Name audio clips to match imported filename

Posted By justaviking 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
justaviking
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Week
You have the ability to rename imported audio clips, but in most cases you shouldn't have to.

But iClone gives all the imported audio clips generic names.

REQUEST:

• The name of an audio clip on the timeline should match the imported filename
  • Append a numeric suffix when needed, if you import the same filename more than once

EXAMPLE:

• A lot of people do recording in an outside audio tool, such as Audacity
  • So you generate a small audio file (WAV or MP3) for each line of dialogue
    • Hello.mp3
    • Do you like my hat.mp3
    • I do not.mp3
    • Goodbye.mp3
  • You might also have some sound effects or music tracks
    • Theme song.mp3
    • FX-Honk.mp3
    • FX-Bang.mp3
    • FX-Squeek.mp3
  • When you look at the timeline, you cannot tell which clip is which
    • They get generic names like "Audio1" and "Audio2" and "Audio3" or something like that, which doesn't really help when you have a lot of sounds, music, and dialogue

Okay, it's not like solving world hunger, but since you can rename the clips manually, why not automatically give them a more useful name when they're imported?

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Week
Hey, it sort of works...

I just added some externally recorded dialogue ("Import Voice") and it got named, just like I want it to.

But the other clips from before - ADDED THE SAME WAY -  are all labeled, "AudioFile."

I wonder what happens if I save the project, exit iClone, and open the project again.

Too busy to test right now.  Sorry.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Reading This Topic