Profile Picture

Very Disappointed in the currently advertised iClone 6 future - Mocap system in particular

Posted By Ascensi 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Very Disappointed in the currently advertised iClone 6 future - Mocap...

Author
Ascensi
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
I believe it's a bad move to drop the MS Kinect for iClone 6
Very disappointed in the future of iClone 6! - this view has changed some.

I originally bought iClone 5 & 3DxChange for its inexpensive mocap system solution and fast scene building to export to Maya and Unity. The animation from the mocap could be tweaked if needed. People should be able to use their existing equipment on the new system to continue to be able to do the work they need to do right away and upgrade as they need.

With iClone 6 I bought it and the Indigo Rendering Suite and now I'm seeing a bigger picture..

I use iClone to build ideas and now to create high quality output with the new Rendering suite plugin but now this product line is failing "simplicity and affordability".
http://sixense.com/ it seems would be an inexpensive alternative to the mocap system Reallusion is debating the future for and is also already being used in Unity. Update: the new mocap system although is more precise, a 10 node system is being advertised for approximately $200 which is about the same cost and amount of areas that are tracked with the Kinect not including the Reallusion plugin.

I would prefer to keep the existing solutions and have them upgraded as they mature rather than just dropping them totally for another technology!! I have already invested in the tools/plugins Reallusion had already attracted our attention to but abandoning a functional system for another is just infuriating and I'm normally very patient and understanding.

I already own Maya 2014 and it excepts and outputs to just about everything and supports just about every Mocap solution so it's "GOOD" for beginners and the advanced but iClone was "AWESOME" for beginners with mocap, quick scene building, material mapping and it's animation system.. and all it needed was better rendering, facial mocap and perhaps a better system for higher quality next gen characters. Now it seems like people might* have to pay double for what iClone had originally "surprise!! " - if they want mocap and all the rest. Reallusion if you absolutely must drop Kinect but plan to charge for you the plugin for the new mocap system it would be a better trade off for existing Kinect Mocap customers that you do not charge them and/or offer them a discount on the new mocap system.

I'm sure iClone is heading toward becoming a top of the line product for almost all needs (game engines, Entertainment, demos etc) but it will close the door on the smaller studios working hard to make a complete system. Unity 5 is almost at the same level of easy scene building and it's free without the advanced/quality rendering and there are many options to render animations through it that may be advanced enough but if iClone concentrates now on inexpensive/existing mocap and facial mocap then my interest is still with iClone.

All the new features are awesome, good work Reallusion for that.. please don't drop simple mocap solutions.. Remember the bigger tools/brands keep the support for all technologies - file extension compatibility, mocap, 3rd party add ons etc -these companies last.
Thank you for hearing me, Kurt N.

Store Page Link 
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/906a14b0-c792-4382-99ee-7dfe.jpg
AMD 4.5 GHz 16 Cores  | 128 GB | RTX 4090 | Window11 | Houdini FX 18.5 | Zbrush 2023 | Maya 2014 | Adobe CS6 | Sonar Producer X3 | iC8, CC4 | DTS Master Audio Suite | Perception Neuron 32 Alum Edition | Akeytsu 

Edited
10 Years Ago by Ascensi
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
it took me about a week to get use to it, iclone 6 is far superior to iclone 5, and we are getting new technology for mocap.

You can still do mocaps in iclone 5 and port it over to 6 ...so you are not limited. You can't stop iclone from evolving with new technologies for old technology. Cultures die when they don't change. Fact.

This software is an awesome jump in the right direction. You just need more time to get use to it, and the New update just needs to settle in.

I've been on since iclone 3 , and the new additions are amazing, you haven't lost anything, if anything, you've gained everything.

Give it time, trust me on this, it's just a growing pains scenario at the moment.

Ascensi
Ascensi
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the matter, your right about letting it evolve but not at the risk of loosing a majority of its customer base. Maya and Blender evolved and kept older or lower end technologies so it can still work for everyone, not just the big studios.
If I wanted to go to the level iClone is pushing for I would likely of invested in Motion builder instead if I knew that iClone was going to drop the Kinect - at least it supports both the Kinect and higher end mocap solutions.

Store Page Link 
AMD 4.5 GHz 16 Cores  | 128 GB | RTX 4090 | Window11 | Houdini FX 18.5 | Zbrush 2023 | Maya 2014 | Adobe CS6 | Sonar Producer X3 | iC8, CC4 | DTS Master Audio Suite | Perception Neuron 32 Alum Edition | Akeytsu 

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Trust me, they are on our side, and even further they listen to us. I say us, you and me, and they are kind enough to let me in the betas knowing that I can be very loud about our needs haha....but they do listen...

and if you see the new tools they are replacing the kinect with ....you will be excited more than anything ...it's an affordable new system that's cutting edge and way way more accurate than kinect.

and the reason the old technologies disappear is to NOT do exactly what maya and max are doing, bloating their system. So it's a good thing, and in the end, you will have both systems anyways ..one with ic5 ...and the new one with ic6.

