poser 2014

Posted By planetstardragon 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
planetstardragon
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Week
Hi Grimhilda,

I'm guessing it's all the new features they added, it's really bad - i'm guaranteed at least one crash per session. My sessions with poser end with one of 2 ways ....either i give up and shut it down or it crashed and I lost a ton of work and gave up. it's the worst feeling too because as is, it gets more sluggish with every move - so things that would normally take me 10 minutes to do in iclone - take me at least 1 hour to do in poser. Especially posing which is extremely ironic. I think it has a very bad memory leak somewhere because you can feel the program get more sluggish by the minute with each button you press.

Smith micro's marketing is genius, considering how incredibly unstable their software is. sculptris alpha was more reliable.

my guess is that their fanbase has greatly decreased, so you wont find many people complaining. People that develop for it, don't use it since they are using things like Autodesk to develop for it. The few people that do use it , seem to be in illustration and enjoy buying premade characters.

on a scale of 1 to 10, i give it a 3. the firefly render is nice, the clothing tools are nice, and it comes with a nice stock library.

Grimhilda
Grimhilda
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Planet, since posting I re-read this whole thread -every page!

You were in advance of me most of the time but now I can understand your findings and experiences much better. The thread constitutes an excellent critique of the software.

I liked how you said you probably wouldn't buy the game-dev version and then, in the next post, announced that you'd bought it!

I wonder whether your Poser is installed in a place which Windows (7 onwards) doesn't like?

Some older software, such as Bryce, used to go somewhere ???? and now it needs to go somewhere else ????

C:\ drive versus 'Program Files' directory, or something like that???

Sorry this is so vague. I can't imagine that something so fundamental would go wrong in your hands if it didn't in mine SmileSmile

The figure I've had best results in shaping and animating is the new-style 'Roxie' character. To me, the figure rivals Daz figures but I haven't learned yet whether this is doomed to be Poser-only. If so, that's fine by me. I'm trying to settle into enjoying what I have because 3D seems to give rise to an insatiable need to get this, buy that, upgrade to the next.

But I DO want it all. BigGrinBigGrin

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

honestly, I believe part of the problem is microsoft updates - they've been issuing updates recently that have impacted all of my software from games to 3D. Then add to that nvidia being adventurous with their updates.

This makes me believe that I can't put all the blame on poser for these issues, but on the same hand, it is their industry, and if the guys at microsoft are constantly making critical changes that affect all media type software ....it's unfortunate but the 3D software developer should be responsible to fixing it.

Smith micro seems to be out of touch on keeping up with these rapid changes.

also, on the upgrade to the game developer, they also offered a super low price for fbx import ...I was very excited at the idea of importing custom characters and applying hair and clothing - but unfortunately their fbx implementation is very poor.

Edited
10 Years Ago by planetstardragon
Grimhilda
Grimhilda
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)

I was over looking at the Daz forums and see you've replied in my absence. All very useful information again because the marketing guys know how to get us all hooked and raise our expectations.

While over there (at DAZ) I read this concerning Hexagon and it expresses what I was trying to say about Poser:

'Installation directory
One caution - do NOT install to Program Files or Program Files (X86)! In Win7 those are write-protected directories, and Hexagon tries to save a number of its components in its home directory when you use it'

That's what I meant above but I'm certain that isn't the problem you will be having because Poser would have installed automatically to the best place designated by Smith Micro.

But perhaps useful general info for other software.
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

yeah, i let the downloader / installer do all the selections - i didn't customize anything.

Grimhilda
Grimhilda
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Well it's way past bed-time here but I just looked at Poser's preferences. Saw nothing relevant but got a notification that a new service release was waiting. Have just downloaded and installed it.

It was dated a few months back so I'm surprised I didn't have it already.

Maybe henceforth I'll have the same issues as You!

Thanks for your replies tonight.

I must sign off now.
wendyluvscatz
wendyluvscatz
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Senior Forum Member

Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Poser works fine for me, is just not my preferred interface and renderer though Octane may change the later like it did for DAZ studio.
I am considering buying the Poser plugin if I buy the Carrara one from Otoy for the 3 seat discount.

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

poser 2014 is a different animal though from what I read - and the game developer adds even more tools.

with some tweaking, it's a beast of a character maker. but that's part of what fuels even more of my view on it....

well for a lack of a better way to say it...poser looks like this to me in it's current state...it's both WOW w00t and wow Ermm!

Edited
Grimhilda
Grimhilda
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Just logging on quickly to say that there is apparently a new Service Release available.

I read it in the DAZ forums.

Regards to all.
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thank you GH Smile

Last update I see is for 8/14 - which was an update they added for all the fixes they included in the Game Developer release, nothing new for the Game Developer release though, I wish...at this point, I'm a bit jaded by the software for all it's crashes - when I do log on it's to "hopefully" pull out a few props and characters, but I really don't stay in it for longer than I absolutely have to be, it's eaten way to much of my time to get me nowhere.

Update - I found the post you were talking about on the daz forum, - it didn't show up on the internal software link heh! http://www.contentparadise.com/productDetails.aspx?id=23836

scratch that - not a game dev update.

double scratch that - it's available through uploader - the cp doesn't recognize the serials. hard to take poser serious at this point to be honest.

Edited

Reading This Topic