'all know if I have any trouble.

I'm psyched to be able to use this set/prop in my new file!

Peace,
Bud

iClone 6.21
Character Creator 1.2
6GB RAM

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
you can save it as a prop - if you used several parts to make one prop - just be sure to link them together before you save, so they all save as one group.

bud_20121023184423262
bud_20121023184423262
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks, Guys,

Just by way of an update, for me, in my version/setup (iClone 5.1 on a Win7) linking did not work, but it's possible I did something wrong. May run the experiment again some other time, but for now I'm happy because . . . "Attaching" DID work. I attached most everything to a dummy, but some related objects (door, door sign, door handle) I placed in their own "chain" with the base object also attached to the dummy and I was able to save and use it in another project, which is exactly what I'd hoped to do.

Thank you for all the great advice.

Peace,
Bud

iClone 6.21
Character Creator 1.2
6GB RAM

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 36 minutes ago
You are correct in that you have to use "attach". "Link" is only active for the current scene, and will not be saved as an accessory, or part.

Links will be preserved in saved projects.
Edited
10 Years Ago by rampa
Muppetous
Muppetous
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (327 reputation)Senior Member (327 reputation)Senior Member (327 reputation)Senior Member (327 reputation)Senior Member (327 reputation)Senior Member (327 reputation)Senior Member (327 reputation)Senior Member (327 reputation)Senior Member (327 reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
I have a question. I've created a Building with lots of sub-props attached, but loading it up into each scene takes a while, and causes the program to lag when it is loaded. Adding actors with animations is fine whilst the building is hidden, but I'd rather not have to keep hiding it whilst I animate.

My question is, would it be possible to make/convert this Building (and all its sub-props) into just one prop, with no sub-props (without removing them, of course). I'm assuming that this may make the Building a little kinder to my PC.

I tried loading it into 3DXchange to see if there was a way, but I'm fairly new to it, and have no idea what I'm doing there.

Is it possible, and if so, how? Any help would be appreciated.
Cricky
Cricky
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Skype ID= learn.iclone

Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Muppetous (1/1/2015)
I have a question. I've created a Building with lots of sub-props attached, but loading it up into each scene takes a while, and causes the program to lag when it is loaded. Adding actors with animations is fine whilst the building is hidden, but I'd rather not have to keep hiding it whilst I animate.

My question is, would it be possible to make/convert this Building (and all its sub-props) into just one prop, with no sub-props (without removing them, of course). I'm assuming that this may make the Building a little kinder to my PC.

I tried loading it into 3DXchange to see if there was a way, but I'm fairly new to it, and have no idea what I'm doing there.

MERGE is the process you are wanting to do. It may make it easier to turn on/off but it won't reduce the load on the scene, and may actually put more strain on it besides.

Even if the item is only attached, you just need to turn off the top item and all attachments will also turn off, so it's more of a convenience thing.

Try switching the items to wire frame and see if that reduces the load for you.

You can MERGE in 3dxChange or iClone.

SKYPE ID: rc.650

http://city.reallusion.com/store/ModuleExpand.aspx?id=GS634545170497417354&mdid=18866

http://city.reallusion.com/ContentTag.aspx?tagname=Cricky&AuthorID=20081020688550191201#]Reallusion Store Content

" If I had Alzheimer's (Old Timers), would I know it? "
Edited
9 Years Ago by Cricky
wires
wires
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Muppetous (1/1/2015)

Merging a set of sub-props into one single prop will not reduce the total Polygon count, or the materials/textures size.

Having a prop made up of sub-props can offer you the advantage of setting up a scene and then deleting those sub-props not visible/required - thus reducing the load on your computer. Hiding objects in iClone doesn't really free up that much memory - changing the Pixel Shading mode to either Quick or Smooth Shading will reduce the memory load. Or you could try the method below.

Set up a Master scene using your building and the lighting etc. required - save this as a Project. Next adjust everything for one scene and delete everything from your building that can't be seen by the camera - you can select the items in the scene manager window. Add your avatars etc. and save this Project as Scene 1, or whatever. Reopen your Master Project and repeat this for the next scenes, each time saving the Project with a new name.

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (21H2), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-536.99), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

Muppetous
Muppetous
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (327 reputation)Senior Member (327 reputation)Senior Member (327 reputation)Senior Member (327 reputation)Senior Member (327 reputation)Senior Member (327 reputation)Senior Member (327 reputation)Senior Member (327 reputation)Senior Member (327 reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Thank you both for your suggestions.

I've seen the Merge option before, not knowing what it did. If it won't make a difference to the lag though, I might stick to the "Hide/Unhide" method.

The Building is split into 3 sections, inside each are tables, bars, pool area, TV area etc etc, each with their own attachments. The 3 sections are attached to the street, so it's all set up to be conveniently switched on and off. I was just hoping for a way to keep it all visible whilst working.

You say that Hiding an object won't make much of a difference, but I've found that it does. When the Building is hidden the animations are much much smoother. Maybe it's just my PC Specs, they're not too impressive. Even having the Timeline open causes some lag, when I'm lip-syncing. Makes it look like a badly dubbed Bruce Lee movie.

As for the "Master Scene" idea, I already have that set up. I read other posts suggesting deleting everything behind the camera, but overlooked it for other ideas.

I shall try the Pixel Shading idea, and see if it makes a difference. Or perhaps change the way I set up the scenes (I'm a third of the way through) for the rest of the video.

Again, thank you both for your suggestions.

Reading This Topic