Profile Picture

Confused about what I need to buy. Lil Help Required!

Posted By poss.mcleod 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
poss.mcleod
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Hey guys! Hope I've come to the right place, but need a lil help.

I recently signed up for the demo version of iClone 6 and have been enjoying having a play around with it. I intend on upgrading to the Pro Version, but am pretty sure I'll need some extra software/plugins to achieve my goals, but I'm getting a little bit confused about what I'll need, as there seems to be a lot of pre-reqs and/or overlaps.

My Goal: To turn my 2D Business Mascot (which is a monkey with human features or vice versa) into a 3D iClone toon. Big Ears, no nose, no tail, 3 fingered human hand (with thumb of course), Brown body skin with lighter coloured face/hands etc, & shoes on his feet.

I've searched for hours and looked at numerous videos but am still unsure what I'll need. Some of the possibilities (and multiple extras) I've come across are:

- Avatar Toolkit 2 (I assume this one is a given)
- Toon Maker 1
- Toon Maker 2 (assuming from what I've read that you need both)
- Monster Workshop (not sure I'll need this but thought I might need it for the hands and ears? Am unsure if the Avatar Toolkit bodies will be sufficient)
- Mr Pose and Friends (or alternative). Not sure I'll need this, but from what I've been led to believe I might not be able to get the level of customisation I'll need from just the Toon Maker series?

I'd also like to be able to:
- create similar cartoon props in the future (or purchase, use and edit from the community)
- Export to both 3D and 2D (think I've seen vids where this is possible), using both Video and Images (for use in 2D advertising)
- Use lip synching etc
- Purchase outfits (editable) for my toon
- Purchase movement packs etc that are fully compatible with my toon
- Purchase both 2D and 3D scene/environments
- I'd also like to be able to commission developers/members of the iClone Community to create specific items from the above list that I could use in marketing videos and 2D advertising

That's about it! I run a relatively small business, so I just don't want to spend lots of coin buying things that are a. unnecessary because of overlaps in software, b. not going to achieve what I want them to achieve. I'd rather buy the minimum amount of software required and use the excess coin on buying/commissioning custom outfits, props, scenes etc.

Anybody able to give me some solid advice or point me in the right direction?

Poss

Edited
9 Years Ago by poss.mcleod
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Hi poss.mcleod,

Welcome to the forum BigGrin

maybe a good way to start would be posting a picture or something similar to what you are aiming for.

There are a variety of ways to achieve characters, and each way will have it's own unique - style / genre.

For example, a toon avatar monkey will look like a pixar style monkey, yet a monkey from daz will look like a humanoid monkey - more lifelike .....and a moded iclone character will look like a game monkey ( low poly humanoid )

If you post a picture, it may help shed light on what technique might be best for achieving the look you want.

The technique costs, range from free - with modifying base characters through textures - to buying 3DXchange, some 3rd party modeling / rigging software along with the toon maker software to make a highly customized movie ready character.

Then there's also the CTA2 approach, which is 2D characters with the ability to do 3D motions.

Cheers BigGrin

poss.mcleod
poss.mcleod
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)

Thanks for the response. And yep, good idea regarding posting some pix. I'll have a look around and see what I can come up with and post these below.

Chat more soon! Smile

poss.mcleod
poss.mcleod
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

This Vid shows 2D Rendering using "Toon Shader". From a tute video that from memory uses iClone Toonmaker (not sure if it's using TM2 as well as the original), Avatar Builder (which I think is part of the Avatar Toolkit Vol 2. : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06-vyspwzEU&t=10m40s

This is pretty close to what I'm after, I just need to know that I'll be able to customise the existing bodies (from whatever packs I purchase) enough to create MY toon. If i'm understanding the process correctly (and there's a big chance I'm not lol) then I should be able to craft my own 'props' as extra body parts (like ears, shoes etc). Yes?

These vids show the kinda of 3D quality I'm after:

- http://city.reallusion.com/ContentPreview.aspx?i=JIC1b2d0389c7ac6b839&g=GS634187864052493845

- http://city.reallusion.com/ContentPreview.aspx?i=JICa04e3dc6d6181bf16

So I guess I just need to know/confirm what packs I need to purchase to be able to create, modify and animate my toon.

My Base toon that I'll be using as a guide (see attached). It's my mascot head, Photoshopped on to a toon created by http://www.sosfactory.com/. I included that just as a reference to the type of body dimensions I'll be attempting to create myself, I do not intended on stealing someone elses work.

Hope that helps a lil.

Attachments
Edited
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

ahh, ok....

this....
http://www.reallusion.com/iclone/iclone_AvatarToolkit.aspx

is the plug in itself that allows you to modify this style of character with your own custom parts.

then there is the free avatar controller -
http://city.reallusion.com/ContentPreview.aspx?i=IC551E055ENU0601C001

this doesn't allow you to build characters, but you can use it to control premade props and accessories from the market place

if you are creating your own unique parts / props / geometry - then you want the toolkit...

if you want to simply use premade parts and animate them, then you just get the controller and buy the extension / addon parts found in the iclone store and the marketplace.

I hope this helps make some sense of it.

Cheers Smile

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Greetings and salutations.  Welcome to the forum.

