Posted By CloneBot Zack 15 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

New CCD Contract, Royalty Free and Commercialization Guide

Author
planetstardragon
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Week
think of it like this, when the rest of the world says they have no work for you because the economy is horrible, reallusion said, come , I'll give you a chance to make money with us.

so lets get this right because we all need to eat lol BigGrin

and im convinced elvis did not need all 6 billion people in the world to like him to be a star.

good for him!

if i personally wanted to be selfish about my income, i'd encourage reallusion to discontinue their developer program, it doesn't affect me because i do audio and not 3D design. Then I'd encourage them to open formats so we have a higher level clientèle, the people with fat wallets, I'd encourage "artists" to develop more stories that can be sold to hollywood for real money, and I'd want to be a part of the store front trying to sell useful royalty free simple sound effects to novice designers thats for use in iclone only, while pitching my work to the more industrial crowd of clients that suddenly find iclone useful for getting work done as fast as possible to keep their overhead down.

I personally don't like the developer program, it seems too limiting on a program that can speed up the work flow on an industrial level.

so , if i speak up for 3D artists, it's because i care that others eat as well. I'd make more money with a hollywood / commercial level of clients myself. I'd rather sell stories than gunshots and tank tops lol.

So truth be told, im rooting for reallusions best interest, because ultimately its in my best interest.

Edited
15 Years Ago by planetstardragon
Apparition
Apparition
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.5K reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
Dear Gorz!

I have to come up to rescue CloneBot Zack.  He is NOT AT ALL what you suggest in your comment about him.   CloneBot Zack is a very, very helpful person and forum moderator, dedicated to watch mainly for CCDs interests, looking for new opportunities for us, creating contests, and promotional events to stimulate content sales.   He is responsive, diligent and a good friend, ready to help and provide what is at his reach!

Of course he is an important person ar R.L. but he is precisely the force pro-CCDs we all need to have in a company which is logically interested in their own business and profit.

I do find a contradiction, but it is in you message.   If you are NOT a registered CCD, you could NOT have the latest plugins and templates, as those are provided UPON Registration, REQUEST and careful review by the R.L CCD program management.

So the question would be:  Where did you get the plugins?   Are you talking of the latest plugins available, or the older versions of it?

As far as I know, you MUST register as a CCD to gain access to the tool download pages.  Clearly you can see R.L. is worried about knowing EXACTLY who is developing and what!

I think you might be over worried too.   No one is going to "eat" from solely selling iClone content!   That's for sure!    Part of the benefit is the joy of contributing to this novel form of creativity, participating with other intelligent and dedicated people working on the same, and making some revenues out of it, but I don't think earnings will be big enough to "live" on it and to buy goodies as Plasma TVs, BMWs or vacations in Florence!  BigGrin

I don't think, speaking or making hard comments is the way we want this forum to go.   We think this place is for clear, friendly, constructive and positive communications. Cool

Let's keep it this way!   Wink

Mike

Mike Aparicio-Reallusion Certified Innovative Content Developer

Edited
15 Years Ago by Apparition
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

bah , kill the developer program, 1 hit movie is worth more than a thousand royalty free bullets! lets get those guys with the fat wallets in here !!

Alley
Alley
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (16.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.9K reputation)

Mike - I think what Gorz said he uses the plugins that are accessible to anyone who buys Iclone Pro and registers.  And he is correct, there are a certain number that can be accessed before CCD certification level that allows youto sell on Reallusion website.

Gorz - when you submitted your Giraffe to Reallusion, and they accepted it, that was presumably your CCD "certification". 

The only things I see different from before are this:

1)  If you sell a product on Reallusion, it must not be sold cheaper somewhere else.  If you sell a product somewhere else, but not on Reallusion also - you can charge whatever you want for it.  Reallusion reserve the right to be aware of your store's existence, because you are selling products that represent their product and they would like to protect their customers to some degree.  They already stated that your store, Clones2go and Cool Creators are trusted sellers.

2)  At the same time, anything the other three stores sell, cannot be in any way guaranteed by Reallusion as totally safe and complete product.  Makes sense.

3)  If I decide to open a store, I would have to get Reallusion permission first if I am selling anything that uses the Reallusion provided tools.  I assume textures would not be included in this, nor is anything made in sketchup.

