blender - 3dxchange problem

Posted By hcameron90 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
urbanlamb
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
vidi (4/22/2015)
I think you modeled this with ngons
ngons are faces with more than 4 vertices.
ngons are bad, because if you export your model to iClone, it tringulate your mesh. 3D xchange or another Apps trangulate every ngons randomnicly, therfore are the results unexpectedly..

The solution would be, try moddling in quads and before export trangulate your modell already in blender.
Also check the smoothing parameter (shortcut "O" in 3dXchange), for hard (edges) surfaces you don't set too high.

yeah the bottom was an ngon with the face flipped away from him so in textured mode it looked like there was nothing there. Then it got exported into the exchange and it triangulated the ngon and well did that.

In order to make an empty hole he needed to delete the ngon. IN blender there is a feature to create a cylindar you can leave the ngon in or ask it to put in triangles in or tell it to leave the ends of the cylindar empty. In this case he chose the option to leave the Ngon in place.

He is also viewing it in textured mode and has single sided turned on inside blender so basically he thinks the ngon is not there, but it is there he just can't see it because he is looking through the back face which is insivible to him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own, and you know what you know. And you are the guy who'll decide where to go."
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Dr. Seuss

Edited
9 Years Ago by urbanlamb
urbanlamb
urbanlamb
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)

Yeah i am not gonna critique his modelling skill so i made a simple suggestion Smile

if you know anything about blender you can see in his mesh heirrarchy he has made the model using primitives and did not join them so this is why he is having this issue.

It was not a continuous mesh so taking into account swoop that he is a new modeller and probably doesn't know what a normal or Ngon is even at this point I figure deleting them will give him his result without him starting the item from scratch Smile (without using primitives to build it)

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own, and you know what you know. And you are the guy who'll decide where to go."
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Dr. Seuss

urbanlamb
urbanlamb
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

sw00000p (4/22/2015)

If you think hcameron90 is very new to modeling, then the advice is to:
1. Model using quad.... as Ms. Vidi suggested.

~ He's been told what an ngon is. ~
• Cut the Ngon... move the verts to form a quad!

MOST IMPORTANLY: "Do NOT Leave OPEN EDGES!"

This is teaching someone to model correctly.Smile

This is a pretty trollish response and I probably should not honour it with even a reply but I guess I am in the mood to say something.

and that something is..... I tried to help and I apologize if my help was not acceptable to you and will not bother myself with helping in the future ' cause its not really worth my time as people attempt to create side battles in threads which are actually pretty non constructive and dont help anyone and certainly not the OP.

Dr. Seuss

Edited
9 Years Ago by urbanlamb
hcameron90
hcameron90
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
For what its worth I except any and every critical critique about modeling for the first time using Blender.

With that thanks for all the tips I gladly appreciate it!

Now about the building, yes this is my first model and I chose a very difficult building to model. And since I didn't have a good 360 view of it, I had to look at tons of YouTube videos of game play footage just to get a good look at the sides and back. And I tried looking for it on google 3D sketch Up, but they didn't have a realistic building that I want to use in my new project.

If your a fan of Marvel you probably knew what it is but if not....

My first blender model, none other than the Stark Tower.

STILL IN PROGRESS!!!!!
peppie
peppie
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
If the tower in real then maybe google earth street will be of some help.
hcameron90
hcameron90
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Trust me...I already tried it.

It shows the Met life building instead.

Reading This Topic