Noitom Perception (MOCAP)

Posted By james_muia 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
james_muia
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
http://www.reallusion.com/iclone/iclone_ComingFeature.html

It looks like Reallusion is going to integrate Noitom Perception into iClone...I've got to say, that they are going in the right direction. One of the most promising kickstarters for MOCAP I've seen. Sadly I didn't get to back the project. After having spent quite a bit of cash on building a useless MOCAP studio using iPiSoft (who since went to a subscription based software - hence the useless part) I am quite thrilled to hear this news. Noitom Perception is quite frankly the best solution out there for the consumer level pricing point.

Give us a mocap tool easy to learn and easy to integrate into our iClone characters and the possibilities are endless. The movies we are going to make will be ridiculous.

My green room may be a little dusty, but I'll put it to use in the future, that I'm sure of.

Good job RL, this puts a smile on my face.

IMDB: James Muia
Aviticus Dragon on YouTube

Computer Specs:
Intel® Core™ i7-7820X Processor (8x 4.30GHz/11MB L3 Cache)
Corsair Hydro Series H115i 280mm
Liquid CPU CoolerASUS ROG STRIX X299-E Gaming Motherboard
32 GB DDR4-3200 GSKILL Ripjaws V Memory
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti - 11GB - EVGA FTW3

TucsonDoobie
TucsonDoobie
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (610 reputation)Veteran Member (610 reputation)Veteran Member (610 reputation)Veteran Member (610 reputation)Veteran Member (610 reputation)Veteran Member (610 reputation)Veteran Member (610 reputation)Veteran Member (610 reputation)Veteran Member (610 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I could not agree more on this issue. I too went with ipiSoft and never had much luck, so I've bailed on that upgrade that's over $800 down the drain. I wish that product had come out then, but more Rice & Beans and I'll be able to get one.
I'm so glad the emphasis is back on creating movies! Hehe
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
ipi went subscription ? that's going to backfire on them :x

ken_1171
ken_1171
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Neuron Perception seems to be a quite elegant mocap solution that no longer relies on optical cameras. This means more precision, less animation spikes, no interference from lighting conditions, and less worries about camera sight ranges and occlusion.

Nonetheless, Noitom is estimating the 30 joints set to cost no less than $550, which is many times more expensive than several Kinects. On the bright side, it can track hand and finger motions, up to 2 bones per finger.

But for that to work, you have to remove sensors from other body parts, since a complete body with fingers would require 37 sensors, and Perception only supports up to 30 because of Wi-Fi hub bandwidth limitations. So if you want to track the entire body, you cannot track the fingers. And if you want to track the fingers, you cannot track the lower body. In either case, Noitom does not provide enough sensors to cover both in the standard packages (10, 20 or 30 sensors).

You can buy as many extra sensors as you wish, but you cannot plug more than 30 to the hub. Noitom also claims you cannot wear 2 hubs to compensate for that, for [they claim] it will overwhelm the software, making it too complex to manage. They also decided NOT to include the power supply (Li-ion USB power) to lower the costs, where the full body 30 sensors package will require 2 of them, and you have to buy them separately.

Some features are claimed to be exclusive to people who participated in the Kickstart event, and it is unclear if they will be included in the commercial version. Although the mocap software is offered for free, there is also a commercial "Pro" version that offers mocap editing, precision calibrations, smoothing, contact detection, and correction that is not available in the free version. Nonetheless, the free version is claimed to support capturing of up to 2 simultaneous characters. Kinect 2 supports twice that much, but we cannot plug more than one per machine because of the high bandwidth demands. Noitom claims this mocap software can be used even with an older Surface Pro 2 tablet, where the new Surface Pro 3 (i5) can choke on Kinect 2.0 capture.

Although Noitom insists that their inertial-based mocap solution is "cheap", the final price to the consumer will be a decisive factor. During the Kickstart period, they were selling the 30 sensors package for $500, but they claim the consumer version will be "more expensive". Currently they have no pricing announced for either the product or the Pro edition of the software. Pricing is only available by directly contacting the company in Beijing.

Reading This Topic