Pose to pose animation in IClone

Posted By dangkhoaln 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
dangkhoaln
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (799 reputation)Veteran Member (799 reputation)Veteran Member (799 reputation)Veteran Member (799 reputation)Veteran Member (799 reputation)Veteran Member (799 reputation)Veteran Member (799 reputation)Veteran Member (799 reputation)Veteran Member (799 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 10 Years Ago
Hi, guys. I have a question is how create a pose to pose animation in IClone?
wires
wires
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Have a look at the excellent tutorial by Rampa in this post. CoolSmile

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (21H2), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-536.99), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
it's not hard, but it can be tedious.

http://youtu.be/m3w6IkEmzfc

dangkhoaln
dangkhoaln
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (799 reputation)Veteran Member (799 reputation)Veteran Member (799 reputation)Veteran Member (799 reputation)Veteran Member (799 reputation)Veteran Member (799 reputation)Veteran Member (799 reputation)Veteran Member (799 reputation)Veteran Member (799 reputation)

Last Active: 10 Years Ago
Thank you!
thebiz.movies
thebiz.movies
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
I think the tutorial Wires referenced, while excellent, is about stringing together and aligning premade animations. Pose to pose animating is about creating poses in the timeline and letting iclone make the transition movements between the poses. As PSD stated this can be very time consuming but can be a great tool to use for simple custom animations that can fill in between the premade ones.

PSD, you made that entire animation? How many motion keyframes did it take (one every frame?)? Very impressive. It looks a lot like mocap. Would be cool to see your process.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c02c75f8-9ae1-4091-b8e9-2175.gifhttps://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/4c56836b-f19d-4836-8a16-6370.gif

Edited
10 Years Ago by thebiz.movies
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Yes, Thank you Smile I did it for the game dev team.

I'd have to open the files to count them, but I think it would make more sense if I explain how I approached it - I developed a little system after a run of trial and error.

First if you notice, My character is marked up with black lines on limbs and chest - head
this is important because sometimes when you do twists and turns it's easy to lose a natural twist on the arms. Especially with martial arts moves where every part of the body is constantly twisting around - from turns and spins.

2nd, - I used more of a visual reference than an every 10 frames reference, I'd fast forward the video to every significant twist on a limb - Iclone is great at tweening - but if say for example you are doing a martial art that is very sneaky ( or some spanish dances for that matter that have fast sudden bursts of twist and turn moves ) the every x frames method doesn't work because the tweening always calculates the most direct motion to fill in the blanks, it won't know that you had to, for example, push the knee up first and twist the ankle before pulling back. and sometimes it's harder to correct that after the iclone tween than just put it on cue from the star. So i'd scroll through my timeline thinking - "that can be tweened, that can be tweened, that's my next marker" - also, following the every x frames method tends to make the motion more visually choppy - like you see the subtle rhythm of something clicking every x frames. - add to that iclone tweening works best / smoothest with the least keyframes - so once you finish marking all your keyframes - go back and try to do a quick clean up of any keyframes you don't need anymore and let iclone tween as much as possible.

One trick to know in between all this is that you can right click on a keyframe marker / dot and add a transition to that single keyframe - very cool feature to smooth out the sudden pop stop motions that come up when certain keyframe cause a sudden turn.

I'm still refining my techniques to be honest - like I'll do some smoothing at the keyframe level but then save segments of files and overlap them or spread them out to adjust the timing. I'm getting better at it, but am anxious for the new tools that will come with IC6 so I can have more control.

so in summary - This is my method so far.

Round 1 - set the initial visual marker keyframes
Round 2 - go back and fill in the blanks and details in between your keyframes
Round 3 - go back and remove any keyframes that are no longer necessary to make the motion smoother.
Round 4 - save your segment and chop it up to adjust timing / feel of over all motion and final tweaks.

Edited
10 Years Ago by planetstardragon
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

planetstardragon (8/28/2014)

First if you notice, My character is marked up with black lines on limbs and chest - head
this is important because sometimes when you do twists and turns it's easy to lose a natural twist on the arms. Especially with martial arts moves where every part of the body is constantly twisting around - from turns and spins.

That's a great tip, and one I've thought about (because you've mentioned it) but haven't actually done.  True, it's easy to have an elbow turn out backward.  Depending on your avatar's clothing, it might not be apparent, but later when you apply a motion it results in broken arms.

2nd, - I used more of a visual reference than an every 10 frames reference, I'd fast forward the video to every significant twist on a limb - Iclone is great at tweening - but if say for example you are doing a martial art that is very sneaky ( or some spanish dances for that matter that have fast sudden bursts of twist and turn moves ) the every x frames method doesn't work because the tweening always calculates the most direct motion to fill in the blanks, it won't know that you had to, for example, push the knee up first and twist the ankle before pulling back.

Totally agree.  If Chuck is sitting at a table with his hands on his lap, and I want him to reach for a cup on the table, I need to find a mid-point and put the hand near the edge of the table, otherswise it goes straight from the lap to the cup, going THROUGH the table.  That "mid-point" may actually be anywhere from 30% to 70% between the start-point and end-point, time-wise, depending on the actual motion.  But as you said, you don't need (or want) equally spaced key frames.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I wonder if the gurus at RL can write an autoclean algorhythm - something where I can keyframe like I mentioned in my post / list - but instead of me going back and cleaning / removing any extra keyframes - I invoke an autoclean script that analyzes the path and smooths it out and removes any extra keyframes to make it more naturalistic. ie - scan for sliding feet.

I believe that's what www.ikinema.com does with their solvers, I'd love to have a solver in iclone!!!!!!

in music we call that quantization. :p maybe RL can call it the new "Quantize" method and patent it lol

Edited
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 46 minutes ago
You could set all your keyframes to step for some "extreme quantizing"BigGrin

But seriously, your method is working nicely there.
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

hrmm, rampa, that right there just gave me an idea for techniques to make robot / dubstep dances! ^.^

we try to make artificial stuff look human with computers, but meanwhile humans try to look artificial when dancing!

Edited

Reading This Topic