Set Ground Plane for .OBJ

Posted By james_muia 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
james_muia
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Hi there,

I'm new to IClone 5 and I'm currently working on a forest scene. I've imported a forest from DAZ, reduced the poly's, and it's in IClone just fine. The problem I'm running into is that when I try to create a path for my character to follow, and map the path to the ground plane; it finds the actual ground plane but doesn't acknowledge the ground of the .obj. So in reality my character is sticking halfway through the ground of the .obj file following the actual "ground plane".

Is there any way to mark a .obj file as the ground plane or some other way around this?

Thanks!

IMDB: James Muia
Aviticus Dragon on YouTube

Computer Specs:
Intel® Core™ i7-7820X Processor (8x 4.30GHz/11MB L3 Cache)
Corsair Hydro Series H115i 280mm
Liquid CPU CoolerASUS ROG STRIX X299-E Gaming Motherboard
32 GB DDR4-3200 GSKILL Ripjaws V Memory
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti - 11GB - EVGA FTW3

animagic
animagic
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
Did you try to add your OBJ plane to the terrain? Right-click the plane and select "Add to terrain".

Your characters should now follow the newly created terrain.

If it doesn't work then you may need to check the Terrain settings (see below). Select Follow Terrain.

If the Terrain settings are greyed out (disabled), press Control-Q to disable the gizmo, which will enable the Terrain settings.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

james_muia
james_muia
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)

Thanks a lot for the reply. I'll give this a try and see how it goes! Appreciate it!

Computer Specs:

james_muia
james_muia
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Alright this seems to work well, but now I've run into another problem. Whenever I try to assign an avatar to a motion path, they don't actually stand at Point A on the path, they stand about 5 feet to the right of it. Is there a reason for this?

If I open a new project, and create a path, and point a character to Point A on the path, they will start exactly where that point is no problem.

This issue only happens whenever I seem to have terrain added to the scene from what I can see.

Computer Specs:

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 19 minutes ago
jmuia (11/1/2014)
Alright this seems to work well, but now I've run into another problem. Whenever I try to assign an avatar to a motion path, they don't actually stand at Point A on the path, they stand about 5 feet to the right of it. Is there a reason for this?

If I open a new project, and create a path, and point a character to Point A on the path, they will start exactly where that point is no problem.

This issue only happens whenever I seem to have terrain added to the scene from what I can see.

If you post a pic, it'd help.

It may be that your terrain is set to "bounding Mesh". To check, select terrain in the scene manager and then check over in the right-hand panel. There will be a check box up near the top.

Often, when you add something to the terrain, it defaults to "Bounding Mesh.
james_muia
james_muia
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I've attached a picture. So I've created a path. Set it to project to the terrain, then when I assign the character to the path, he starts to the right of Point A. Then if I move the key frames down, and point him at point B, he'll move in a straight line to point B, but not on it.

I've started a new project, just added the terrain, and it works fine, so not sure what changed in this project file.

Come to think of it, I did have some other wood terrain .obj's that I assigned as terrain (not seen in picture since I removed them), so I wonder if that had any affect on it the project as a whole.

Computer Specs:

Attachments
image1.jpg (325 views, 601.00 KB)
image2.jpg (306 views, 557.00 KB)
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 19 minutes ago
Try this. Instead of picking a path, right-click on your avatar, scroll down to "Move" in the pop-up menu and select the "Move Forward" sub menu. Then click on any point of the path. The avatar should walk to the near end of the path and then along it.

You can use the same Righ-Click method sans path as well. Just do the same and click wherever on screen you want your avatar to walk to. With no path, the avatar will walk in a straight line.

More specifically, to your issue in that scene, I'm guessing that the "Pick Path" did not assign properly. Curious though, because it sounds like it has worked in a subsequent scene. Try deleting and reloading both the avatar and path. I guess that would be "draw a new path".Smile Also, have you tried a curved path?

Does the behavior change if you don't project the path to the terrain? You actually don't need to, in most cases.

Here's a video demo. There are a few variations of this as well.

Reading This Topic