Posted By justaviking 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Request the ability to TRANSFORM multiple keyframes at one time

Author
justaviking
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
REQUEST:

• The ability change the Transform values on multiple keyframes at one time.
  • For Translation, Rotation, and Scale
  • Be able to leave any of the nine Transform values unchanged
  • Two modes:
    • Set to a specific value
    • Apply an offset value

WHY:

• Sometimes you end up with a dozen keyframes that all need the same change applied to them.
  • Currently you have to open the timeline, click a keyframe, change the Transform value(s) in the Modify Panel.  Click the second keyframe and change it.  Then the third, fourth, fifth...
  • Very tedious.

A BIT MORE DETIAL:

• Specific value
    • This would be great if you had several keyframes and you wanted them all to be X=72.5
  • Offset value
    • This would be great if you had a curved path (using keyframes, not an actual Path constraint), and you wanted to move several keyframes 5.3 units higher than before, so it takes current value and adds 5.3 to each keyframe's Z value

EXAMPLE 1:

• Imagine an avatar running around in a stadium
  • Then he jumps up onto a stage a two "units" above the ground, runs a bit, and jumps back down to the ground floor
  • Now you realize the stage should be half a unit higher.
  • I would like to be able to select all the "on-stage" keyframes and simply set all those keyframes to a Z=2.5 but leave the X and Y values unchanged

EXAMPLE 2:

• Almost the same as the first example, except...
  • While on stage, he jumps over a chair, so I have a couple keyframes that are higher than the others
  • Now it would be nice to be able to simply add a Z=0.5 OFFSET to all the "on-stage" keyframes, so when the stage (with chair) is higher, all his running and even his jump will be at the correct height for the modified stage.

I may not always be the most efficient, and I know sometimes there are other ways to attack this problem (and I've used at least a couple of them).  But I still think this would be handy.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Dreamcube017
Dreamcube017
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Hm. With the examples, it sounds like you can do this with a path or animation clips. (A run animation and a jump animation linked to a path and you can just move those offsets.

That being said though, being able to modify attributes of multiple keyframes of the same type at once would be REALLY good.

I see an example where you have a bunch of objects and you want to move them around or you have a lot of materials and you want them to all change to a color or something. That'd be useful... although I think even some of this you can do already.

----------------------------------------------------
***BEST OF THE CORE**
:A music reel demonstrating the different types of music I produce for multimedia. Hope everyone enjoys.

Player not working? Use this link.

My other audio work.

Facebook page:

Creation begins at the core.
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
It's true, there are usually multiple ways to solve a problem like this.

For example, even after animating something, you can LINK it to a DUMMY object, and them move the dummy object.  That would actually work rather nicely for my example given.

But it's an indirect solution to the problem.  So I though being able to "fix" the keyframes, rather than working around the situation, would be nice.

That way you also avoid strange, unanticipated behavior later, possibly resulting from combined things that complicate stuff like rotations and scaling.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Reading This Topic