DAZ to 3DX eyelids problem

Posted By theschemer 10 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 2 votes.
Author
Cricky
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Skype ID= learn.iclone

Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
theschemer (6/20/2014)
WooHoo! Thanks Cricky. That worked perfect. BigGrin So is that a known issue? Or did I do something wrong cuz I am a noob? Tongue
Thank you very much,
TS

p.s. If I export the basic Genesis male directly after I open it to Hexagon it shows up like this in Hexagon. See attachment. Is that normal??

Good to know it worked for you.

It isn't an issue actually. It will look exactly like your image from Hexagon in 3dXchange also until it is embedded and then applied in iClone. I just darken the 3 Material base color options (Diffuse/Ambient/and Specular) in iClone to enhance the texture. I set all mine to Black unless it is suppose to be an older character without Melanin production.

Hexagon isn't a fan of TIF images either. It appears DAZ Studio loves them so to speak, as it is the same Eyelashes worn by quite a few of the DAZ based characters.

Bottom line is you didn't do anything wrong, you just didn't know the rules of graphics when it comes to DAZ, Hexagon, 3dXchange and iClone.

You can use that material file on quite a few Avatars, and it can be applied in 3dXchange and iClone, so hold on to it.

SKYPE ID: rc.650

http://city.reallusion.com/store/ModuleExpand.aspx?id=GS634545170497417354&mdid=18866

http://city.reallusion.com/ContentTag.aspx?tagname=Cricky&AuthorID=20081020688550191201#]Reallusion Store Content

" If I had Alzheimer's (Old Timers), would I know it? "
theschemer
theschemer
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
rcsinger29 (6/21/2014)
It it likely that your export options in daz are set to "merge diffuse and opacity".
This merges the maps into a TGA file and 3dx doesn't play well with TGA.

2 options are:
Uncheck merge diffuse and opacity textures-
Click "embed external texture" once inside 3dxchange.

You may want to tweak the brightness and setting slightly for best results.

rcsinger,
Thanks for the info as this was goin to be my next question after I tried Cricky's file. I tried what you said and it worked perfectly. I had to go figure out the embed external texture part but found it. Now I have 2 ways to fix the problem as Cricky's iMtl works too. Smile
TS
theschemer
theschemer
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)

Cricky (6/21/2014)
theschemer (6/20/2014)
WooHoo! Thanks Cricky. That worked perfect. BigGrin So is that a known issue? Or did I do something wrong cuz I am a noob? Tongue
Thank you very much,
TS

p.s. If I export the basic Genesis male directly after I open it to Hexagon it shows up like this in Hexagon. See attachment. Is that normal??

Good to know it worked for you.

It isn't an issue actually. It will look exactly like your image from Hexagon in 3dXchange also until it is embedded and then applied in iClone. I just darken the 3 Material base color options (Diffuse/Ambient/and Specular) in iClone to enhance the texture. I set all mine to Black unless it is suppose to be an older character without Melanin production.

Hexagon isn't a fan of TIF images either. It appears DAZ Studio loves them so to speak, as it is the same Eyelashes worn by quite a few of the DAZ based characters.

Bottom line is you didn't do anything wrong, you just didn't know the rules of graphics when it comes to DAZ, Hexagon, 3dXchange and iClone.

You can use that material file on quite a few Avatars, and it can be applied in 3dXchange and iClone, so hold on to it.

Cricky,
I have safely saved a few copies of that file. Thanks. I tried rcsinger's method and sure enough, that fixes it right from the source and that was going to be my next question too. Tongue So from what you both said, TGA and TIF files can cause the trouble (or one of those anyhow). Now I can move ahead in the DAZ to iClone learning. I am quite new at a few of these apps like DAZ and Hexagon and am trying to learn all of this stuff as it all fits together. Daz seems pretty easy so far but that export thing got me. I was able prior to this to get the clothes on the export. Learning as fast as I can...BigGrin
Thanks again,
TS
rcsinger29
rcsinger29
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
FYI-

Because of the way the software render engine inside DAZ works, materials look much different inside iclone than they do in daz. For this reason, it is beneficial to NOT merge the textures.

