Kinect SDK & Driver Options Explained

Posted By Peter (RL) 12 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
planetstardragon
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Week
I agree with mike,

If i borrowed your pencil and wrote a hit song, the song is mine, the pencil is yours.

Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 4 hours ago
planetstardragon (3/5/2012)
I agree with mike,

If i borrowed your pencil and wrote a hit song, the song is mine, the pencil is yours.

True but if that pencil came with a clear license agreement that stated you could not use it to make money commercially and you did, then you would be in breach of the license agreement. Wink

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Apparition (3/5/2012)
It is like music. I've done quite a few songs using demo software to try it. They ended up being so good, I sold them for a commercial work!

No complaints whatsoever! It is a fair conclusion.

No complaints? But did you notifiy the makers of the demo software and inform them that you were making money from their demo software? They may have had a different opinion then.

Having no complaints because no one found out does not make it a legal action.

EULA's are there for a reason and while we may not like all the restrictions they bring it is in the best interest of the user to abide by them.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

@peter it then becomes a game of semantics - the software wasn't used to make money, i did not offer people to come over to pay for my services to take their mocap. The software was used to create a file. The file made money. - not challenging you per se' all these years working with the business guys in music just showed me how both sides think.

in a technical sense - ms owns the product that translates data, it does not own the data it outputs. if the data were ported to bvh, ms does not own the bvh tag or it's copyright. If a language translator demo taught me how to say yes in french, it could not restrict my right to say yes in french there after - but it can restrict my right in opening a shop that translates words for other people for a fee.

in a neutral view, the motion capture system should have never allowed the output of files if we couldn't do as we please with our ideas in our files.

in a real - street - ghetto view- you should have never made it so easy for me and tempted me lol.

besides, me personally i keyframe everything -halo over head- Wink

Edt - I think they put that there for the major game /movie maker corporations that set up hundreds of stations using betaware, and make millions without any intention to compensate microsoft. - it's worth sending feds to a labor factory under paying and over working employees and using every free software they can get. Its those guys that cause these blanket restrictions imo.

in that perspective, I say thank you microsoft for allowing out put to the little guys - they could have made it a proprietary format that would cost thousands of dollars to unlock, and cut us out.

Edited
12 Years Ago by planetstardragon
moviemachine
moviemachine
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
Microsoft is the fool in foolishness.

Basically their SDK is a recording device.
What an absurd precedent lurks behind those Gates.

Won't be long before anything you compose or create on anything including word processors is in violation (after all a word processor allowed you to cut & paste!) Wink

Oh and that next video camera or dvd burner you buy will probably only allow you to playback your footage or creations on days under a full moon and those days must fall on Feb 30th HeheHeheHehe Oh and the playback must only be in your living room, bedrooms and kitchens are in violation due to potential risk of sex & violence!
Also having 2 or more lights turned on in your home at the same time when viewing footage is in flagrant violation of section A of the "let's have a look clause" in the EULA

Seriously though, software makers are within their right to pin any absurd limitations they dream up. Oh and once the TSA gets wind of things... ya won't be able to fire up your puter without an pat down!

Methinks that Microsoft in the head which usually is the Johnny come lately to the parties after the "real" innovators have paved the road with their creativity is attempting to muscle & herd away the supporters.

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

true story - facebook actually took out a trademark on "book"

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/03/facebook-book-trademark/

How many Microsoft engineers does it take to change a light bulb?

A: None, they merely change the standard to darkness and then they upgrade the customers.

animagic
animagic
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Fortunately, the Kinect didn't come from Apple... It would have been iKinect and completely closed. So, thank you, MS...

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Reading This Topic