Profile Picture

Can I sell game made with default avatars?

Posted By arcull 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
arcull
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (215 reputation)Junior Member (215 reputation)Junior Member (215 reputation)Junior Member (215 reputation)Junior Member (215 reputation)Junior Member (215 reputation)Junior Member (215 reputation)Junior Member (215 reputation)Junior Member (215 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Hi everyone. I'm a newbie and am currently testing the demo version of IClone. I plan to make a simple game and would like to do it this way: use a built-in character from the "avatar toolkit" modify it a bit (inside or outside IClone), add the necessary animation to it and export this character to Unity where I would add the necessary game logic to create a commercial game. The main question here is: is this allowed? Am I breaking some rule maybe? If this is allowed, are there any additional fees or royalties requested? I know I have to purchase the IClone WinkThanks for your help.

PS: I don't want to sell the modified built in character, I want to sell my game which uses this character.
Edited
9 Years Ago by arcull
vidi
vidi
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
If the Content have a Export licence Button, you can buy a Export licence and export it to Unity .

Also you need the iClone 5 Pipeline !!!
Beware iclone 6 will still not work
scroll down to
iClone Animation Pipeline

Only this package can export for Unity

http://www.reallusion.com/store/purchase_3dx.aspx

-------------------------------------------------------------------
liebe Grüße vidi

arcull
arcull
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (215 reputation)Junior Member (215 reputation)Junior Member (215 reputation)Junior Member (215 reputation)Junior Member (215 reputation)Junior Member (215 reputation)Junior Member (215 reputation)Junior Member (215 reputation)Junior Member (215 reputation)

Thanks Vidi. I forgot to say that I do use the demo version of "IClone Animation Pipeline" already, so I was able to do some test exports to Unity already. But I don't get what do you mean by "Export licence Button". Does that mean, that some characters may be marked as "exportable" and some not? If so, how much does that export license cost? Is that license valid for single character, how does this export license model work? Thanks again.
vidi
vidi
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
But I don't get what do you mean by "Export licence Button". Does that mean, that some characters may be marked as "exportable" and some not?

You are right ! If Export ready, You will find a export button, or option on the product description.

Here are some more informations

http://www.reallusion.com/ContentStore/Royalty_Free/

http://www.reallusion.com/ContentStore/promo/2012CorporateArchive/schedule.aspx

Although you can read
all of Reallusion content is now available!
but it is not more true
RL had remove the export button for some content, without a information to the Users Why?
RL business is very strange sometimes. Hehe

-------------------------------------------------------------------
liebe Grüße vidi

arcull
arcull
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Thanks Vidi. I've checked the available docs, but I'm a bit confused, I don't think I get this ;( Ok, from what I read, I see that most of content is export ready (meaning no additional costs for exporting), however you have to buy iContent (iAvatar, iMotion, iProp)Unsure By default with iClone you already get some iContent and you can export that, right? If you need some new content like avatars in my case, I buy "avatar toolkit" I gues from content store, and I should be able to export most of those avatars for no additional cost? Is my thinking correct, or am I completely wrong here?

Besides, I tried to use some predefined motions to move my character and to be able to do that (in my demo version) I had to download/install the "Trial resource" package. Does that mean that this package is not included in the default iClone commercial version? Please someone shed some more light here, remember I'm a newbie, thanks.
Cricky
Cricky
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Skype ID= learn.iclone

Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
This should tell you what you need to know.

http://www.reallusion.com/ContentStore/Royalty_Free/

You will find that you have to buy an export license for most of the Avatar Toolkit Content, so you'd be wise to research this with Reallusion Staff.

SKYPE ID: rc.650

http://city.reallusion.com/store/ModuleExpand.aspx?id=GS634545170497417354&mdid=18866

http://city.reallusion.com/ContentTag.aspx?tagname=Cricky&AuthorID=20081020688550191201#]Reallusion Store Content

" If I had Alzheimer's (Old Timers), would I know it? "
rampart
rampart
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
It is your call of course, but after awhile you will begin to notice the lazy animator productions on TV. I saw a movie a while back, and it was loaded with easily recognizable content items. It was John Travolta movie as well. You would think with the kind of budget the producer had they would have more original work in the film.

Often, I hear royalty free music in Commercials, and see props from Renderosity or DazStudio that are straight from the files. (no changes)

Is this as a problem? I think yes, there are people "who know" and word gets around.

IMO, you should contact a competent developer to make basic visual changes in characters. Faces and minor physical attributes are all that is required. I don't think there is a lot of license problems, if you do some reconstruction of character polys, and change faces.

Also, if your work becomes prominent you really don't want to be using the off the shelf characters and props.

Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 22 minutes ago
arcull (4/6/2015)
Thanks Vidi. I've checked the available docs, but I'm a bit confused, I don't think I get this ;( Ok, from what I read, I see that most of content is export ready (meaning no additional costs for exporting), however you have to buy iContent (iAvatar, iMotion, iProp)Unsure By default with iClone you already get some iContent and you can export that, right? If you need some new content like avatars in my case, I buy "avatar toolkit" I gues from content store, and I should be able to export most of those avatars for no additional cost? Is my thinking correct, or am I completely wrong here?

Besides, I tried to use some predefined motions to move my character and to be able to do that (in my demo version) I had to download/install the "Trial resource" package. Does that mean that this package is not included in the default iClone commercial version? Please someone shed some more light here, remember I'm a newbie, thanks.

Hi..

You do not need an export license for any of the embedded content that comes with iClone or the iClone Resource Pack. However all content from the Content Store or Marketplace will requires an export license if you plan to export it from 3DXchange 5 Pipeline to Unity. Just check each product page for the export license price.

In addition you will need to get a free Mass Distribution license if you plan to get create a game using iClone content. To get the free mass distribution rights for using Reallusion content, developers and vendors must first register their game or application information with Reallusion (please contact marketing@reallusion.com), in order to receive the license agreement letter.

I hope this helps. Smile

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

arcull
arcull
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

You will find that you have to buy an export license for most of the Avatar Toolkit Content, so you'd be wise to research this with Reallusion Staff.
Thanks, but how much does this export license cost, I mean for an average character? Are we talking about 5,50 or 500$ On their site I see just some points, which I don't know how to convert to $. By the way reallusion stuff isn't very responsive, it's like sending emails to a black hole.
arcull
arcull
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

It is your call of course, but after awhile you will begin to notice the lazy animator productions on TV. I saw a movie a while back, and it was loaded with easily recognizable content items. It was John Travolta movie as well. You would think with the kind of budget the producer had they would have more original work in the film.

Often, I hear royalty free music in Commercials, and see props from Renderosity or DazStudio that are straight from the files. (no changes)

Is this as a problem? I think yes, there are people "who know" and word gets around.

IMO, you should contact a competent developer to make basic visual changes in characters. Faces and minor physical attributes are all that is required. I don't think there is a lot of license problems, if you do some reconstruction of character polys, and change faces.

Also, if your work becomes prominent you really don't want to be using the off the shelf characters and props.
Thanks, but as I stated, I'm no professional in these waters and don't tend to do professional game. Honestly, I don't care if my game looks cheap because I used (paid for export) a prebuild character. Dude, I'm not making "Call of Duty" and if I would, I probably wouldn't be searching for making animations in iClone. I'm doing a simple cheap game, I know how to program, but am no designer/animator. That's why I'm searching for simple solutions, which would compensate the part I don't know how to do, does that make sense now? All I want now is, make sure I don't break some rules of reallusion.
Edited
9 Years Ago by arcull

Reading This Topic