g5 avatar in unity

Posted By hcameron90 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
hcameron90
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
Hey I want to use G5 avatars in a game in unity. I know that these avatars file size are much larger than the G4, and G3 avatars. But I dont' want to use them. I want to make a mobile game that's at least less than 30M.

I have at least 4 G5 avatars and a few props, my project size in iclone is at 89764KB already. Once I export my content into Unity and add scripts and other stuff in unity. Will all that together be less than 30M when downloaded on a mobile device?
animagic
animagic
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 11 hours ago
I hope you get a response from those who have actually tried this...Unsure

One aspect of the file size is textures. iClone uses several textures for a character and then some more for clothing. For a game you would create a texture atlas, an optimized single texture with all relevant parts. I don't know if Unity is able to create such textures, but that would help the size I would think.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

hcameron90
hcameron90
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)

ok thanks....

so does that go for g4 an g3 characters? Could I use them or no?
hcameron90
hcameron90
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Is there a way to still use g5 characters but in 2D?

Can I animate the g5 character in iclone. save that as a sprite or gif animation and use that content in unity ...instead of using a 3d avatar can I use a 3d avatar thats converted into a 2D avatar??

if that makes sense...
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
maybe you specialize in horror games that you present all these hideous characters ? Blink

yeah, merge, decimate, bake...done.

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
sw00000p (9/11/2014)
planetstardragon (9/11/2014)
maybe you specialize in horror games that you present all these hideous characters ? Blink

yeah, merge, decimate, bake...done.

maybe its that you DON'T have the Skill to do THIS.

JEALOUS, UH! Tongue

They sell... no matter how ugly they are! Smile
...because I give the client.... EXACTLY what they want! Cool

Sorry, you don't have the money for "Much Better Tools!"
Don't Hate!

Tongue

hcameron90
hcameron90
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I have everything Adobe.. and I'm thinking about getting blender ( like in the next ten minutes) and that example was great!!!

As far as sculpting in blender i can do that. But in your example how did you apply the UV maps on the character? Do you know a tutorial or can you show me how?

Thanks!
hcameron90
hcameron90
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

ok First thanks these four steps. They are simple and straight forward

however I'm still new at adding maps. can you explain steps 2-4 on welding and having 1 material ID

how did you do those steps?... did you do those steps in Photoshop or all in iclone?

Thanks again!
hcameron90
hcameron90
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

ok cool thanks!

SO once I do this i will be able to use my (4) g5 characters in unity?

In the case of having the game at least less than 30M. I'm making a simple game like this

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.batteryacid.jamcity
Vit3D
Vit3D
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
There are another 2 reason why better do not use G5 characters in Unity (even if You optimized UV and textures and removed invisible polygons):

1. Unity has 4 bones (maximum) dependance limit. So if more that 4 bones affect on mesh vertex movement, some dependance will be simply dropped and skin deformation will be incorrect. G5 character has a lot of bones (especially in face) and a lot of vertexes have more that 4 bones dependance and as result You could have some issues.

2. Unity has no support for special controllers for bones (like twist (skin) bones, elbow. knee).
Such bones used in G5 for smooth skin deformation, but after export in FBX they will not work.
As result You could have skin deformation issues, especially in elbow and knee zones.

So always better to use character models which have been created with taking these limitations into account Wink In this case G1 and G3 characters are better fit.
Or You could use characters on "G5 Game" skeleton, which have been specially created for using in the external applications like Unity.

Vit

Edited
10 Years Ago by Vit3D

Reading This Topic