Posted By LeeHounshell 11 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Using Google Photosphere 360 panoramas in iClone as scene backgrounds

Author
LeeHounshell
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Hi,

Google has created an interesting Android camera app called "Photosphere" that can take
360-degree spherical photos using your smartphone. These are the same sort of photos that
you currently see in Google's "street view" maps application. I recently got it working for
my Galaxy S4 phone, and attached a sample picture taken from my backyard to this post.

What I'd like to do is use photosphere panoramas just like Apparition's iCloramas Terrain.
(see http://city.reallusion.com/ContentPreview.aspx?i=JIC61e401f9bd5fcd997)
If we can make it work, it will become simple to create photo realistic spherical terrain for iClone of anywhere.

I am asking help of the more experienced developers here to create a blank sky-dome and floor model
that we can use to attach photosphere photos onto. I hope I can get interest in helping with this.
I think a resource allowing easy use of photosphere pictures in iClone would be of great use to everybody.

If you want to find out more, try googling "photosphere app" and "photosphere picture" - there are many examples on the web.

-Lee

Attachments
PANO_20130710_SF.jpg (2.8K views, 2.00 MB)
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 11 hours ago
You can map them to the existing sky dome.

Load any sky.
Double click on the "diffuse" tile. It will be the only one with anything in, most likely.
Select your photosphere image in the dialogue that has opened.

There is a good chance they'll be a bit fuzzy, unless they are very high resolution.

You can also look in the "3D Space" folder in the props for the "dome" and the "360 sky". Both of these primitives are already mapped for spherical imagery.
Cricky
Cricky
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Skype ID= learn.iclone

Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
LeeHounshell (7/10/2013)
Hi,

Google has created an interesting Android camera app called "Photosphere" that can take
360-degree spherical photos using your smartphone. These are the same sort of photos that
you currently see in Google's "street view" maps application. I recently got it working for
my Galaxy S4 phone, and attached a sample picture taken from my backyard to this post.

What I'd like to do is use photosphere panoramas just like Apparition's iCloramas Terrain.
(see http://city.reallusion.com/ContentPreview.aspx?i=JIC61e401f9bd5fcd997)
If we can make it work, it will become simple to create photo realistic spherical terrain for iClone of anywhere.

I am asking help of the more experienced developers here to create a blank sky-dome and floor model
that we can use to attach photosphere photos onto. I hope I can get interest in helping with this.
I think a resource allowing easy use of photosphere pictures in iClone would be of great use to everybody.

If you want to find out more, try googling "photosphere app" and "photosphere picture" - there are many examples on the web.

-Lee

As already stated the props are available in the default install.

A Sample of it was done in approx. 5 minutes.

Panoramic Scene_Using Your Image

Scene Composition is:

One 360 Panorama Image (Yours)

One 360 Geo-sphere with Inverse Normals (Turned In) or a Default 360 Sky

One Default 3D Space Ground Plane using a (30) Tiled Image of an extracted Grassy Area from the original image.

Four Point Lights (Default 4 Point Lights Evenly Lighted)

A sample of the results using your image provided here:

http://youtu.be/RCO8EvRjKkc

SKYPE ID: rc.650

http://city.reallusion.com/store/ModuleExpand.aspx?id=GS634545170497417354&mdid=18866

http://city.reallusion.com/ContentTag.aspx?tagname=Cricky&AuthorID=20081020688550191201#]Reallusion Store Content

" If I had Alzheimer's (Old Timers), would I know it? "
LeeHounshell
LeeHounshell
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)

Thank you Cricky and Rampa! You guys rock!!!

Cricky, your animation is amazing. I had no idea this could be done so quickly with existing props.
Your work is outstanding. w00t

Everybody, Cricky was kind enough to PM me with a download of his iProp using this panorama.
If anyone wants a copy for their personal use, just PM me and I'll send you a copy of his work.
The location is Sydney G Walton Square in San Francisco.

Thank you!!!

-Lee
DELETED2
DELETED2
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.2K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Last Active: 9 Years Ago
This is very interesting for sure. Many thanks for bringing it to my attentions, I didnt know about this. Excellent quality and definition. This opens up the potential for opening a Library Galery where the world contributes their environment into it and animators can download it to create a 3D hi-def scene of anywhere suited to their storyboard. in the long term. Still early days I wonder.
Bravo.

LeeHounshell
LeeHounshell
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I like that idea. Consider the San Francisco park photo a 1st contribution to the "world library."
Anyone is free to use it for any purpose. I'd love to be able to make use of photosphere photos that others create in my projects as well.

Perhaps until we have a web site up and running where scenery contributions are placed, we can just
post photosphere photos intended for free use to this thread.

I'd be interested to hear if others think this a useful idea as well.

-Lee
azkakh19
azkakh19
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
I absolutely love your work. I have a question can we use a similar scene in a multiplayer unity game. So that two people can stand at the same point say the ground in this example. Will be waiting for your reply. Thank you Smile 

Reading This Topic