Ground plane

Posted By ollie_the_owl 12 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
ollie_the_owl
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (833 reputation)Veteran Member (833 reputation)Veteran Member (833 reputation)Veteran Member (833 reputation)Veteran Member (833 reputation)Veteran Member (833 reputation)Veteran Member (833 reputation)Veteran Member (833 reputation)Veteran Member (833 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 11 Years Ago
Hi I'm new to Iclone I have just bought the book iClone 4.31 3D Animation Beginner's Guide while doing the first lesson I came across a problem with the ground plane please see picture supplied the top picture is from the book the one next to it is how mine attempt turned out using the settings from the book, as you can see not to good? I've been looking at various adjustments & found if I set the Terrain to "Move X=0 Y=0 Z=-1199 and the water Height to -1199 I get something similar to the lesson in the book see picture centre page! now if I turn the grid on, I would of thought this to be 0 height ground level as it were? you can see Bottom picture?
with the grid switched on I can only see the very top of the hill on the right above the grid, if I enter 0 in the water height this sets the water on the grid level I would then have to take the Terrain level to around -600 to get the same as the book?
can someone please tell me how to correct this?
Many thanks
Pete
Edited
12 Years Ago by Peter-pecker
colour
colour
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Grid = Ground Level. & is always there (Shown or Hidden)

Terrains undulate above & below "Ground Level". Actors automatically follow Terrains. Props can be added to Terrains & put on Paths that follow Terrains.

So for the sake of the Tut's on-going project, the Grid is superfluous. Apart from the fact that double-clicking on a Character Template will automatically place it on the World Axis on the (hidden) Grid.  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REALLUSION FORUM ANNUAL PINHEAD COMMUNITY PROJECTS.

New Pinhead Website & Project to be announced in September 2015

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ollie_the_owl
ollie_the_owl
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (833 reputation)Veteran Member (833 reputation)Veteran Member (833 reputation)Veteran Member (833 reputation)Veteran Member (833 reputation)Veteran Member (833 reputation)Veteran Member (833 reputation)Veteran Member (833 reputation)Veteran Member (833 reputation)

Is there a way to pate text into a reply???

this will not allow me to do it

Edited
12 Years Ago by Peter-pecker
ollie_the_owl
ollie_the_owl
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Thanks for the reply

Yes I understand that the grid is not always needed, I have a problem with understanding why when i follow a basic tutorial i don't get the same outcome? Surly by following the steps in the tutorial you should get the results or what is the point of the tutorial?

If I need to spend time to figure out why I'm not getting the same results as the tutorial what is the point of the book you recommended? I don't believe the book is wrong, so that must be a setting or setup fault?

(Below) the top image is from the book the bottom image is the result of following the instructions, to get the bottom image to look anything like the top one, I have to adjust the Terrain "Move" Z Axis to -600 its default setting is -1000 I think this is where my problem is?

colour
colour
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)

You need to use the Preview Camera Toolbar Zoom Tool, to Zoom-in on the Foreground, to match the Tut Pic.

Here's my hurried Screenshot 1 (Roughly same as your's)

Here's My hurriued Screenshot, after Zooming-in (More-or-less the same as Tut Pic). 

Edited
12 Years Ago by colour
ollie_the_owl
ollie_the_owl
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Thanks for the reply!

I have set up this,to try to explain a bit better?

The first Picture is set  up to look like the picture in the tutorial, note the Move Z axis is set to -600,

I then adjusted the camera view to get this angle as in the tutorial

I then set the Move Z axis to its default of -1000 i did not adjust anything else see how the Terrain has sunk??  

So i need to find out if the Book has made a error or if i have a problem?

Thanks for your patience and understanding

colour
colour
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

The Terrain has "Sunk" because you've moved it down.

If you were to reduce the water height, the Terrain would in effect, rise-up. 

It's academic & IMO, doesn't matter, if your first Pic matches the Tut pic. Which it does.

ollie_the_owl
ollie_the_owl
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Ok sorry for trying to get my point across! and for trying get a answer to a question!

But I still dont know if the settings are wrong on my system or it the first tutorial in the book is wrong & if so what about the other tutorials are they wrong??

can somone please try it & let me know???

if others have the same results as me then obviously the book is wrong! if others get the results the same as tutorial then my setup is wrong!

Thanks

Reading This Topic