Iclone 5 best system configuration

Posted By jharvey_20140122133855839 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
bsperan
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
In this post of the "Video Editor Recommendation" thread, colour quotes a response from RL about system requirements:

colour (1/22/2014)
"1. A good graphics card is very important for iClone5. Having a powerful card with plenty of on-board ram will allow you to work with higher resolution textures and handle more objects on screen.

colour (1/22/2014)
"3. We do recommend Nvidia cards but latest AMD cards are still a good choice too. The Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 would be perfect for iClone with a GTX 680 or 760 being a close second.

From this, I'm still not sure how useful it would be to have a video card with 3GB vram, versus one with 2GB. What the devs said does suggest more is better. Though, I'm sure there must be an upper limit or a point where it is not cost effective.

Everything I've read about video card benchmarks and reviews shows that while some of the latest games can take full advantage of 2GB video ram, anything more is often pointless. In some benchmarks it actually reduces performance. It sounds like the only time 3GB or 4GB vram is useful is if you set all of a game's settings on maximum and use some of the highest resolutions and/or use multiple monitors. Even then, the performance boost depends on the game and is not always noticeable.

Depending on your project and the textures you use, can iClone 5 take full advantage of 3GB vram? 4GB? What about iClone 6?
Edited
10 Years Ago by bsperan
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
honestly, I think that's a growing experience for everyone. Considering RL is a small dev team, and it's unlikely they have a machine to test everyone's build, results will vary - and tweaks will be made according to whatever is majority.

I'm using a gtx 460 and I'm not complaining - i'm also doing a virtu-mvp video bridge link thingy with the video chips on my cpu - not sure if that's helping - no real way to measure it other than the system feeling slower when it's off - but that could be a placebo effect for all i know lol

virtu mvp is an interesting 3rd party software that came with my msi board to do this.

Then you have microsoft throwing all these updates in the background that slow your computer down a great deal. If you ever formatted your drive and installed your os from scratch - the difference would be so great - you wouldn't want to update it lol. so imo - microsoft is party to blame as to why we need such high performance stuff for things that shouldn't need that much.

so the best answer to give is - what card should you get ? - the best and fastest, how much ram should it have, the most and the fastest, how fast should your cpu be ? as fast as you can afford - why should you use windows 8.1 ? you shouldn't, it only makes the above list even greater lol. - software / hardware - is a house made of cards!

it's like learning new 3D software - the first lesson is what the software is capable of doing, 2nd lesson is working around all the bugs that prevent you from doing it the way they said it would work on tv! 3rd lesson is looking back and wondering why you got into 3D to begin with. lol

Edited
10 Years Ago by planetstardragon
animagic
animagic
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
There is a screen somewhere in Windows that tells you how much system RAM the GPU uses besides it's own onboard RAM. I have a 1.5GB card and I know it does use additional system RAM as well according to that screen. My own feeling is that 2GB is a good minimum, but that more is not hurting. Up to what size is of course a good question.

What I do remember reading is that there is no advantage in multiple cards and that that may actually slow things down. This may have to do with the fact that the cards have to communicate with each other. Which is another factor of course bus speed: because the card GPU and CPU have to communicate with each other as well.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
well according to virtu mvp - while it works like linked up video cards, it's not - probably faster connection due to it's integrated nature........or not - i still like it for the placebo effect w00t

kdaneja
kdaneja
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (270 reputation)Senior Member (270 reputation)Senior Member (270 reputation)Senior Member (270 reputation)Senior Member (270 reputation)Senior Member (270 reputation)Senior Member (270 reputation)Senior Member (270 reputation)Senior Member (270 reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
We are creating 35 minute fun learning videos which will be sold after being personalized using a 2d photo.

We found that a 1.4 minute clip took 3 hours to render, on a PC with Intel 3, & 4gb ram. At this speed it would take us a week to render 1 episode?w00t

Appreciate advise on how to fix this, we need to render a 35 minute epsiode in not more than 1 hour, what are we doing wrong?

Thanks!

Reading This Topic