Profile Picture

Save and reuse poses for animation

Posted By jillybean19 12 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
jillybean19
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (303 reputation)Senior Member (303 reputation)Senior Member (303 reputation)Senior Member (303 reputation)Senior Member (303 reputation)Senior Member (303 reputation)Senior Member (303 reputation)Senior Member (303 reputation)Senior Member (303 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 12 Years Ago
I'm trying to animate specific poses that I'll be using over and over again (this is for teaching language). I've created my character from a photo and done all the body fitting. From the Youtube tutorials, I figured out how to animate using the Motion Key Editor to create the poses and animate in between them by by moving forward on the timeline with the Motion Key Editor open. Doing this, I have to position the body for each and every pose, even though I want to do the exact same one again. I saved a few of these poses ("Save Pose" in the Motion Key Editor), but if I drag and drop them from the content manager, it doesn't do the in-between animation like it did while I was doing each individual position within the Motion Key Editor. Is there a way I can save these poses so I can just drag and drop them into where I want them on the timeline and it will animate the in-between motions for me? This would help immensely!
jlittle
jlittle
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
A pose is just a character position not an animation. That is why it is not animated.

What you want to do is to collect a clip and export it. Then you can load that clip to the characters action list to use or drop on a character.

Look in the help under "Using Timeline - Using Tracks" in the section "Collecting Expressions or Motion".

Jeff

Get my Plugin Manager and TaskNotes plugins for iClone.
Check out EZColors and Other products for CTA/CA. EZColors: the easy way to change Render Styled (RS) colors!
See my CTA Tutorials on the YouTube channel CTAStepByStep

jillybean19
jillybean19
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (303 reputation)Senior Member (303 reputation)Senior Member (303 reputation)Senior Member (303 reputation)Senior Member (303 reputation)Senior Member (303 reputation)Senior Member (303 reputation)Senior Member (303 reputation)Senior Member (303 reputation)

Sorry in advance for any redundancy, but I want to make sure I'm understanding you clearly.

I'm doing the same positions, but in different sequences. From what you said, it sounds like I'll have to animate each sequence I want to do, rather than having preset positions that it can automatically animate in between.

For example, say I have 5 different positions I need to do in one video. In one sequence, I need to do the poses in this sequence: 1, 2, 5, 3, 5. In another sequence, I need the same poses but in the sequence 5, 4, 2, 3, 1. Since it will require different motions in between poses 5 and 3 compared to 5 and 4, do I have to create separate motions?

If so, I'll be creating sequences of motions in-between poses rather than just the poses themselves. If this is the case, I'll just make the motions for moving from position 1 to position 2, 1 to 3, 1 to 5, etc., capture them, then just string the motions together. That way I can recombine and reuse the motions whenever I want to (we're talking about quite a few times within the same video as well as a number of future videos as we re-use the same language patterns that these motions are for)

However, this does create one more issue. When I need two different motions that end in the same position, is there any way I can ensure they end in the same place or at least smooth out the motion in-between clips? For example, say I need to make two motions, one of which moves from Pose 1 to 2 and a second that moves from Pose 4 to 2. A third motion starts at Pose 2 and moves somewhere else. When I'm dropping these motions into my timeline, how can I be sure that the motion in the first clip ends in the same place as the motion in the second clip (Pose 2) as well as whatever clip I put afterward that starts in Pose 2 will line up? It doesn't need to be perfect, but I'd like to get it as close as possible so that it looks like fluid movements in between each of the poses. The only solution I can come up with for now would be to move the body parts at the end of the clip as close as possible to the pose, then compare and adjust over and over until I get it right (I'm really hoping there's a better way!).

Getting all the poses at the beginning of a clip to start at the same place would be easy - I'd just drop a "pose" on my character and start my motion from there. Ending in the same place is a different story. In short, whenever I need to get to a specific pose, whether at the beginning or end of a clip, I need it to be the same position every time.
jillybean19
jillybean19
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

By the way, I actually watched your tutorials before I bought the program so I could get a clear idea of what Animator could do. They're very informative and helpful!
jillybean19
jillybean19
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Nevermind, I figured this out! Though I can't save a "drag and drop" pose, I can keep track of the exact positions in terms of numbers in the body key editor (under transform). Then, I can just animate by selecting the frame I'd like and then enter the numbers for the position I want. This would ensure that I'm getting the exact positions every time and essentially does what I was initially hoping to do before, just in a round-about way. I'm still struggling with how to animate stuff, but I believe this will work. (I just got the download yesterday and am on a steep learning curve!)
jlittle
jlittle
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)

If the motion is in the same animation and for the same actor you can copy the keys instead of typing in all the positional numbers. Might be a little easier.
Highlight the key (or keys) by dragging or clicking in the track. Ctrl-C Copy, move to new frame Ctrl-V paste.

Glad my tuts were helpful.

Jeff

Check out EZColors and Other products for CTA/CA. EZColors: the easy way to change Render Styled (RS) colors!

rampart
rampart
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
How to save motion from timeline to set avatars to needed positions. The motion can be saved and applied to avatars.

http://www.reallusion.com/iclone/help/iclone5/Pro/default.asp

colour
colour
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Posted in error & Deleted by me.Blush  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REALLUSION FORUM ANNUAL PINHEAD COMMUNITY PROJECTS.

New Pinhead Website & Project to be announced in September 2015

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited
12 Years Ago by colour
jlittle
jlittle
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Uh guys, this is a CTA thread, not iClone.

rampart
rampart
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Sorry...about that.  I just click on recent posts and haven't scrutinized where the posting was made.

Bye.. and good luck

Reading This Topic