iClone 5.1 & Microsoft Kinect SDK Beta2 Feedbacks

Posted By Visconti 13 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
hgagne
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Peter (RL) (2/20/2012)I can confirm that the new Microsoft Kinect SDK Plugin is for Kinect For Windows users only. Those who have the Kinect For Xbox should continue to use the Microsoft Kinect SDK Beta version. You can see the features supported by each version below.

Yep; although that information should have been posted well before the launch of the MOCAP software.  Few points regarding the matrix:

1. The OpenNI columns needs an asterisk besides KINECT For XBOX (*)
  2. The BETA Software is not supported, will eventually expire, and can't be used for commercial purposes
  3. The matrix should have likely been posted well before the launch so as to permit customers to make an informed decision
  4. The Matrix should also indicate "clearly" that customers should not upgrade their version of IC5 past 5.11 as versions 5.12+ only include KINECT for Windows SDK support.

Had I known that KINECT for Windows was going to be released, I would have held off purchasing the units.  Knowing that I cannot legally use it for any "light" commercial purposes places me in position where I must purchase KINECT for Windows units to remain legitimate and compliant to license agreements ... shame on me for not having done my complete due diligence. Sad

Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)
Dual 22" LCD Monitors

iClone 5.5 Pro, 3DXchange 5.5 Pipeline, CrazyTalk & Animator Pro
Autodesk Entertainment Creation Suite 2014
Adobe Production Premium CS6

Edited
12 Years Ago by hgagne
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
hgagne (2/20/2012)
The Matrix should also indicate "clearly" that customers should not upgrade their version of IC5 past 5.11 as versions 5.12+ only include KINECT for Windows SDK support.

I think there has been a misunderstanding.

It doesn't say customers should not upgrade their version of iClone past 5.11.

It states you can't use the latest Microsoft Kinect SDK (with v5.12) unless you have a Kinect For Windows device. You can still have iClone 5.12 installed and use a Kinect For Xbox sensor. In this case you must install the orignal Open NI based SDK or the Micorsoft Kinect SDK Beta. All of which are available from within your account.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

hgagne
hgagne
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)

Peter (RL) (2/21/2012)

I think there has been a misunderstanding.

It doesn't say customers should not upgrade their version of iClone past 5.11.

It states you can't use the latest Microsoft Kinect SDK (with v5.12) unless you have a Kinect For Windows device. You can still have iClone 5.12 installed and use a Kinect For Xbox sensor. In this case you must install the orignal Open NI based SDK or the Micorsoft Kinect SDK Beta. All of which are available from within your account.

Hi Peter,

I'm posting in this thread so as to avoid starting another debate in the new "clarification" thread you created.  There's a few additonal "clarification" points that need to be added in your new thread; these are:

#1 - OpenNI Driver Solution

Q: Will RL continue to support this solution until, at the very least, the next major release of IC5 and/or MOCAP software? 

Q: Will RL look to improve this solution to provide Auto Floor Calibration and Wrist/Head Movement?

#2 - MS SDK BETA 2

Q: Can RL confirm that the SDK BETA2 will not expire at a preset time in the future - i.e. will remain available for download and be installable?  Understanding of course, that this is for research purpose; not to be used for commercial purposes as per MS restrictions.

Q: MS no longer supports the SDK BETA2 as the "Official" SDK has released.  Will RL continue to provide support for SDK BETA2 and based on RL's agreement with MS, is this permitted?

#3 - "Official" MS SDK 1.10

Q: Will RL actively maintain/support updates to the SDK runtimes to ensure that the latest version of the drivers are always available in IC5 and/or MOCAP software?

#4 - IC5 Updates

Q: Will future IC5 updates always provide backwards compatibility/support for OpenNI and SDK BETA 2?

#5 - MOCAP Software Updates

Q: Will future MOCAP Software updates provide backwards compatibility/support for OpenNI and SDK BETA 2?

Dual 22" LCD Monitors

funfunfun
funfunfun
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
There is an X under Commercial Use right for MS Kinect SDK Beta 2. What does that mean?

And in case it gets corrupted, where do we download the SDK Beta 2 again?
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)

Hi hgagne

There's a lot of questions there so I will need to clarify some points first.

I will update again soon. Thanks for your patience.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

funfunfun (2/21/2012)
There is an X under Commercial Use right for MS Kinect SDK Beta 2. What does that mean?

And in case it gets corrupted, where do we download the SDK Beta 2 again?

An "X" means the feature is not available.

You can download the SDK Beta 2 at any time from your Account. Just click Bonus for your version of the Mocap Device Plugin in your Registered Programs list.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

inlimbo
inlimbo
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (155 reputation)Junior Member (155 reputation)Junior Member (155 reputation)Junior Member (155 reputation)Junior Member (155 reputation)Junior Member (155 reputation)Junior Member (155 reputation)Junior Member (155 reputation)Junior Member (155 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Interesting stuff, please update more information.
Edited
12 Years Ago by inlimbo
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

hgagne (2/21/2012)
Hi Peter,

I'm posting in this thread so as to avoid starting another debate in the new "clarification" thread you created.  There's a few additonal "clarification" points that need to be added in your new thread; these are:

#1 - OpenNI Driver Solution

Q: Will RL continue to support this solution until, at the very least, the next major release of IC5 and/or MOCAP software? 

Q: Will RL look to improve this solution to provide Auto Floor Calibration and Wrist/Head Movement?

A: Yes

A: This depends if Primesense update the Open NI SDK to support camera motor and head and wrist movement. If they do iClone will support it.

#2 - MS SDK BETA 2

Q: Can RL confirm that the SDK BETA2 will not expire at a preset time in the future - i.e. will remain available for download and be installable?  Understanding of course, that this is for research purpose; not to be used for commercial purposes as per MS restrictions.

Q: MS no longer supports the SDK BETA2 as the "Official" SDK has released.  Will RL continue to provide support for SDK BETA2 and based on RL's agreement with MS, is this permitted?

A: There are no limitations on this version in iClone. The Beta will expire on 16th June 2016. This is Microsofts Beta policy so Reallusion can't change it. Please reference: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/kinectforwindows/

#3 - "Official" MS SDK 1.10

Q: Will RL actively maintain/support updates to the SDK runtimes to ensure that the latest version of the drivers are always available in IC5 and/or MOCAP software?

#4 - IC5 Updates

Q: Will future IC5 updates always provide backwards compatibility/support for OpenNI and SDK BETA 2?

A: Yes iClone will maintain compatability with all three mocap plugins.

#5 - MOCAP Software Updates

Q: Will future MOCAP Software updates provide backwards compatibility/support for OpenNI and SDK BETA 2?

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

hgagne
hgagne
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Hi Peter,

Firstly; thank you for taking the time to research and post responses to these questions.  May I suggest that you digest the relevant questions/answers into your "Kinect SDK & Driver Options Explained" thread (ex: sdk expiration). 

I see this new thread as being a "first-stop" thread to all that is KINECT.

Cheers,

Dual 22" LCD Monitors

MakeMeZing
MakeMeZing
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)

Last Active: 11 Years Ago
Hi,

I updated to v5.12 and have now been unable to use the mocap to produce movements which involve the avatar moving in two planes (e.g. hopping, turning etc) is it possible to revert back to v5.11 as I was able to capture these movements in that?

Thanks

Reading This Topic