Can I use MS TTS Voices Commercially?

Posted By ForumGuru 11 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
ForumGuru
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (590 reputation)Veteran Member (590 reputation)Veteran Member (590 reputation)Veteran Member (590 reputation)Veteran Member (590 reputation)Veteran Member (590 reputation)Veteran Member (590 reputation)Veteran Member (590 reputation)Veteran Member (590 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Yeah, I know its a third party question but I figure someone here should know for sure. Smile

After researching for hours I think I can use the MS TTS voices I install in CrazyTalk commercially but I want to be sure.

Could someone please advise and/or point me to proper documentation.

From what I have read at MS I think I can but I want to be sure.

Thanks a million.

Regards.
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
commercially the 3rd party tts developers are going to charge you more for a license, the 3rd party voices aren't royalty free. Technically you aren't supposed to even upload their voices to youtube without getting an extra license from them. It's been discussed before on the forum.
I've yet to hear of it being enforced though, but it's not to say it hasn't been or can't be.

The base microsoft voices are royalty free. make sure you check the agreements, terms and conditions and price lists if any on the voice of choice you use before going into production.

Edited
11 Years Ago by planetstardragon
ForumGuru
ForumGuru
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (590 reputation)Veteran Member (590 reputation)Veteran Member (590 reputation)Veteran Member (590 reputation)Veteran Member (590 reputation)Veteran Member (590 reputation)Veteran Member (590 reputation)Veteran Member (590 reputation)Veteran Member (590 reputation)

So you are confirming that the MS voices can be used commercially... That's what I figured but the only documentation I could find was on the MS speech engine being redistributable...so from that I assumed from that the voices can be used in commercial vids and animations. I never did find any other actual ToS, EULA, or MS documentation that confirmed the MS Voices were fully royalty free other than that.

Yes, I have done extensive research of other third party voices and fully realize a commercial license is needed for commercial use which is quite expensive with most of the third party providers. Yes, I did research this forum before I posted and found a couple mentions on the commercial use of the MS voices.

All I care about on this post is the use of the MS voices being fully royalty free...

This is the best documentation I could find referencing "redistributable"...if you have anything better please link it here.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd266409%28v=office.14%29.aspx

I am very interested in CrazyTalk since xtranormal bit the dust.

Thanks much.
Edited
11 Years Ago by ForumGuru
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

wow, they did ? that stinks, xtranormal was a cute service! - welcome here, glad to have you! BigGrin

and yes on the voices, last I heard, the microsoft tts voices are royalty free - doesn't look like they make it clear though just in case they want to change their minds lol - these companies can be funny like that.

Q: How many Microsoft hardware engineers does it take to change a light bulb?
A: None, they redifine darkness as an industry standard...

Edited
11 Years Ago by planetstardragon
wendyluvscatz
wendyluvscatz
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Senior Forum Member

Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)

OMG xtranormal are moving to mobile
that is the scariest think I have heard all year!!
all those mindless youtube animations creatable in reach of an android phone or iPad!!!

mos6507
mos6507
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)

Last Active: 10 Years Ago
Technically Xtranormal's IP is now owned by a company called Nawmal and that has nothing to do with Tellagami. You can sign up for a mailing list there if you'd like to follow along with what they'll be doing.

Edited
10 Years Ago by mos6507
rampart
rampart
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
I bought the RL voice pack and it is pretty good and price wasn't bad.

http://www.reallusion.com/creative/creative_NeoSpeech.aspx

The microsoft voices suck and sound like bots.

Always interesting to me... how viewers are so critical of voices and they are looking at animated graphics. Viewers can be down right mean about the voices too. I mean everything they are looking at is fantasy, yet they expect real human voices.

I think we can blame that on Disney and the movie industry for using celebrity identifiable voices in their animated productions. Wink

Now, when someone complains about synthesized voices I ask why not. The production is fantasy...why not the characters voices.

I suggest to get the best voices you can as possible, but you will never make 100% of your viewers happy. Human viewers think of it as some kind of thing they have exposed when they attack your synthesized voices. w00t

Your only real priority should be to keep your viewers interested enough to view your videos.

Edited
10 Years Ago by rampart
ForumGuru
ForumGuru
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

@6507 --> Thanks for the info!

@ rampart --> Too bad you can't use the RL voice pack for public youtube videos or other similar public display.

The last word on this from Peter was here:

https://forum.reallusion.com/FindPost164023.aspx

Much of my communications with the professional voice companies was posted prior to that on the same thread:

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic132009-281-7.aspx

In short...to display the voices publicly we need a license for the voice that can run near $1000.

Regards,

-don
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

ForumGuru (4/28/2014)

@ rampart --> Too bad you can't use the RL voice pack for public youtube videos or other similar public display.

Wow, not even non-commercial public displays?  So, no Pinhead projects?  Man, that is really restrictive.  Why buy it at all?  I could think of easier ways to entertain myself for free.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

ForumGuru
ForumGuru
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

justaviking (4/28/2014)
ForumGuru (4/28/2014)

Wow, not even non-commercial public displays? So, no Pinhead projects? Man, that is really restrictive. Why buy it at all? I could think of easier ways to entertain myself for free.

I hear you...not much reason to purchase if you are going to follow the license terms, unless you are doing "private" showings.

I received the info straight from the big shots at NeoSpeech. In-fact I want back and forth with NeoSpeech and RL for almost a week and the final word was nope, no public displays. I contacted every major voice provider via phone and/or email and they all said thing --> you need a commercial/audio distribution license for public display no matter if your end use is commercial or not.

Regards,

-don

Edited
10 Years Ago by ForumGuru

Reading This Topic