G5 vs G6

Posted By sterlingy 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
sterlingy
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I'm sorry for posting such a newbie question. At this point, I should know the answer, but I've simply been consuming too much info about iClone lately.

Aside from the obvious higher quality mesh for G6 characters, is there any technical difference between G5 and G6 characters? Are there any compatibility issues to consider? Clothing issues?

~Sterling

Stick with the flock, end up a lamb chop!

--------------------- GEAR --------------------
MSI G60 Ghost
AMD 2700X 8 Core @ 4.3GHz Asus Astrix RTX 2080Ti 32GB Ram Samsung 21:9 3440x1440 Monitor
Perception Neuron Mocap (2)

Reallusion Pipeline Suite 3D Studio Max Modo 901 Unreal Engine 4 Zbrush Allegorithmic Substance LIVE Adobe CC

vidi
This post has been flagged as an answer
vidi
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Hi Sterling 
Seems you don't know yet
is there any technical difference between G5 and G6 characters? 

Yes for customized G6 Character will get soon a Creator Tool.Smile

https://forum.reallusion.com/250018/G6-Character-Creator-is-almost-here-

-------------------------------------------------------------------
liebe Grüße vidi

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
The G5 meshes consisted of 5 main body parts (upper, lower, head, hands, feet). The clothing, whether or a separate layer, was integrated with these 5 parts.

The G6 avatars are a single part for the entire body (Think DAZ), and the clothing is not part of it, also like DAZ.

There is zero compatability between the two.
primaveranz
primaveranz
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
BTW that should be "Stick with the FLOCK end up a lamb chop" Wink

sterlingy
sterlingy
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)

vidi (9/1/2015)
Yes for customized G6 Character will get soon a Creator Tool.Smile

Vidi,

I've been eyeballing this lately, and I'm drooling. Was hoping to dig in tonight, but I can wait a few more days.

-Sterling

MSI G60 Ghost
AMD 2700X 8 Core @ 4.3GHz Asus Astrix RTX 2080Ti 32GB Ram Samsung 21:9 3440x1440 Monitor

Reallusion Pipeline Suite 3D Studio Max Modo 901 Unreal Engine 4 Zbrush Allegorithmic Substance LIVE Adobe CC

sterlingy
sterlingy
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

primaveranz (9/1/2015)
BTW that should be "Stick with the FLOCK end up a lamb chop" Wink

When you're right, you're right!

~S

MSI G60 Ghost

sterlingy
sterlingy
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

rampa (9/1/2015)
The G5 meshes consisted of 5 main body parts (upper, lower, head, hands, feet). The clothing, whether or a separate layer, was integrated with these 5 parts.

The G6 avatars are a single part for the entire body (Think DAZ), and the clothing is not part of it, also like DAZ.

There is zero compatability between the two.

Groovy (not), so how do I know if something on the market place or Daz is compatible with G6? I assume a motion files work with both G6 and G5, right?

MSI G60 Ghost

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Stirlingy,
G6 is a unique format, topology, etc. It is not DAZ. I mentioned that because the body is one piece like DAZ bodies. AFAIK it is a single mesh that is morphed into all the different characters, male and female. Remember, we're film-makers, optimization isn't terribly important.

Any iMotion works just fine. VNS motions can be renamed "iMotion", I believe. I would strongly suggest you not buy any avatars from the marketplace right now, unless they are extremely specific for a project you are working on. The CC will not be able to modify them. It's a one way trip. Once exported to iClone, they cannot go back to CC. They should go to 3DX just fine, though. DAZ has it's own pathway through 3DX into iClone, and is not compatible. You cannot just add DAZ clothing to G6.

Sw00000p,
Sorry they are clothed, I have no nudes. You can probably make something of this image though. The back-faces are always culled in iClone wireframe.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/b7c1a435-4c2a-4cac-b32f-f402.jpg
sterlingy
sterlingy
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

rampa (9/1/2015)
I would strongly suggest you not buy any avatars from the marketplace right now, unless they are extremely specific for a project you are working on. The CC will not be able to modify them. It's a one way trip.

Rampa,

Thanks for that information. On the one hand, perhaps it will save me some moola. On the other, I'm concerned about how much cc will be able to customize its characters. For normal looking humans, it looks amazing. I'm interested in more cartoony looking characters, but not as extreme as the avatars in Toon Maker 1 & 2.

Even if CC is capable of this, what about the clothes?! I could make my own, providing they proved the required assets. I'm not sure how all that works for iClone. I have a long history with 3DS Max, so if it is part of the pipeline, I can do it. Marvelous Designer also looks interesting, though I've never used it, and I'm not sure its assets can be brought into iClone. I suppose 3DS Max could be used as an intermediary.

The bottom line is that I would like to do less work, not more, so it seems that for the foreseeable future, G6/CC might keep me up later into the night.

-Sterling

MSI G60 Ghost

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Yeah. If they match your needs, then tery're fine. If you have Max, you can certainly make your own avatars. I've done a few conversions of avatars I made with Makehuman and the Autodesk Character Generator. Any FBX biped can be characterized (re-targeted) in 3DXchange Pro or Pipeline. Fuse characters are fine as well. All of these (except for DAZzies with the duf file) must have the visemes and expressions mapped manually.

Several Marketplace developers use Marvelous designer to make clothing that they then rig and weight with their avatars in Max or Blender, or whatever.

So, there is tons of flexibility for getting avatars into iClone.

Reading This Topic