blender - 3dxchange problem

Posted By hcameron90 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
hcameron90
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
I am building a city building with open arc walkways.

When building it in blender I put a gap between the glass and arc walkway. However when I export it to 3dxchange the gap has an extra mesh in it.

Even when I go to the materials tap and check the 2-sided box (some areas that weren't visible show up after I check it) the extra mesh is still there.

Is there a way to delete/hide the this?

check the picture in the link.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic" border="0">

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
I see other problems, too.

Check out the "diagonal" split in the doorway.  (Gray area, at the top of the stairs.)

I'm curious, was this modeled entirely in Blender, from scratch?  Or was is started somewhere else, such as Google Sketchup, imported into Blender, modified, and then moved into 3DXchange?  I ask because I've had good luck with Blender models, but I have a very low opinion of the quality of the underlying geometry of a lot of Sketchup models.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Edited
9 Years Ago by justaviking
hcameron90
hcameron90
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
nope I did it all in blender
urbanlamb
urbanlamb
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
This looks like you have mesh and you dont realize it inside blender. Mesh is single sided in other words the face that is visible has only one side if you look through the back of a face it will look well likes its not there. If you say faces are showing up after you check in double sided that means you are actually looking at the back face which is see through and the front face is facing away from you. When you check double sided it makes the back of a face well it gives it a face LOL.

so go into blender and make sure you only have faces facing in one direction and this will ensure that you can see if you dont have faces where you dont want them.

It also looks in that second post photo at the bottom that you have layers of faces which gives that visual problem you see. It also shows that the face is triangulated but one side of the triangulated face is flipped away from you hence it looks like its not there and the other face is flipped towards you plus judging as I said before from the visual clipping you have actually stacked 2 faces on top of each other and both are triangulated as well I bet.

so basically what i am saying is that even if there looks to be a gap in blender you probably have a face in there you just cant see it because you are looking through the back end .. and when you turn on double sided then you can see it.. so you need to delete it Hehe

/end ramble

(that explanation sucks but.. that is how I explain things to myself ^^)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own, and you know what you know. And you are the guy who'll decide where to go."
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Dr. Seuss

Edited
9 Years Ago by urbanlamb
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Oh well, it was worth asking.

That's all I have... other than suggesting if the file's not too large, maybe you could upload a copy (in a ZIP file) so people can take a look at it.  Maybe starting with the Blender file.

ADDED... Oh, looks like I started my response just as urbanlamb posted.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Edited
urbanlamb
urbanlamb
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Its late here I hope that makes sense .. I am typing and thinking way fast and I am tired ... Hehe

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own, and you know what you know. And you are the guy who'll decide where to go."
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Dr. Seuss

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

FYI... Duplicate post in the "iClone - General" section.

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic234182-385-1.aspx

<<< edited to fix the link >>>

Edited
animagic
animagic
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
justaviking (4/22/2015)

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic234163-13-1.aspx

I think you mean this one: https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic234182-385-1.aspx. I got in a loop...Crazy

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

vidi
vidi
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I think you modeled this with ngons
ngons are faces with more than 4 vertices.
ngons are bad, because if you export your model to iClone, it tringulate your mesh. 3D xchange or another Apps trangulate every ngons randomnicly, therfore are the results unexpectedly..

The solution would be, try moddling in quads and before export trangulate your modell already in blender.
Also check the smoothing parameter (shortcut "O" in 3dXchange), for hard (edges) surfaces you don't set too high.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
liebe Grüße vidi

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

animagic (4/22/2015)
justaviking (4/22/2015)

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic234163-13-1.aspx

I think you mean this one: https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic234182-385-1.aspx. I got in a loop...Crazy

I thought I felt a disturbance in the force.  Sorry about the infinite loop, the Mobius strip, the wormhole, altering the future, and any other ramifications.  Blush

Reading This Topic