Component Breakthrough on Model

Posted By Britlish 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Britlish
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Machines of War Air Force was just what I needed to provide a cracking Spitfire for my new character, Captain Britlish. The detail on the Spit is amazing and very accurate. One thing I'm having difficulty with, however, is the breakthrough of the model's undercarriage on to the model wing surface at certain light angles. You can see in the first second or so of this test clip that the plane's undercarriage shows up on the top of the wings as a flickering anomaly. I was wondering if there was a way to avoid this happening through adjusting the lighting or the reflective properties of the model?
Any help will be most gratefully received.

Britlish.com

KenCoon
KenCoon
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
I did not see anything unusual in this one.
The bit of the bottom of the wing is probably because the wing is not pointed in the front but rather widely rounded(?). There will be a bit of the shaded portion of the wing showing in the camera because of this. I think it has to do with the wing being an airfoil.
Those are my thoughts.
I looked at this on my PC and on my Kindle Fire.
KenSmile
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 9 hours ago
I see what you mean. I'm pretty sure that's the same thing that happens when a Clonecloth avatar is a certain distance from the camera. The difference in depth of the wing surface to the undercarriage surface becomes to small to resolve properly, so you end up seeing them flicker or interpenetrate. The wheels need to really tuck into that wing pretty tightly.

You might try setting the opacity of the undercarriage to 0% for the long shots.
Britlish
Britlish
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I think you are probably right, rampa. When the model is substituted with the combat-only version of the plane, without the undercarriage, the problem does not occur.
Thanks for your help.

Britlish.com

Reading This Topic