4)  If I submit content to Reallusion, they are going to be much more strict in future on the creative shots used to promote the pack.  The marketing/visual is a big part of selling and poorly done promos will affect sales.  Therefore, guidelines are supplied now on how to create acceptable promos.

5)  Additionally, Reallusion will assist in the promo, if I feel unable to do it...for that they take an additional 20%. 

6)  All content sold through Reallusion now is royalty free.

Unless I am missing something, then I don't really understand how this is very much different before, except the fact that it has now been clearly stated.

And I agree with the others - I do this because I enjoy it and not because I think I will retire on the profits Tongue  Its nice pocket money, allows us to buy more Reallusion content without guilt .Laugh

Alley

aknzrdude
aknzrdude
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
clarifying question on royalty free - i do textures and if i apply my textures on a mesh created by bigboss and someone purchase that textured character - i have no problems if the buyer uses the character in whatever vehicle - movies print ads, etc- but i will have an issue if the user saves the texture file and uses it on another non BigBoss character mesh - it might not fit and might not carry over the quality of the original work and cause potential damage to my name (not that it is undamage already)

will this be protected under the RL royalty free rules?

Apparition
Apparition
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.5K reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
Well, this thread is getting really interesting!

I backup 100% what aknzrdude says about the logical limits to "royalty free" concepts.

I also appreciate a lot Alley's help in clarifying, even more and  saying "nothing has practically changed".  Very right!    This is the rule that got to rule what was already ruled! BigGrin

But, regarding the tools:  I just made a test, two minutes ago.    I went into the Developer Center Download tools section, without logging in, as a CCD.

I clicked on each and every item in the tools list, old or new, and in all cases I got a message saying this downloads are reserved for Registered CCDs!   the newest tools for G3 creation are even restricted to all CCDs, and must be requested by separate communication with the Developer Center Management.

It is obvious Developer Tools cannot be in the hands of unregistered persons, as they are ALL reserved for properly registered CCDs.

I think it is reasonable R.L. watches for all kind of items developed with tools obtained some other way, and not by registration.

Maybe CloneBot can come up again and stir a little bit this HOT thread!

Finally, boredom has faded away and there is new, fresh fun at the forum! w00t

Mike Aparicio-Reallusion Certified Innovative Content Developer

animagic
animagic
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 9 hours ago
aknzrdude (5/12/2009)
clarifying question on royalty free - i do textures and if i apply my textures on a mesh created by bigboss and someone purchase that textured character - i have no problems if the buyer uses the character in whatever vehicle - movies print ads, etc- but i will have an issue if the user saves the texture file and uses it on another non BigBoss character mesh - it might not fit and might not carry over the quality of the original work and cause potential damage to my name (not that it is undamage already)

iClone allows you to edit textures as well, so a user may want to edit your texture. Or the character could be reshaped through iClone changing its appearance. There are many ways to abuse iClone that could affect the original developer's creations; I guess that the risk you take as developer.

The only thing I feel you could object to if is someone were to resell your texture modified as his/her own.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

thats easy, just offer a quality assurance guarantee and the user voids the guarantee if used other than manufacturer intended.

now ..about making big money, I know the next steven spielberg is out here somewhere, lets make hits!!

aknzrdude
aknzrdude
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
that is a good point zuilzen - in the context of use - i would be ok with that - someone can change body parts, change colors as long as they use it for thier own movie/print productions
- in that case i would say my question would apply only to reselling -i.e. take a material i created (including clothing/texture pattern, opacity maps etc.) and changing the colors and reselling them

Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
aknzrdude (5/12/2009)

Hi Akn,

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you what you are saying but even without the royalty free change it would be impossible to police what someone does with a texture after they purchase it. Be it from the Reallusion Content Store or any other store, if the user wants to edit the texture, there really is no way to prevent that.

Say for example someone purchases a full length gown texture but decides that they would also like to make a mini skirt out of it for their new movie. How could you stop them? Of course they can't sell the edited texture or share it with others, but including it in a movie or still image wouldn't be something that could be stopped with or without royalty free.

In fact for many users new to texturing this is a common way to get started. Make some changes to an existing outfit to make a new one. I expect most of us have done that at some point in time.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Reading This Topic