Space Navigator support needed

Posted By Sombrero76 11 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Rampa
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 hours ago
I do tend to agree with Armstrong though. I'm only trying this because I found a great Logitech joystick at the Goodwill for a few bucks today.Tongue
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Found a newer version of Joystick-To-Mouse. Seems to cost $10.00 though.

http://www.imgpresents.com/joy2mse/j2m.htm
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Stick with the free one. The newer post is a clunkier version!
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
Thanks for all your feedback regarding Space Navigator support. I have passed this to the iClone development team for consideration. If I receive any further news I will let you all know. Smile

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

billsteele7
billsteele7
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Reallusion: If you are to remain highly relevant and highly referred among the pros, PLEASE include the use of the Space Mouse in iClone 5 and iCLone 6 as soon as is practical. You will be glad you did! Exclamation
animagic
animagic
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 7 hours ago
Well, it won't be in iClone 5. Maybe in 6?

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Bellatrix
Bellatrix
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Still no news on this?

>>> Indie Generalist modeler-rigger-animator <<< Hardware: AlienWare i7-HK 32G GTX1080 2T-SSDs BenqSW320 Wacom-Intuous 3Dconnexion ||| Software: IC6 Pipeline - CTA3 Pipeline - ATK2 - Indigo ||| Zbrush4R8. Blender 2.79. DazStudio 4.9. Carrara. Poser. Octane.

will2power71
will2power71
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)

Last Active: 5 days ago
There's no way I'm letting this drop. Space Navigator is a key component of how I work in 3d. Not having it in iClone is such a pain. Moving by mouse is only good for so much and it makes it horrid when you actually have to do anymore than film a static scene. when I can manipulate the camera in 3D with a 3D Mouse, I can move up and down and orbit effortlessly with little thought -much like you do with the conventional mouse. It frees my hand from the keyboard and allows me work more intuitively when it comes to navigating. I wouldn't want to try any sustained project without it.
ledlight
ledlight
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (509 reputation)Veteran Member (509 reputation)Veteran Member (509 reputation)Veteran Member (509 reputation)Veteran Member (509 reputation)Veteran Member (509 reputation)Veteran Member (509 reputation)Veteran Member (509 reputation)Veteran Member (509 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Apparently the unreal engine is suffering the same lack of support for the space navigator. Unreal developer said on the forums over there that integration was not easy, requiring significant changes to the codebase. This contradicts what 3dConnexion say about how easy it is to integrate.
See this from 8 years ago...
http://www.3dconnexion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1360
"We provide a free API on our web site, to make it easy for [Reallusion devs] to incorporate input signals from our devices into their software applications."

But it seems it's just too hard. Which is unfortunate because the 3d mouse does improve ergonomics and 3d navigation efficiency. The option to record the movement of the 3d mouse for camera tracking and flying around would be a huge leap forward in cinematic camera movement ability for iclone.
will2power71
will2power71
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)

Last Active: 5 days ago
Pardon my french, but that's bubkiss. The thing is, people give answers like that when they don't think it's important. You see, the routines in the software for navigating are already pre-existing. It's like being able to use the arrow keys or the tab key instead of your mouse. You don't have to program them from scratch --you just have to create a library that translates the 3D Mouse output to the equivalent motion. I'm oversimplifying, but the way programming works is that you create libraries and modules that access the API of whatever software you are working with, rather than making them code everything from scratch. The more likely issue is that whoever's in charge doesn't place a priority on what you're asking for, and they count on you not knowing programming to accept the pat answer. If Unreal wanted to make it a priority, they'd have it done in a matter of weeks. It's the same thing with Reallusion. As soon as someone in charge decides 3D Mouse support is needed, then they'll do it, which is a shame. If Reallusion had it's own SDK, I might even consider paying someone to develop it. It's that important to my workflow. I have Iclone 6, but I won't use it until it's available. It's too frustrating to navigate the scene using the mouse. I think right now they're probably more focused on Getting 3DXchange up and running fully with the G6 and everything they've planned. 

I'm even considering moving to Modo Indie because the 3D Mouse is there and supported, along with Substance Designer. It's not the ideal solution for a single animator like me, but the alternative is a lot of frustrating nights trying to navigate a complex scene. I put in a test scene of a neighborhood, and when I tried to pan out it took nearly five minutes of mouse scroll wheel to get as far back as I needed. I think they've gathered a lot of great tools, but this is a glaring ommission in my opinion. Cinema 4D, Modo, Maya, 3DS Max, Hell --even DAZ Studio and Poser support it! This should have been a no-brainer...

Reading This Topic