Space Navigator support needed

Posted By Sombrero76 11 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
justaviking
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
will2power71 (7/23/2015)
I put in a test scene of a neighborhood, and when I tried to pan out it took nearly five minutes of mouse scroll wheel to get as far back as I needed.

This does not eliminate the valid request for Space Navigator support, but...

Don't forget about the "accelerator" key.

Holding the Shift key will move the camera (or objects) much faster.  (Control key slows things down).

Keyboard Shortcuts

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

ledlight
ledlight
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (509 reputation)Veteran Member (509 reputation)Veteran Member (509 reputation)Veteran Member (509 reputation)Veteran Member (509 reputation)Veteran Member (509 reputation)Veteran Member (509 reputation)Veteran Member (509 reputation)Veteran Member (509 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
will2power71 (7/23/2015)
...The more likely issue is that whoever's in charge doesn't place a priority on what you're asking for, and they count on you not knowing programming.

Even a programmer might accept it's not straight forward to implement. Perhaps Unreal is a bit of a mess under the hood. Maybe it's a mix of nice modules with some old legacy spaghetti. Or maybe the implementation is 90% easy and 10% conflict with some aspect of the view. So they can't release something that will cause bugs or conflicts even if it's only minor. Who really knows?

Although you're right that when many other 3d applications support the 3d mouse, suspicion is high. So it may be a combination of annoying implementation issues; fear of needing to support a new thing; adding to testing; reluctance to support just one brand of mouse; lack of fans in the Unreal / iClone production teams. That leaves only tumble weeds blowing in the wishful features thread!

will2power71
will2power71
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
redrum (7/23/2015)

Even a programmer might accept it's not straight forward to implement. Perhaps Unreal is a bit of a mess under the hood. Maybe it's a mix of nice modules with some old legacy spaghetti. Or maybe the implementation is 90% easy and 10% conflict with some aspect of the view. So they can't release something that will cause bugs or conflicts even if it's only minor. 

If we were talking about something new, I might be inclined to agree with you. However, this is, in my opinion a case where someone thinks it's not important enough to pursue and until that changes or they allow third parties to develop it, we're not going to see it. I like to call this particular phenomena in technology: "It's a Windows 8 thing..." Where the users have one set of desires when it comes to what and why they want something, and the Company has a set of desires when it comes to features they want to implement for whatever their reasons may be. I'm not saying it as a bad thing --it's just been my experience that when it comes to wish lists, you're at the mercy of the Corporate Vision. 

That's why I put Poser on the shelf. I was hoping they would get some more tools in and can some practices that were making things too difficult to work with. Smith Micro decided they wanted to get into game design, and ignored improving it's animation skill set or improving their models, or adopting a more standardized format. They added a ton of new features, which I only found one or two actually improved any sort of animating efforts. In the end, I had to end a decade long relationship with Poser, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because my efforts were suffering and I couldn't afford to keep working like that.

That's not to imply anything about Reallusion. I believe they will implement it at some point, which is why I bought Iclone 6 in the first place and am in the process of converting all of my props and models over to it. It will keep me busy while I way for 3d Mouse support to arrive. There are relatively few things I find unlikeable about the software, and I especially like the way they are implementing tools that are geared more towards my animation hobby. But I also keep in mind that if there comes a time when I feel like they're not going to implement 3D Mouse support at all, then I'll have to make a few hard choices whether or not to limp along or cut bait. 
animagic
animagic
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
If this is an important feature request it should be moved to the equivalent iClone 6 thread.

I've never worked with a 3D mouse, but I'm not against supporting it. I usually navigate by selecting something in the scene manager and then selecting "Home". If needed I add some dummy objects at strategic locations.

And, as Viking points out, using Shift with the arrow keys speeds up navigation.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

bluemidget666
bluemidget666
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
Good luck with the request but even Zbrush has no support for one.
i have one and 99% of the time it sits glowing blue on my desktop, a very expensive paperweight.

I Make My Mates Do The CanCan For The Amusement Of Killer RobotsBigGrin
brand468
brand468
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)

I also have a SpaceNavigator for several years and I can not imagine working without it in Poser, and other 3D programs. Support for SpaceNavigator is proposed several times before, but has yet not been supported.

