iClone 5 Tutorial - Human IK and Prop Interaction

Posted By KaiD 13 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
KaiD
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Last Year

In this tutorial, you'll learn all about using the special reach function in the motion layer editor panel to attach your character's limbs to props like swords or guns. From there, you'll be able to manipulate the props, with your character's body conforming to the movements by naturally using the Human IK capabilities built in to iClone. You can also use the look at function to aim your gun, or the prop puppet tool to quickly create some sword movement or idle motion. Check it out!

Enjoy!

mark
mark
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 days ago
SWEET!BigGrin Thanks!BigGrin

PROMO-BACK2
Click here to go to my YouTube Channel filled with iClone Tutes and Silly Stuff

Visit ANIMATED PROJECTIONS Powered by iCLONE

Intel Core i7 3960X @ 3300MHz Overclocked to 4999.7 MHz Sandy Bridge 24.0GB DDR3 @ 833MHz Graphic Display HP ZR30w 
GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB  Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1 ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 WS (LGA2011)

sumthinwong
sumthinwong
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Thank you very informative.

All arts is political, otherwise it would just be decoration. And all artists have something to say, otherwise they'd make shoes.

Earl of Oxford

AverageJoe
AverageJoe
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
I too think this is very informative, but something I'd like to see to extend it a bit would be the character walks in from off stage without the sword, picks it up, goes through some of the poses and motions, then puts the sword back down.  These videos thus far are great for pre-arranging things, but how do they work within the flow of a normal animation?
funfunfun
funfunfun
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
I would also like to know could this technique be merged with a pre-recorded sword fighting motion? I mean the animation of a fight is going to be specific to the character in his feet shuffle and torso torque and release, and not the other way around.

In real life the sword has weight and that does affect the character, but primarily the character controls the sword.
KaiD
KaiD
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Last Year
You can do a whole ton of stuff by using dummies and the attach/release function, just be creative with it, there's always workarounds Smile

@funfunfun - Yeah, originally the tutorial was supposed to be with a broom, but I thought it was a bit boring.  As for adding more emphasis to your movements to demonstrate the effect of the sword's weight, it will mostly need to be done with key editing. 

The Mythical Dragon
The Mythical Dragon
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Thanks for posting KaiD. Good tutorial.

Doug

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/802f671e-1d55-4dbc-a395-f18a.gif_https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/7f5306f9-14c6-4916-834c-f953.gif_https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/a3af5e54-2406-46ea-8f58-db07.gif_https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/da100d59-8890-4a1b-be9f-8625.gif_https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/777c3084-929c-48a3-955e-2fc4.gif_https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/7e79a164-2793-4c00-961a-c1f3.gif_https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/e3a85212-4fba-40cc-8c92-c44c.jpg_https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/aaccd877-cd18-4557-ab61-b0e3.gif

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/6d3e7e09-6d95-4bac-81f7-84d0.gif__________https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/9d264a7f-6043-4252-8d4a-f877.png__________https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ef484605-a020-4395-b2f1-778b.png

Dreamcube017
Dreamcube017
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
wizaerd (11/17/2011)
I too think this is very informative, but something I'd like to see to extend it a bit would be the character walks in from off stage without the sword, picks it up, goes through some of the poses and motions, then puts the sword back down. These videos thus far are great for pre-arranging things, but how do they work within the flow of a normal animation?

I think the attach function is animatible, so have the character walk in and then key it to attach to an object and then detach later.

----------------------------------------------------
***BEST OF THE CORE**
:A music reel demonstrating the different types of music I produce for multimedia. Hope everyone enjoys.

Player not working? Use this link.

My other audio work.

Facebook page:

Creation begins at the core.
AverageJoe
AverageJoe
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Dreamcube017 (12/5/2011)
wizaerd (11/17/2011)
I too think this is very informative, but something I'd like to see to extend it a bit would be the character walks in from off stage without the sword, picks it up, goes through some of the poses and motions, then puts the sword back down. These videos thus far are great for pre-arranging things, but how do they work within the flow of a normal animation?

I think the attach function is animatible, so have the character walk in and then key it to attach to an object and then detach later.

Agreed, that's the way of it, but it'd be helpful to see a practical application at work.

Thus far, most tutorials are great if that is all you're going to be doing in your videos, that one specific thing the tutorial is hilighting.  Most tutorials are great at showing how to set up certain advanced stuff, but doesn't really show it it action.  As I said, a practical example. In order to get the most from iClone, it's good to learn how to use all of the stuff together to make a movie. 

My guess for the above scenario would be  areach target first to show the character reaching for the sword, then attaching to pick it up (and hopefully the rotation and placement of said dummy is appropriate), swing the sword back and forth a few times, then put the sword down. 

It's just not as simple as "attach prop", there's a whole slew of "animation" that would need to occur to make it fluid and smooth.

Paumanok West
Paumanok West
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)

Last Active: 10 Years Ago
wizaerd (12/5/2011)show the character reaching for the sword, then attaching to pick it up (and hopefully the rotation and placement of said dummy is appropriate), swing the sword back and forth a few times, then put the sword down.

It's just not as simple as "attach prop", there's a whole slew of "animation" that would need to occur to make it fluid and smooth.

Maybe. Maybe not. The big question is: who are you really trying to "sell" on the proposition that this is a real person picking up and using a real sword? The audience--or yourself????

Maybe the audience doesn't give a tinker's damn whether or not you can get a weapon smoothly into and out of a character's hand--as long as the story goes forward. If there's something especially revealing or dramatic about this one act, that's one thing, but it's also quite possible that if you captured the same live scene on film, a pro film editor would use a jump cut and leave it on the cutting room floor.

Now it may well be that I am taking your example too seriously, when all you are trying to do is define a desirable functionality for iClone. If so, no harm done. You can get back to your regularly-scheduled discussion. The idea that the best animation of all is the animation that the audience only thought they saw is so important that I'm going to just keep chanting it--forever. Hehe

General Picture - animating now to life itself(tm)
Member of Content Wizards
Edited
13 Years Ago by Paumanok West

Reading This Topic