Profile Picture

Confused about what I need to buy. Lil Help Required!

Posted By poss.mcleod 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
momillis
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Just so you know...

Photoshop, or a similar draw/paint program, is pretty much a necessity when it comes to altering or creating your own stuff. You can launch Photoshop from right inside iClone with the content ready to customize.

Like creating outfits, as opposed to purchasing... iClone comes with Clone Cloth characters--basically characters with a clothing template. With Photoshop you can create your own G3 clothing.

There's a lot of other things like this also. If it were me, and has been, I would get iClone 6 first and see what it has to work with before buying a lot of clothing, motions and wot not.

- Mo' Millis  
Official Mo' Millis | Music & Animation

American rock musician and award winning songwriter.
3D photorealistic album art, posters, and tee shirt prints 
for independent artists.
Founder and composer of Scene Music. Certified animation content DEVeloper.

poss.mcleod
poss.mcleod
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
momillis (3/23/2015)
Just so you know...

Photoshop, or a similar draw/paint program, is pretty much a necessity when it comes to altering or creating your own stuff. You can launch Photoshop from right inside iClone with the content ready to customize.

Like creating outfits, as opposed to purchasing... iClone comes with Clone Cloth characters--basically characters with a clothing template. With Photoshop you can create your own G3 clothing.

There's a lot of other things like this also. If it were me, and has been, I would get iClone 6 first and see what it has to work with before buying a lot of clothing, motions and wot not.

Yup yup, have photoshop. Had a bit of a play around with customising clothing and skin colours/textures in photoshop this morning. Lots of fun but defs not a pro job haha. Big cred to those that do it well, skillz req'd for sure. Haven't tried to play around with shoes yet tho, just shirts/pants/skin. I get the feeling it'd require an external modelling program to alter anything but colours/textures on those tho.

Also managed to export video with transparent (and corresponding alpha mask) for use in After Effects/Flash, thought that would be harder to do. Starting to get a bit excited!
Edited
9 Years Ago by poss.mcleod
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
poss.mcleod (3/24/2015)
[quote] I get the feeling it'd require an external modelling program to alter anything but colours/textures on those tho.

here's a free one that works well with iclone.
http://pixologic.com/sculptris/

but you would have to either get iclone 5, or wait for 3DX6 to do any significant changes to the base meshes.

3DX5 imports and exports to and from iclone 5, but it only imports to iclone 6, so you wouldn't be able to do any modding in iclone 6until they release the 3DX6 software.

I hope that wasn't too confusing lol

Edited
9 Years Ago by planetstardragon
momillis
momillis
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)

poss.mcleod (3/24/2015)
[quote]Haven't tried to play around with shoes yet tho, just shirts/pants/skin. I get the feeling it'd require an external modelling program to alter anything but colours/textures on those tho.
Also managed to export video with transparent (and corresponding alpha mask) for use in After Effects/Flash, thought that would be harder to do. Starting to get a bit excited!

I messed around with some shoes recently. I was trying to make snake skins but when I dropped the texture on the shoe laces disappeared. I didn't try any further yet but I'm pretty sure you can open the shoes in Photoshop and get most anything done. You really only need an external modelling program if you're gonna create something with structure--like 3D high heels or platform heels. But you probably know this already

Yeah, I have Adobe's Creative Cloud with ALL those apps and I love it.BigGrin I really only use Photoshop, After Effects and Premiere Pro, and maybe a little Flash (for 2D DEV) and Illustrator. I also have Serif DrawPlus x6, which is like Photoshop, Illustrator and Flash combined, that I use for creating from scratch.

I haven't tried After Effects with iClone yet. I'm still a novice at Ae, but I have plans for it. You can put animated characters and props in film footage, and visa versa--not to mention FX and particle effects.... I know what you mean about getting excited. Tongue

- Mo' Millis  

for independent artists.

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

GIMP is a reasonable *free* substitute for Photoshop for iClone users.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

poss.mcleod
poss.mcleod
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)

@Planet, yeah I read something about 3DX6 and iClone 5/6 and the wait, but it was dated November or December last year so wasn't sure if that was sorted out yet or not. I've got iClone 6 so that puts me in that basket unfortunately lol.

@Momillis, I had a quick play with shoes in photoshop the day before yesterday, and while the laces stayed, the colours were a little patchy. Not bad for a first try tho so I was happy with the possibilities. I'm pretty sure I'll need to make structural changes to the shoes, as the ones on my toon were rounded, and I really want that square look that Vans have. Not a huge priority at the mo tho, so I'll see what happens. Thanks for the link to the sculpting too by the way Planet, I'll have a look at that when I get a chance. And yeah, lots of nice software in CC. I already owned Illustrator (which I use for posters), Photoshop and Lightroom, but I dabble occasionally in some of the others, so the monthly fee is a pretty good deal.

One question I haven't heard (or found) an answer to is the cartoon 3 finger (and 1 thumb) hand. I've tried everything I can think of within iClone, and can't find an option (with any of the addons I have (Toonmaker 1 and 2, avatar toolkit 2 etc), so assume this will be an external job too?

Edited
9 Years Ago by poss.mcleod
poss.mcleod
poss.mcleod
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

ps I wonder if the iClone 6 user license entitles me to get a hold of iClone 5? Might be an option to craft some stuff rather than waiting?
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

unfortunately no, but you can still get iclone 5 here -

I'm starting to think that a formal notice should be made about this....even as a vet user, not having 3Dx5 compatible with iclone 6 is a burden,... fortunately I do have 5...but i really wish they'd just limit those blocks to the new G6 characters and not props I make, or characters and assets that were already compatible in iclone 5.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AEDXMGC/ref=twister_B00741XJG0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited
9 Years Ago by planetstardragon
poss.mcleod
poss.mcleod
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Yeah I've already forked out enuff money this week lol I ain't buying 5 when I have 6. Guess I'll just have to wait.

I saw a vid on using mudbox to edit the mesh of an iClone toon too, which looked pretty cool. For simple stuff at least.
momillis
momillis
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

poss.mcleod (3/24/2015)

One question I haven't heard (or found) an answer to is the cartoon 3 finger (and 1 thumb) hand. I've tried everything I can think of within iClone, and can't find an option (with any of the addons I have (Toonmaker 1 and 2, avatar toolkit 2 etc), so assume this will be an external job too?

I think there may be a 3 finger toon hand in Gloves. Content: Actor > Parts > Gloves.

There's a possibility I may have brought that over from iClone 5. I'm not sure. Unsure

- Mo' Millis  

for independent artists.

Reading This Topic