Profile Picture

iClone still not fully working...

Posted By JaesonX 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
JaesonX
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (338 reputation)Senior Member (338 reputation)Senior Member (338 reputation)Senior Member (338 reputation)Senior Member (338 reputation)Senior Member (338 reputation)Senior Member (338 reputation)Senior Member (338 reputation)Senior Member (338 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
I've already posted in other sections & took some good re-installation advice from there but the problems remain; while the main program still executes, drag & drop is still not working, file associations are still corrupted & I'm still unable to connect to the internet for updates from within iClone (LiveUpdate seems unaffected).

And, more importantly, STILL no reply from customer support. That is, apart from the advertising division who took interest when I mentioned I'd used iClone while working on Game Of Thrones Season 4 & were looking for some publicity.

Rest assured, I am duty-bound to tell everyone about about this software.
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Hi Jaeson,

not a common problem - and usually a re-install fixes any corrupt installations.

but since you tried that - it's obviously some other factor ....

things that come to mind that can cause this - security software. Some security software are very strict with how they allow programs to function and will limit their ability to communicate with the rest of the system correctly.

Corrupt drive - although i think this would be a long shot as you would see issues around the rest of your system as well.

wild card guesses - run a dirxdiag - (direct x diagnosis ) - though my hunch is that it will show as fine.....or a sfc /scannow command to make sure your os files are working fine.

Also, are you logging in as an administrator ? that's another potential issue, depending on how your system is set up.

My instinct tells me this is a security issue, where iclone is being sandboxed or severely disabled for safety reasons. some firewalls can cause an issue like this, since it views all programs other than the os as a potential hazard, and in some cases the os files as well if you have the rules set up to be strict. in fact, one time i crippled my system experimenting with security lol Smile

JaesonX
JaesonX
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (338 reputation)Senior Member (338 reputation)Senior Member (338 reputation)Senior Member (338 reputation)Senior Member (338 reputation)Senior Member (338 reputation)Senior Member (338 reputation)Senior Member (338 reputation)Senior Member (338 reputation)

Yeah, we established that Avast had a problem with ICTimelineU.dll & restoring it from the virus vault doesn't seem to help. I'll try some more combinations but I'm restricted/frustrated by work schedules at the moment.
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

it might be easier to do a fresh install, with the awareness that avast may cause a false positive - at least you can exempt the software from avast in advance - and maybe even disable avast during the install, just in case it is crippling the install itself.

Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
JaesonX (4/20/2014)

And, more importantly, STILL no reply from customer support. That is, apart from the advertising division who took interest when I mentioned I'd used iClone while working on Game Of Thrones Season 4 & were looking for some publicity.

Rest assured, I am duty-bound to tell everyone about about this software.

Jaeson the last support ticket I can find from you (using your registered email address) was back in January. This question was also related to Avast and I replied to you then. You can check for any replies in your Member Account.

Have you sent a Support Ticket since using a different email address other than your registered one?

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

JaesonX
JaesonX
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Thanks Peter.

After a lot of digging, most of the recent trouble seems to have stemmed from Comodo Free Firewall. While the iClone application was allowed, the Reallusion update component was blocked which disallowed signing in, connection to update &, bizarrely, the drag-&-drop functionality.

You have to go into the guts of Comodo to find it (their forums weren't too helpful) & there's still some minor glitches to iron out but I seem to have most of my functionality back for now.

I hope this helps anyone else having problems.
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Great to read you found it Jason, ...yeah ...that's definitely one of them,

Best way to fix it imo is simply do a reinstall - then comodo will see it as new files and you can set the approvals right from the start, this will hopefully save you the time for digging through whatever rules were set up....that is a pain since comodo can be vague as to where it stored it's rules.

Comodo and Avast, oh my...you are brave!! w00t

Cheers BigGrin

ps - just a tip from experience - it's not good to have over the top security, because in reality if someone has it out for you...they can use your own security software against you - and the altered security software may end up preventing another from doing a good job, thus making the point of having extra security, moot. Better than over the top security is simply doing regular maintenance on your computer / good computer hygiene and running offline scanners regularly. Sure beats having a TSR security software turn rogue on you - that's for sure! lol - plus the computer runs faster too.

The internet is really a glass house, no amount of software in our current state can protect you from a mastermind, your best defense is to be a fun loving person that likes people :p

Edited
10 Years Ago by planetstardragon
JaesonX
JaesonX
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

'Because if you're dealing with somebody who has the sort of mentality which likes leaving hats on the pavement with bricks under them you know perfectly well they won't give up. They'll get you in the end.” - Douglas Adams (from The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe)

You're right; there is no defense against idiots, especially criminal idiots.

Zonealarm used to be my choice of firewall until it started forcing it's own adware into my system & I gave up on Norton & their like long ago for the same reason. Comodo & Avast will do for now but I know I'll change them too.

Maybe we should do a sticky for this. My own solution to the problem was like a Scooby-Doo mystery of following clues through Google searches & trusted forums. Even after that it was a lucky mouse click that got me back to an operable state.
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

zonealarm was the software that taught me how security software can work against you lol.

when you make music and art, and live a crazy life on the net like I do....you make friends from all walks of life lol - I love em all actually ...wait ...naw ...I love them too!! hahaha! Smile

Reading This Topic