It's an exciting future...but no doubts there will be growing pains. So it's a team effort of us being patient and supportive, and them being diligent and attentive. All of which is happening...despite the growing pains lol Smile

Ascensi
Ascensi
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I don't mind upgrading here and there when it makes sense.. I've been trying to find the price of the new mocap system that's advertised to be inexpensive.. if it were under $300 USD I would definitely be excited but if we/existing Kinect customers were charged full price on a new plugin on top of that it's not fair. They are still advertising/pushing the existing mocap solution - a deal on the iClone 6/3DXchange page about getting iClone 5 along with the mocap plugin http://www.reallusion.com/iclone/3DXchange.html (at the bottom) now isn't that a bit of a slap in the face? buy the kinect and mocap system for iClone 5 --- kind of bloating up a computer having both iClone 5 and iClone 6 when iClone 6 is ideally meant to replace it.

I don't want to load all my content into each program to test & create.. it should be one program -save disk space and no synchronizing to do. They should either drop the sale of the current mocap plugin or change the web print asap because just like iClone 5 is no longer being sold on the main page because it is considered to be obsolete any new customers that buy it in the back web pages may become just as frustrated as myself because there is no mention that the mocap plugin will not be compatible for future versions of iClone http://www.reallusion.com/iclone5/iclone_mocap_device.aspx - although it does currently state "only for iClone 5 Pro Edition" they should state that it might be discontinued in iClone 6+.

The bloatware of Maya and Blender I would say are for professionals because the bloat extends the capabilities/compatibilities of the software beyond the lessor/average tools. You choose what you want to see in your UI, you're not forced to see or use/load everything. Anyway I feel if Reallusion wants to appeal to all then if the current mocap solution is the cheapest they should keep it as an optional plugin and continue to adopt support for high end equipment as well..

Store Page Link 

Edited
10 Years Ago by Ascensi
Ascensi
Ascensi
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I've recently learned more about the new mocap system for which a 10 node system will be selling for approximately $200 and the complete 30 node approximately $500 now this is a very decent system! but some can't migrate to a new system that quickly and still would need to rely on what they have so I still believe that Reallusion should keep/make existing Kinect mocap plugin support for iClone 6 so that users are not stranded.

I would definately be upgrading to the new mocap system but 1.the system is not yet available to anyone.. 2. funds to upgrade are not instant.. 3. we need to be able to work with what we have until we can upgrade. Making a high quality presentation in iClone 6 with the existing mocap can help land us in a better financial circumstance especially revealing to clients what can happen in the near future.

I as well as others would likely feel a bit robbed upgrading to a fine new toy/tool then realizing that they can't use the other toys/tools along with it.. it doesn't give us that much ability to do anything. I want to see mocap with the new tools in realtime.

Store Page Link 

Edited
10 Years Ago by Ascensi
iclonenewbies
iclonenewbies
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (308 reputation)Senior Member (308 reputation)Senior Member (308 reputation)Senior Member (308 reputation)Senior Member (308 reputation)Senior Member (308 reputation)Senior Member (308 reputation)Senior Member (308 reputation)Senior Member (308 reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Ascensi (12/21/2014)
the iClone 6/3DXchange page about getting iClone 5 along with the mocap plugin http://www.reallusion.com/iclone/3DXchange.html

Can someone confirm if I buy this bundle now will automatically upgrade my iclone 5 to iclonee 6?

Edited
10 Years Ago by iclonenewbies
MrStockboto
MrStockboto
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Purchasing Reallusion's Mocap for iClone is what caused me to walk away from iClone for over a year. To this day I haven't seen anything anyone has produced using iClone's Mocap beyond a character flailing around calling it a dance. Anything other then that requires more time to "clean up" what you get from mocap then it does to do it from scratch.

I like iClone 6 quite a bit, but Reallusion should be ashamed for still taking people's hard earned money for that iClone 5 Mocap plugin.

Support your fellow enthusiasts by visiting:

colour
colour
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Texoma (12/27/2014)
Purchasing Reallusion's Mocap for iClone is what caused me to walk away from iClone for over a year. To this day I haven't seen anything anyone has produced using iClone's Mocap beyond a character flailing around calling it a dance. Anything other then that requires more time to "clean up" what you get from mocap then it does to do it from scratch.

I like iClone 6 quite a bit, but Reallusion should be ashamed for still taking people's hard earned money for that iClone 5 Mocap plugin.

I concur with Texoma's Post

You can create any Character Animation you like, using Iclone's Character Animation Templates & Tools eg; Edit Motion Later etc. You don't need MOCAP, which is a hinderance. Not an asset.

You need to be very careful of Reallusion's Marketing Hype. Many have fallen foul of it, including me. Some but not all of that hype, would be in breach of the UK's Trades Descriptions Act.  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REALLUSION FORUM ANNUAL PINHEAD COMMUNITY PROJECTS.

New Pinhead Website & Project to be announced in September 2015

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

iclonenewbies
iclonenewbies
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (308 reputation)Senior Member (308 reputation)Senior Member (308 reputation)Senior Member (308 reputation)Senior Member (308 reputation)Senior Member (308 reputation)Senior Member (308 reputation)Senior Member (308 reputation)Senior Member (308 reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Texoma (12/27/2014)

Thanks for the advice.
But I'm only going to use Iclone for previz.
I believe Iclone doesn't have any curve editor or mocap editing tools which means I won't be using Iclone for anything else but camera work and previz. So the limited feature of the kinect is ok. I've used ipisoft and brekel with a single kinect and I assume the range is the same in that only frontal captures are possible. That's ok its only for previz.

Reading This Topic