3DXchange DVD - that was no help at all

Posted By 45thdiv 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
45thdiv
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Well, I was hoping to find some help with importing a prop / set from DAZ.

I exported the file and everything was selected. I imported the file into 3DXchage and all the stuff was there. But when I export the file and open in iclone6 - everything is one item.

Here is the DAZ item http://www.daz3d.com/west-park

How can I find out how to export the file from 3DXchange correctly so that I can open the doors of the rooms? They are all separate in 3DXchange. Maybe I am choosing the wrong export options?

I exported it from DAZ as a FBX file. Then imported that file into 3DXchange. I selected the root node (renamed it) then aligned it to the ground.

I make sure I have everything selected again and export to iclone. It exports as a prop (no way to change that) I have the animation box checked to export as well. When all is done, I open it up in iClone6 and it is one large prop, with no way to open the doors.

I know I must be doing something out of order. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Matthew

Matthew

PC stats:
Intel Core i7-5930K Processor (6-cores, 15MB Cache, Overclocked to 3.9 GHz with Turbo Boost)

Windows 10
Graphics card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 graphics, 8GB
Memory - 16GB Quad Channel  DDR4 at 2133MHz
DirectX - 12

256GB SSD 6Gb/s main HD + 4TB 6kRPM SATA 6Gb/s Storage

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
this is a technique from 3DX4 :p

the term you want to look up is making "sub groups"

45thdiv
45thdiv
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)

Thank you for the example.  I will give this a try tonight when I get home.

Matthew

Matthew

PC stats:
Intel Core i7-5930K Processor (6-cores, 15MB Cache, Overclocked to 3.9 GHz with Turbo Boost)

Windows 10
DirectX - 12

GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
You can create Sub-Props to have separate entities but normally, even without those, you can still access sub-parts for animations by selecting your prop and call the "Edit Animation Layer" dialog.

Chance are that you will see the all bones/items hierarchy/structure that was in Daz, so you can select individual 'items' and animate those.

--
guy rabiller | GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
"N.O.E." (Nations Of Earth) Sci-Fi TV Show, Showrunner.

Edited
9 Years Ago by grabiller
45thdiv
45thdiv
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I shall go look at making sub props. Thank you.

Matthew

PC stats:

Windows 10
DirectX - 12

45thdiv
45thdiv
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

It looks like the directories are already set up. Also, when I select the door for example, the "make Sub-Prop button is greyed out so I cannot select this.

I'll keep playing around.

Matthew

PC stats:

Windows 10
DirectX - 12

GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)

Could you give us a screenshot of your asset in 3DXchange right after FBX import ?

--

wendyluvscatz
wendyluvscatz
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Senior Forum Member

Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Most of Jack Tomalins props need a bit of extra work exporting from DAZ.
obj format is best, hide doors by clicking eye icon and export not hidden checked in options from DAZ.
Then do the same for each door etc or one door and reuse copies in iClone.
Some models do work in edit motion layer as said if boned figures not all are, parented props fail badly as FBX export as DAZ puts everything at 0,0,0
it all comes down to how the prop is modeled and set up.
Sadly those with morphs will not work at all unless used attached and merged with the dummy bone and animated as an avatar in expression editor, yes some props do use vertex morphs too.

GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Hey Wendy,

For props that are properly setup in Daz I've found that exporting those as *.fbx is a better option than *.obj, because with *.obj you don't get the normals and you have to smooth/autosmooth manually all the props normals (when needed).

On a side note - and from my experience but I may be doing something wrong - one should be aware that nor *.fbx nor *.obj export all the textures from a Daz object. Especially the specular textures. So better look inside the Daz runtime prop texture folder to get all the textures and fix/enhance all the materials (either in 3DXchange or in iClone) with those textures.

--

Edited
9 Years Ago by grabiller
45thdiv
45thdiv
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks for the other ideas everyone. I am not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to the 3D animation world and everything you are saying, while I am sure is very good advice, is going right over my head. I have no clue what you are talking about. Well, I have a bit, but still, my researching into how the DAZ file was set up and such will not work with me. I am an animator, not a 3D modeler. And when I say, animator, I mean real world puppets and models. I realize that I will have to learn all of this, but for now I am just 3 weeks into this world of 3D and I am drowning in the sea of what must be known.

I have appreciated all of the help I have been given from all of the forum members. It is just a lot to take in.

As for taking a screen shot. I can't figure out where that tool is in windows 8.1. I have the added learning curve of a new OS, having been on a MAC for the past 8 years.

For me, it is late. I will try to find the screen capture thing tomorrow. I have walked through the steps several times and I am getting the same results on anything I try.

We try to swim again tomorrow.Smile

Matthew

PC stats:

Windows 10
DirectX - 12

Reading This Topic