CK's bendy thing

Posted By Colonel_Klink 10 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 2 votes.
Author
Colonel_Klink
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (17.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Months Ago
rampa (4/20/2014)
Oooh! branching out with BT. Cool.

I've been giving some thought to your road bed with ditches idea, and also to your earlier idea of a "posable" landscape. Can Max quickly generate huge grids of bones?

I think you could do a non-hierarchical version if needed by extending a bone up from each of the existing bones and weighting your mesh to those. The underlying bone structure would be to just support the "Z" bones. A dense enough lattice of these in a smart layout (hexagonal?) might give you pretty good road bed cut outs for your ditches.

"Posed" by moving the bones:

That looks cool, rampa. The closest I've got to making terrains in Max is using the deform tool and a greyscale heightmap. Having said that, I think it is possible to make terrains so they are pose-able. I think Apparition made ones called Magic Terrains. A bit beyond my skills atm sadly. Still trying to figure out how to have exposed helper objects to move the bones Sad

Never mind though, Bendy Thing is just the result of trying to create some of the props I need for Colour Blind. Having said that it would be cool to have deform-able terrains on the fly inside Iclone. On the other hand there is always a work around for movie making Smile

See all my content in one place
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/a5008f7f-0e1f-4504-bcf8-f262.png
Facebook Page: CWK3D Game and Film Content
Cancer Survivor - Retired Teacher - Geriatric Icloner still learning
Hardware: ZX80; Operating System- ZX80 Basic; CPU - ZX80 @ 3.25 MHz; Memory - 1KB; Hard Drive - N/A; Storage - Cassette; Monitor: Any old CRT TV

Colonel_Klink
Colonel_Klink
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (17.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.1K reputation)

animagic (4/20/2014)
justaviking (4/19/2014)
I tried my hand at creating a terrain in iClone, using the new capabilities that arrived with v5.5, but was disappointed when, even according to the online manual, you get directed to a 3rd party application. I did manage to make something, but the control was limited. My rudimentary (and limited) efforts have helped me appreciate the fine work you're doing.

Viking, terrain creation is not very well-documented, especially the way to make the texture that controls the distribution of the four possible textures over the terrain. I was planning to explain this one of these days, but with Pinhead there is no chance at the moment...Crying

The simple explaination is that each of the red, green, and blue channels controls a texture with black controlling the default texture. However, you need to do a complicated conversion to get the control texture into Earth Sculptor-compatible format.

When I was experimented I wondered why the icon of the control texture showed black, red, blue, and green areas in iClone, but when you load that actual texture in a graphicseditor, it looks almost transparant.So that's when I started researching.

Back on topic: great progress with the roads, CK! And the terrain is indeed good-looking.

Viking, here is a series of tutorials I have followed:
This for the traditional Earthsculptor method. The problem with this method is Iclone makes the textures look washed out, but large sized terrains can be made. you need the Earthsculptor the exporter for this or 3DX to convert obj files into Iclone iprop format to convert within Iclone.

http://www.reallusion.com/iclone/Help/EarthSculptor/index.htm

The following video is what i followed to make the terrain above using Earthsculptor and the new terrain features in Iclone 5.5. The terrain took a bit of tweaking getting the textures to look good.. One good thing is this method maps better onto cliffs etc with no stretched textures. I have a tendency to create micro scenes for close ups, eg. with finer detail. However you are limited to the size of your terrain using this feature. The tutorials at the top allow for much bigger terrains.

Hardware: ZX80; Operating System- ZX80 Basic; CPU - ZX80 @ 3.25 MHz; Memory - 1KB; Hard Drive - N/A; Storage - Cassette; Monitor: Any old CRT TV

Edited
10 Years Ago by Colonel_Klink
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 37 minutes ago
I don't know Max at all. That picture is from Misfit Model 3D.BigGrin
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
@Animagic, CK, Rampa...

Thanks for the encouragement.

I bravely started making a terrain, based on the new capability available as of iClone 5.5.  But I sort of revolted when I got to the part about needing another application (Earth Sculptor) to do it right.  I had just bought a bunch of content packs, and wasn't in the mood to spend more money on iClone right then, nor did I really want to embark upon a large learning curve.

I suffer from this dual personality.  I could so easily immerse myself into the creation of a terrain, or a prop, or setting up the lighting of a scene.  I'd love to do that.  But I also want to tell a story.  So I have to decide, would I rather do the "supporting" work, or present my story.  It's a difficult decision at times.

I have decided to defer my terrain work.  I got far enough to make one that will help me tell my story.  Maybe some time this summer I'll learn more about it.  Maybe I'll put Earth Sculptor on my Father's Day wish list.

iClone?  I need a "me-Clone!!!"  A few of me would be grand.  One for blender, one for texturing, one for lighting, one for terrain, one for post-iClone editing...  oh yeah, having more of me would not only be useful, but I'm sure it would make the world would b a much better place.  Wink

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Edited
10 Years Ago by justaviking
rampart
rampart
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
I have a project coming up for explaining about the DNA - double Helix. Is something like possible? The bendable thing is very close.

The outer rungs of the ladder are one color and the steps have 4 colors with 2 colors in each step. The 4 colors are the T A G C. (Thymine, Adenine, Guanine and Cytosine).

http://sambells.info/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/images.jpeg

There are plenty of still pics available, but the best models have copyright protections.

Edited
10 Years Ago by rampart
Colonel_Klink
Colonel_Klink
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

rampart (4/21/2014)
I have a project coming up for explaining about the DNA - double Helix. Is something like possible? The bendable thing is very close.

The outer rungs of the ladder are one color and the steps have 4 colors with 2 colors in each step. The 4 colors are the T A G C. (Thymine, Adenine, Guanine and Cytosine).

http://sambells.info/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/images.jpeg

There are plenty of still pics available, but the best models have copyright protections.

Hi rampart. Interesting idea. I will have a look at it this week.
Cheers
Bob

theschemer
theschemer
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Hey Bob,
The roads are looking great. The water looks great too. Are these ever gonna make it where we can use them, like in the content store? Tongue And thanks for the free magic carpet. It may come in handy.
theschemer
Colonel_Klink
Colonel_Klink
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

theschemer (4/22/2014)
Hey Bob,
The roads are looking great. The water looks great too. Are these ever gonna make it where we can use them, like in the content store? Tongue And thanks for the free magic carpet. It may come in handy.
theschemer

Yes they will be available as soon as I get the bugs ironed out of them. The river is just about good to go, but the road system is still under development.

Cheers
Bob

Colonel_Klink
Colonel_Klink
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Bendy Thing Flexi River ipack has been released.

The pack comprises two flexi river props (simple, 30 bones for canals etc that have few twists and turns; and Maxi, 90 bones to pose rivers that do twist and wind), 1 demo terrain with a river, and 2 imaterials that require animated video river textures (separate download for these)

Flexi River is a bone structured prop that can be posed to follow a river, stream, or canal on an Iclone terrain. Access to the prop is via the Edit Animation Layer function in Iclone and simply moving the bones with the Move tool. A tutorial is being created and will be available to users soon.

The river texture animations are 35 seconds long. Looping longer has not been tested. The textures can be altered through the material functions. As can colour.

This release is not final, as there will be improvements to the props as time goes by. Having said that the props do work okay and will be used as is in scenes in Colour Blind.

Enhancement and improvement suggestions are welcome.

Bendy Thing: Flexi River ipack available Here

Reading This Topic