For the basics, you'll want iClone "Pro" and 3DXchange.

"Pro" iClone will give you access to all the iClone features, and 3DXchange will allow you to import props from other sources, so that will probably be a great value for you over time.

iClone will export 2D video (and 3D video), but if you want to export actual 3D "animation" you might need the more expensive "Pipeline version, but from what you've described I don't think you'll need that.  It's more for game developers.  There is some export capability from iClone, for props and stuff, but I believe you'll have to wait for a free update toiClone6/3DXchange that is coming but has no date yet.

For modeling... your options are legion, and prices range from free to thousands.

P.S.

iClone is fun, but don't neglect your primary business.  Tongue

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

prabhatM
prabhatM
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
justaviking (3/23/2015)

iClone is fun, but don't neglect your primary business. Tongue

You sensed almost the same thing as I did.

If it's just about doing the animation of a mascot, one might ask a freelancer to do it and stay focussed on the primary business. Even if ICLONE is easy, it needs a lots of time and energy to do something substantial and real decent. Unless ....one wants to take animation as a hobby....
Edited
9 Years Ago by prabhatM
poss.mcleod
poss.mcleod
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Some good points and advice there guys. Defs agree with the 'Don't neglect your core business' idea lol. I've worked in marketing in the Corporate world before, and often been guilty of spending a disproportionate amount of time on the 'fun stuff' lol. So it's a timely reminder indeed haha.

With regards to outsourcing, I fully intend on outsourcing creation of clothing and external props and scenes down the track, along with animations, but think I want to dabble in the original avatar construction myself, as I'm a bit fussy in that regard and want to spend some time moulding the characteristics and 'personality'.

Just one quick question before I put together a final list and ask for confirmation that i'm on the right track... I've got the iClone 6 Demo installed already, is it possible to demo any of the extra addons at all? Or are there no Try Before YOu Buy possibilities?
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

we have a market place and an online shop,

in the online shop you won't be able to download demos, just web page previews...

the market place will allow you to preview items where the developer of the prop enabled the preview function.....the market place is an open market for all developers including Reallusion to publish their works ...this works on a DA points system, DA points can be purchased at the online shop, and the marketplace also has freebies.

The online shop is where select developers, and Reallusion themselves sell items. - The online shop is a cash direct system.

There are some items that are exclusive to the marketplace that can't be purchased through the online shop, and some items that are exclusive to the online shop that can't be purchased in the marketplace.

Edited
9 Years Ago by planetstardragon
poss.mcleod
poss.mcleod
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

--- iClone 6 Software Initial Needs and Options ---

Ok, think I’ve narrowed it down. Am I on the right track? I’ve also
put a few final questions at the bottom. Thanks for the all the help so far, really appreciate the time you've taken!

ICLONE 6 PRO – Core program (Required)
Link: http://www.reallusion.com/store/purchase_ic.aspx
Price: $199 (Bundles available?)

Link: http://www.reallusion.com/iclone/iclone_AvatarToolkit.aspx
Details: will enable me to create and customize (both my own and
other) puppet parts.
Includes: Avatar Builder, Avatar Controller
Price: $59 (Bundles?)

TOONMAKER 1 (pretty sure I don't need 2)
Link: http://www.reallusion.com/ContentStore/iClone/pack/ToonMaker/
Requirements: Required Avatar Toolkit 2 to function
Details: animation ready avatar components. Looks like using the
‘Junior’ base might be the way to go?
Price: $99 (Bundles with Avatar Toolkit 2?)

** Software Purchase questions:
1. Are there any promo codes I can use to
save some cash? I’ve seen a few bundles that might help too, but will
go have another look once I’ve confirmed the software I need.
2. Assuming that I'll be able to create a toon to my specs just using the above addons, I shouldn't need Mr Pose, or Monster pack or anything similar. Right?

--- Future Needs and Options ---

3DXCHANGE5
Link: http://www.reallusion.com/iclone/3dx/
Details: will allow me to import props/scenes and their animations
from multiple sources and programs
Includes: Avatar Builder, Avatar Controller
Price: Standard $49, Pro $99, Pipeline $249

MOTION PACKS
Link: http://www.reallusion.com/ContentStore/csproduct.aspx?contentid=AIC430DIENU030120101228001
Details: Prebuilt animations will save a lot of time creating my own. Assuming I'd be able to edit and combine these down the track.

QUESTIONS:

- 1. Can I create a toon with 3 fingers and a thumb?

- 2. Avatar Toolkit 2 will allow me to create a pair of
sneakers for my toon? Custom ones based on a pair of real life shoes. For example could I edit a pair of 'Junior's' shoes (see link) to look like a pair of Vans or Converse? Link: http://city.reallusion.com/ContentPreview.aspx?i=IC551E056ENU0601C00E

- 3. I am interested in hiring someone to do some character
sculpting in zBrush (or similar) down the track. Assuming I’ll need
3DXchange to export my iClone files to a format zBrush can edit, then
back again?

- 4. I’d also like to be able to create images and video from
iClone on transparent backgrounds, for use on a website or for use in
2D media (like I can do in Flash). Will I need an addon (eg. popVideo
Converter) to be able to do this?
Edited

Reading This Topic