3DXchange Pro pipeline questions

Posted By rampart 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
rampart
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
I have been looking to possibly buy the 3DXchange pro pipeline version. I need to get some good ideas on whether it will facilitate what I do.

I make videos mostly for internet presentations, and I use iclone and crazytalk for the most part. I am not a game developer and have no experience developing games. I continuously read about Unity and other graphic tools, but I haven't seen a connection for me as a video producer type user using those softwares.

The 3dxchange is a handy tool for me when I am working with props, characters, etc. to import into iclone. I work with motions, characters, props, etc in the 3dxchange to modify those items for smooth export into iclone.

In other words, iclone is the final destination for what I am using it for.

I have seen 3dxchange videos about export from iclone, into 3dxchange, into DAZ or other graphic programs. However, since iclone is basically the end production tool for my videos is the pipeline version of 3dxchange a positive contribution to my work.

I have also seen some information that graphic files can be edited or modified in the DAZ or other graphic program then imported back through 3DXchange into iclone. This seems like extra work of course, but it may be in some instances this is the workaround necessary for working with different file formats. Hope explained this well enough.

What I am trying to determine is... the pipeline version of 3DXchange a sensible purchase for a video production type use. So far, I've not seen a need for it, but I have always known "it is hard to miss something you have never had".

I would be very interested to read some other thoughts and viewpoints on this topic.

Currently, Sony Vegas is my software of choice for finish work on iclone videos, which saves me an enormous amount of time. The memory management and timeline in Sony Vegas is exceptional, when you compare it to doing the things Vegas well; in a much slower and tedious Iclone timeline.

So yes, if I need it, or it will facilitate my workflow I am interested.

wires
wires
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
My 2 cents worth on the subject.

I have iClone and 3DXchange as my main animation tools. I use the free version of SketchUp 8 to either build my own props or modify props from the Trimble warehouse for conversion in 3DXchange. I also have Gimp, B2M and ShaderMap2 for working on material files.

The only thing that I export from iClone are video files/images for final post in Avid Media Composer.

I do not produce or use any form of Computer game, and I have no requirement to export any item out of iClone for use in any other software. My only requirement is importing items into iClone for my own use, 3DXchange Pro covers this task very well for me.

I can see no reasonable justification to fork out almost $500.00 for a piece of software that will bring me no benefits whatsoever. 3DXchange Pro is able to open and convert a large number of file types produced by a wide range of software products.

The Pipeline version only offers users the added ability to export models from iClone for use in other animation/game software. Not having it in no way prevents me from using iClone for the purpose of producing animated clips to make a film. Not having it has however left $500.00 in my pocket for other purchases.

The rant is now over. Others may add their own input, but my judgement is - based on your posted usage requirements, that you don't need the Pipeline.

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (21H2), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-536.99), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

animagic
animagic
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 40 minutes ago
rampart: I only have the Pipeline because it was on offer at the time. I am also primarily a filmmaker and Vegas user. So iClone is the final stop for me as well. 

The reason I was interested in the Pipeline is that it would allow me to render in another application. Carrara has a very excellent renderer and I did some tests with good results. But, in this is an enormous but, you need an export license for almost everything you want to export, unless you only use the basic iClone content. So that was a nice idea, just not very practical.

So I wouldn't bother with the Pipeline in your case. Pro will do everything you want.

And, every version of iClone has had improved rendering (I started with 1.52), so I look forward to version 6!

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Reading This Topic