My computer: Intel i7-7700K 4.2Hhz 64Gb, Windows 10, GeForce GTX 1080 + GeForce GTX 1070, Phillips monitor 40" 4K  3840x2160 + 2x28" 

Firepro
Firepro
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Bummer....I recently bought into the iClone family of software and now see no Space Navigator support.  Too bad as I too find it useful for 3D work such as what iClone does.  Heck, if it would help, I'd pay $10 for a plug-in.  Providing support for 3D input devices should be considered important, similar to MOCAP, both are tools to make our lives easier.

Hoping support will be coming soon!
AverageJoe
AverageJoe
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Even though this application has a 3D space in it, and we can navigate via that 3D space, let's remember, this is not a 3D application.  It is a movie making application that has a viewport into 3D, with very basic and rudimentary 3D capabilities.  To start bloating it with every little widget and capability of a real 3D application is a waste of development resources, especially when there are so many potential areas for fixing and re-vamping the actual application in it's target industry.  Just because a few people want something, that the majority of people would probably never use, doesn't mean the company should jump to please and or placate you.  iClone is not unusable without some sort of fancy 3D navigation device.  Let's work on some of the real problems in iClone instead.
will2power71
will2power71
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
wizaerd (7/28/2015)
 To start bloating it with every little widget and capability of a real 3D application is a waste of development resources,  iClone is not unusable without some sort of fancy 3D navigation device.  Let's work on some of the real problems in iClone instead.

Are you serious? Not 3d? Really...?! 

If you don't want to use a 3D mouse that's fine. But please don't misrepresent Iclone. It is using 3D models. The models are posed in 3D space. Motions within the program are 3D. It supports the importation and conversion of 3D assets and renders them. I call your attention to the landing page from Iclone:

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/90d7e231-2b21-4e44-ac22-8905.jpg 

According to Reallusion, it IS a 3D animation software. You may want to check your information because I think your understanding of what Iclone is and mine differ. Iclone is 3D and like other 3D applications, has certain features which are common like navigating in 3D space. 3D mice have long proven to be more effective and time saving in navigating a 3D environment than a mouse and the keyboard. If this was some obscure piece of equipment, I would tend to agree with you, but it's not. The 3D mouse has been embraced by the likes of:

3D-Coat
3ds Max
3ds Max Design
AC3D
Blender
BodyPaint 3D
Cheetah3D
CINEMA 4D
CityEngine
DAZ Studio
form-Z
Lifecycle VIEW
Maya
Modo
MotionBuilder
Mudbox
Orealia|DESIGNER
Patchwork3D
PnP TerrainCreator CE

Your take on the 3D mouse is misplaced. It is not some obscure piece of equipment that no one ever uses. It's a key piece of equipment to a lot of animators and 3D hobbyists and professionals --it's even supported by Adobe Photoshop. They've been a part of the 3D industry for well over a decade now, and are supported by a broad spectrum of 3D applications who all realize what it adds. Since when is it a waste to implement support for new tools that add to the capability of Iclone? If I were to follow your logic, then why on earth would they develop soft cloth? Not everyone uses it. Why support GPU rendering? Not everyone with Iclone uses that, either. It may be new to you, but to a lot of us it's a valued asset and more than worth considering. 
ledlight
ledlight
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (509 reputation)Veteran Member (509 reputation)Veteran Member (509 reputation)Veteran Member (509 reputation)Veteran Member (509 reputation)Veteran Member (509 reputation)Veteran Member (509 reputation)Veteran Member (509 reputation)Veteran Member (509 reputation)

Yes, iClone is most certainly a 3D application! The clue to this is the world x-y-z axis that greets us on launch!

For anyone who has not used a 3d mouse, it may help to know that your regular mouse is also plugged in and used. Your 3d mouse doesn't replace your regular mouse for things like clicking menus and tools. Typically the 3d mouse sits on the left side next to your keyboard. You use it with your left hand. It has a small footprint so isn't any trouble.

It takes some getting used to, as you'll be using your keyboard and regular mouse too. So your left hand moves back and forth from the 3d mouse to the keyboard depending on what you're doing and how much you use keyboard shortcuts. You could use your right hand for keyboard shortcuts too I suppose, and keep your left hand on the 3d mouse. This is the biggest barrier for people I think- they can't imagine using 3 input devices. It does feel strange at first. But the 3d mouse has one job to do: move around 3d space, and it does this very well.

Reading This Topic