Rigging for Noobs

Posted By theschemer 10 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
theschemer
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Started a new thread to keep this organized.

sw00000p (7/14/2014)
theschemer (7/14/2014)I am still watching the thread...And I like to learn all the different techniques and then I can choose what is easier, better, or needed for what I am doing. I hate to be in the middle of the debate, but I am still here watching. Swoooooop, tell me more as I would at least like to know how it is done so I can decide what is best for me. [Wink]
Thanks,
TS

Ok, [Smile]

First, what exactly are you trying to do. There are variousmethods of Rigging inCG.
If you are hoping to do everything, concerning Rigging, in iClone alone...
Stop now... you will only waste your time.

Today... You must use an external 3d modeling and Animation app. to Rig characters.
Reallusion used 3ds Max to build iClone characters and props.
Today, the door is OPENfor practically ANY app to import Custom characters and props.

Blender is Free, but has fbx problems.
The autodesk converter should help with fbx problems. So, what app will you use to Rig characters?

NOTE: This is a learning experience. You need to learn how to correctly construct a skeleton.
No matter which external app you choose, this is the basic requirements:
This starts out very simple and basic....then Intermmediate... to Advanced Rigging.

BASIC:
1. Bone PRS: Position, Scale and Rotation.
2. Bone: Parent child relation.
3. ZERO-OUT (LOCAL-Orientation) and LOCAL & WORLD (POSITION) COORDINATES. (A MUST)

String bones together to create a humanoid skeleton.

• Hierarchy: Correct connection of bones, whereas the (Root) is the Hip/Pelvis bone.
• Move the Hip, the entire character moves.
For use in iClone, Just Skin the CORRECT bones to the mesh! [Smile] Map your bones to the RL bones.
THE ENTIRE MOTION LAYER OPTIONS.... WILL LIGHT UP... IF DONE CORRECTLY!

Intermmediate Rig:

• Create Morph / Blendshapes.
• Add IK and or FK: Inverse or Forward Kinetics, to the bones.
• Import animation to iClone.

Advanced Rig:
"Create a Jason Osipa Style Rig:

• Contruct a UI (User Interface).
• Controll the Bones with the UI. (As Reallusion Does)
• Use Bone-Based Animation WITH Morph / Blendshapes (To achieve SUPERIOR results) [Wink]
• Create (Corrective Morphs / Blendshapes) ONLY 4 needed!
THE ENTIRE MOTION LAYER OPTIONS.... WILL LIGHT UP... IF DONE CORRECTLY!

TIP:
1. Animate the TRACKS.. NOT BONES... To achieve (AUTO LIP-SYNC) [As Reallusion Does) [Wink]
2. Blend.... MOCAP! [Cool]

Kind Regards,
sw00000p [Cool]

Well, for starters, this isn't going to be a fast learning experience for me as I am totally new to this part of the program. I did mess with some 2D stuff and a little playing around with bones in Anime Studio. I have Carrara (just bought a few days ago), and Messiah. I don't like Blender period. And the 2 programs I mentioned I have little to no experience with. [Tongue] So where do I start as far a program choice. Is one better than the other or which one will be easier to learn with? So I start to build a basic skeleton from scratch? Ok. Now which app should I learn first from my choices? I am thinking Carrara...
Thanks,
TS
theschemer
theschemer
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)

I will start my crash course in learning Carrara now so it will take some time to get comfortable with the app. Then I will feel better trying to learn this by focusing on one tool and learn it well. I will report back when I feel like I have a handle on the basics, hopefully soon.
Thanks,
TS
bluemidget666
bluemidget666
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
My 2p worth ..

I hate rigging ! It's just not fun and due to that I've looked for the best solution for some one like me who just wants to get a character with a working bone system into Iclone ... The best I come across is riggify in blender, the plugin is intended to appy a full rig to a character but if all you need in the bone structure then it boils down to just lining up the bones and attaching to the mesh, it's fiddly its in blender but it's the easiest method I have found.

It's very much like messiah but with weight painting.

I got a result after half a day learning , then gave up coz I hate rigging, but if I were to be starting from scratch I think I'd learn how to use riggify.

I Make My Mates Do The CanCan For The Amusement Of Killer RobotsBigGrin
theschemer
theschemer
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

bluemidget666 (7/14/2014)
My 2p worth ..

I hate rigging ! It's just not fun and due to that I've looked for the best solution for some one like me who just wants to get a character with a working bone system into Iclone ... The best I come across is riggify in blender, the plugin is intended to appy a full rig to a character but if all you need in the bone structure then it boils down to just lining up the bones and attaching to the mesh, it's fiddly its in blender but it's the easiest method I have found.

It's very much like messiah but with weight painting.

I got a result after half a day learning , then gave up coz I hate rigging, but if I were to be starting from scratch I think I'd learn how to use riggify.

Hi Blue,
I really hate Blender though. Hehe I know it is powerful but it drives me nuts every time I use it. Even following a tutorial with it if you make one mistake and mess up the 1000 window combinations, you can never get back where you were without starting over. I wish they had a undo button that worked like most apps. Maybe it will get better in the future but I have tried to like it.
TS
bluemidget666
bluemidget666
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)

I agree blender is a pain but the rigging tools are the easiest I've found out side of 3dmax and it's kin.

It's just something you may want to look at if you find messiah or Carrara or even daz studio dnt do it for you.

There are a lot of people on here that find the above program's easy to use and understand , me I never got the hang of em.

Edited
10 Years Ago by bluemidget666
theschemer
theschemer
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Swooop,
I know Miss Wendy as she was the one that recommended Carrara a while back. I didn't buy it until a few days ago though as my head was already spinning from everything else I was learning. I found a place with some good starter info in the form of video tutorials for an older version and they will get me going. I am sure Wendy will be happy to help when I have some questions as she is good about that. She helped me with DAZ a bit already. Smile
Thanks,
TS

p.s. Back to the grindstone. Tongue
theschemer
theschemer
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

bluemidget666 (7/14/2014)
I agree blender is a pain but the rigging tools are the easiest I've found out side of 3dmax and it's kin.

It's just something you may want to look at if you find messiah or Carrara or even daz studio dnt do it for you.

There are a lot of people on here that find the above program's easy to use and understand , me I never got the hang of em.

You are correct, some programs just don't seem as easy to get the hang of as others that do the same thing. Good thing is that there are plenty to choose from. BigGrin I have all 3 of the above apps mentioned so one of them better do it for me! I chose Carrara for the big serious start because it seems that it can be beneficial with DAZ and Poser stuff for future reference. May be able to take advantage somewhere with that...
Thanks,
TS
Grimhilda
Grimhilda
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Stand aside Swoooop, Grimhilda is here!!!

Just joking, of course, we haven't met yet!SmileSmile

(If I come to the rescue with heart-reviving electrodes, then you need to stand clear! Them things are dangerous in the wrong hands!)

But this thread prompted me to create an absolute beginner level demonstration of putting bones into a mesh in Carrara.

I can demonstrate at that level because that isn't too far off the level I'm at with much of Carrara.

I hope it helps theschemer.

Here is the link:

bluemidget666
bluemidget666
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

That's a cool vid , the one thing lacking with Carrara is good rigging tuts.

Grimhilda
Grimhilda
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Thanks, bluemidget666.

I hope I haven't offended swooooop with my brash interruption. He, and you, can laugh at this effort which I already posted of an Iprop figure. It is pathetic and arose from some experiments I was doing. But the video includes a similar Carrara demo of adding bones to a mesh.

A very old book, the Carrara 3 Handbook gives a complete chapter on rigging.

Here is the rubbish video:

Reading This Topic