Kinect SDK & Driver Options Explained

Posted By Peter (RL) 12 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Peter (RL)
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
Reallusion provides all 3 options for Kinect users;

a. The OpenNI driver and SDK are provided by PrimeSense, the chip manufacturer of Kinect sensors. Due to it’s original SDK license policy, users can feel free to use it in commercial projects.

b. The Microsoft Kinect SDK Beta 2 is provided by Microsoft for application development on Xbox Kinect hardware. Users can get a free SDK download from the Microsoft website. 

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=28782

Before the release of the Kinect for Windows version, Reallusion provided this beta version to share the new improvements made by Microsoft. Due to Microsoft's policy, this version is only for testing and does not grant commercial rights to end users. Please take note that this policy comes directly from Microsoft and not Reallusion, and Reallusion will not be responsible for how the end-user decides to use this development SDK. For more information, please refer to the original statement by Microsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=27876 "overview" section, line 2.

c. Now Microsoft has officially released the new Kinect for Windows SDK and hardware for Windows 7 and above users. This version includes full commercial rights for product development and application outputs, but it will only work with Microsoft's Kinect for Windows hardware. Please take note that this policy comes directly from Microsoft and not Reallusion. Reallusion simply facilitates users with all three options. 

As Reallusion has partnered with Microsoft on Kinect for Windows development, we will keep adding new features based on Microsoft's official releases. Reallusion will continue providing options to users who use either the Kinect for Xbox or Kinect for Windows hardware.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

vidi
vidi
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Week
Microsoft's Kinect for Windows hardware

with the windows kinect device, is there a difference in the quality of capturing ?

-------------------------------------------------------------------
liebe Grüße vidi

isdom24
isdom24
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)

Last Active: 12 Years Ago
I have two kinect for xbox 360 cameras. I also have two power adapters with the usb port. I currently habe one plugged into my macbookpro running on windows 7 (via bootcamp).

Will Microsoft SDK drivers work on my Kinect for xbox camera with the power supply and usb port?

I would like the head and wrist details.

Thanks

isdom24
isdom24
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)

Last Active: 12 Years Ago
Also , can Iclone export .bvh files?

Can I record my mo cap with the kinect for xbox with external power supply in Iclone, Then export that same mo cap data as a .bvh file to blender?

Thank you

thebiz.movies
thebiz.movies
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Due to Microsoft's policy, this version is only for testing and does not grant commercial rights to end users.

Does this mean I could not sell the motions I create using Beta SDK on the marketplace?

Does this mean I could not use the motions I create in a commercial application such as a business training video or a commercial feature?

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c02c75f8-9ae1-4091-b8e9-2175.gifhttps://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/4c56836b-f19d-4836-8a16-6370.gif

Edited
12 Years Ago by thebiz.movies
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)

vidi (2/24/2012)
Microsoft's Kinect for Windows hardware

with the windows kinect device, is there a difference in the quality of capturing ?

I don't think there is any difference right now in actual quality but the Kinect For Windows sensor is the device that Microsoft will be developing the SDK for in the future. This may impact on future features or improvements in capturing.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

isdom24 (3/2/2012)
I have two kinect for xbox 360 cameras. I also have two power adapters with the usb port. I currently habe one plugged into my macbookpro running on windows 7 (via bootcamp).

Will Microsoft SDK drivers work on my Kinect for xbox camera with the power supply and usb port?

I would like the head and wrist details.

Thanks

If you are using Kinect For XBox sensors then you should use the Microsoft Kinect SDK Beta 2 plugin. The newer Microsoft Kinect SDK For Windows is not supported on the Xbox devices.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

thebiz.movies (3/2/2012)
Due to Microsoft's policy, this version is only for testing and does not grant commercial rights to end users.

Does this mean I could not sell the motions I create using Beta SDK on the marketplace?

Does this mean I could not use the motions I create in a commercial application such as a business training video or a commercial feature?

Correct. Mocap motions created using the Beta SDK can not be used commercially in any way. That includes the Marketplace or commercial training videos I'm afraid.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

isdom24 (3/2/2012)
Also , can Iclone export .bvh files?

Can I record my mo cap with the kinect for xbox with external power supply in Iclone, Then export that same mo cap data as a .bvh file to blender?

Thank you

No it can't I'm afraid. However you will be able to export BVH files with the new 3DXchange5 Pipeline Edition which is due out later in the year. Smile

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

bobkat2000
bobkat2000
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
So then, the MS Beta SDK is a waste of time and money if no motions can be used.

Also, there is a huge difference in the quality of the OpenNI version and the MS Beta SDK. OpenNI is barely useable, if at all.

Reading This Topic