You will notice that a daz avatar has a TON of materials. The specular values default to 100 and once inside iclone (doesn't show in quick shader mode) the avatar looks like its a piece of glass.
Since daz has universal sliders in the "surfaces" tab, it is a good idea to adjust the specularity on the base figure (which will effect all mats) to 10 or less and the bump values to 5 or less. This is much easier to do before export than it is once in 3dx or iclone.

Ohh, and also, Genesis 2 has included a "lens" if you will, over the eye as a "reflection" mesh. This will often cause the eyes to be black. If you experience black eyes on Genesis 2, find the "eye reflection" map and simply remove it.

Edited
10 Years Ago by rcsinger29
rcsinger29
rcsinger29
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)

One final thing on this,

You want to embed the textures because if you don't, then they reference from their original location. If the maps ever get deleted or moved to another location, then you will lose your textures on your avatar. It takes up more space, but your textures are safe.

You can also embed them right from daz.

theschemer
theschemer
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

rcsinger29 (6/21/2014)
FYI-

Because of the way the software render engine inside DAZ works, materials look much different inside iclone than they do in daz. For this reason, it is beneficial to NOT merge the textures.

You will notice that a daz avatar has a TON of materials. The specular values default to 100 and once inside iclone (doesn't show in quick shader mode) the avatar looks like its a piece of glass.
Since daz has universal sliders in the "surfaces" tab, it is a good idea to adjust the specularity on the base figure (which will effect all mats) to 10 or less and the bump values to 5 or less. This is much easier to do before export than it is once in 3dx or iclone.

Ohh, and also, Genesis 2 has included a "lens" if you will, over the eye as a "reflection" mesh. This will often cause the eyes to be black. If you experience black eyes on Genesis 2, find the "eye reflection" map and simply remove it.

rcsinger29 (6/21/2014)
One final thing on this,

You want to embed the textures because if you don't, then they reference from their original location. If the maps ever get deleted or moved to another location, then you will lose your textures on your avatar. It takes up more space, but your textures are safe.

You can also embed them right from daz.

Thanks for all the added info. I am taking notes. This will make my use of DAZ figures much easier. Now I have to go buy some clothes for my DAZ characters because I will be able to actually use them. BigGrin
Thanks again,
TS
rcsinger29
rcsinger29
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

On cloths,

It is possible albeit quite labored to use RL cloth on DAZ figures.

If you have MAX or Hexagon, you can export RL upper/lower/shoes meshes, delete the skin, subdivide to a high poly count, and use the transfer utility in daz to "auto-fit" to the genesis character. It takes a lot of trial and error to get them to fit correctly without breakthrough, so much so that I often bail on my efforts and come back to them later. The benefit though is that it greatly increases your "wardrobe closet" as there are tons of material files for a single mesh.

theschemer
theschemer
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

rcsinger29 (6/21/2014)
On cloths,

It is possible albeit quite labored to use RL cloth on DAZ figures.

If you have MAX or Hexagon, you can export RL upper/lower/shoes meshes, delete the skin, subdivide to a high poly count, and use the transfer utility in daz to "auto-fit" to the genesis character. It takes a lot of trial and error to get them to fit correctly without breakthrough, so much so that I often bail on my efforts and come back to them later. The benefit though is that it greatly increases your "wardrobe closet" as there are tons of material files for a single mesh.

I don't have MAX, but I have Hexagon and Silo but am still learning. May be a perfect item to learn with though. Thanks for the info on the possibility of using the iClone clothes. I like saving a few bucks here and there. Wink
TS
rcsinger29
rcsinger29
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Gwynn Lower Relaxed Fit to Daz Genesis.
These are not complete as I still need to tighten the hips and smooth the sides but you get the idea. These are fully animatable with only slight breakthrough in the creases of the legs.

Hexagon is probably better to use because the scale directly transfers to Daz, I am just more familiar with Max

Attachments
Gwynn Relaxed on Daz 2.jpg (597 views, 351.00 KB)
Edited
10 Years Ago by rcsinger29
theschemer
theschemer
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Nice. For my needs, which are fairly simple for now at least, those baggy pants would work for me. Tongue Lots to learn, but learning as fast as I can. I am sure I would love MAX, but my budget would hate me. Hehe
Thanks,
TS

Reading This Topic