Game Design Theory, WTF?!

Posted By planetstardragon 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
planetstardragon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
game design theory, where's the fun ?!!

I'm sitting here with a brush in my hand clueless....I mean, I know what it would be like to plop props everywhere and run around like an idiot with a bunch of kitten headed zombies trying to kill me ...that's where I live now! That's not a fantasy game!

i draw mountains, jump in game, and the layout is just boring to me ....and I'm like Wheres The Fun in making games ?! I know the fun in playing them! ^.^

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

yeah, but something about game design made you want to endure that torture. I found my reasons in music, why do you think I give you funny looks when you want me to master something to go into that industrial torture chamber ? lol - i like playing games ...i dont want to kill that lol!!!

but seriously, what should i be thinking when designing a ridiculously simple, but fun game.

are there any design concepts that take my grand image of being in this hellish environment surrounded by monsters that want to kill me and all i have is a toothpick. I can see it, but my fingers are saying ..."wouldn't you rather make music dude ? we'll play a dungeon later tonight in game k ? "

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

i'd fare much better making a pvp game ....but i'm starting single player - i'm a casual single player ...but more hardcore pvp'r ...completely different layouts. pvp is more strategic / simple....rpg is more eye candy.

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

actually, there is an instant game button! w00t I just want to make something artsy with the FPS mode.

I just have no idea where to start with level design. I wish you had more experience in this though, your responses would be less preposterous if you did! You are the techie coder, which is important if I wanted to have the game do unique things.

That's not what i'm looking for though, I'm looking to understand what makes an interesting level to walk through......forget the fancy actions and this does that when i touch that and smell that script .....just level design..... the art stuff that makes the game beautiful to explore

How does one approach making that in a way that's worth coding ( much later in life )

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

i'm set with props...uv's, polycounts are irrelevant in this case

I have more props than you can wiggle a mouse at.

Next step ....designing your level and putting stuff down in an appealing manner...

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

i already have models...

next point - how do you lay them out in a cohesive manner to make an interesting level.

I know there must be some logic to that artistic workflow. maybe that isn't your department.

but nonetheless, I enjoy your company ...so keep trying! ♥

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Great news, I found a video from someone that actually knows what they are talking about and doesn't waste their life away blathering nonsense, yay!! w00t

this might be helpful to you too and for that matter making sets for iclone!

-passes swoop the popcorn-

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

that's the point, i had no story. What i have is a song that will work great for a zombie game in a gothic / skeery environment! w00t

this could even be a cut scene in the game.

Edited
9 Years Ago by planetstardragon
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

well swoop, ever stop to think, that's why I started this thread ? because I'm trying to learn ?

must you always be a kitten when someone is asking for help ? don't you think that's a little abusive on your side ?

how many people would drop out of school if the first thing the teacher did is treat them with contempt like you do with your every post ?

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

but i'm not trying to make a big huge game that people get bored of in a month.

I want a small simple enjoyable game with replayability. Smile

I've seen all the costly mistakes your bosses have made, I'm not trying to go there ...
a deck of cards are more lasting than the games you've worked on.

So spare me the high and mighty - "There is much more to failing on an epic level than appears to be, son" routine.

I don't think you are an artist, so I'd appreciate if you stop trying to set your ideals up as my goals.

You didn't know how to explain level design like the video, you don't have much to say other than expressing your insecurities in not so many words.

Reading This Topic