*NEW* G5 Developer Resources

Posted By Peter (RL) 13 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Peter (RL)
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 5 hours ago
Now some news you've all been waiting for! Today is a big launch date for everyone who's interested in developing content for iClone. We have 3 new developer content launches to announce today! So here they are:

G5 Character Whitepaper

This is the first G5 Character Whitepaper, and gives you a lot of insight into the make-up of the new G5 characters in iClone 5. Be sure to check out the detailed instructions enclosed to find out how you can create and customize your own unique characters for your own use, or for sale in our marketplaces!

G5 Character 3DS Max Templates

We are providing the first two 3DS Max character templates for our new G5 characters, Chuck and Gwynn. Use these templates as a base from which to design your own specialized characters. The new G5 specifications have the potential for a whole new level of customization.

3DS Max 2011 Plug-in for iClone 5

This is the newest release of our 3DS Max plug-in, made specifically for use with iClone 5. There are constant improvements ongoing to increase compatibility options with all of our plug-ins, so make sure you stay tuned for future releases.

Thanks to all our developers for your patience and input in the development of a better product! We hope these new releases will give you the right tools you need to make your next project shine, and the inspiration to create even more awesome iClone content!

Check out the Developer Resource Center to get your goodies, but make sure you're logged in. These resources will only be available to CCDs for the time being:

Developer Resource Center

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Thank you! Smile

Dreamcube017
Dreamcube017
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
THER we go! Thanks!!

----------------------------------------------------
***BEST OF THE CORE**
:A music reel demonstrating the different types of music I produce for multimedia. Hope everyone enjoys.

Player not working? Use this link.

My other audio work.

Facebook page:

Creation begins at the core.
NikolaTesla
NikolaTesla
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (232 reputation)Junior Member (232 reputation)Junior Member (232 reputation)Junior Member (232 reputation)Junior Member (232 reputation)Junior Member (232 reputation)Junior Member (232 reputation)Junior Member (232 reputation)Junior Member (232 reputation)

Last Active: 10 Years Ago
Hi!
Super!!!
New possibilities, new look at iClone
Dreamcube017
Dreamcube017
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Hmm... so this plugin doesn't work with the 64 bit version of 3DS 2012 then... fish sticks.

----------------------------------------------------
***BEST OF THE CORE**
:A music reel demonstrating the different types of music I produce for multimedia. Hope everyone enjoys.

Player not working? Use this link.

My other audio work.

Facebook page:

Creation begins at the core.
majorlance
majorlance
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (990 reputation)Veteran Member (990 reputation)Veteran Member (990 reputation)Veteran Member (990 reputation)Veteran Member (990 reputation)Veteran Member (990 reputation)Veteran Member (990 reputation)Veteran Member (990 reputation)Veteran Member (990 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Dreamcube you're bursting my bubble! I was just surfing the forums about 3dx5 and the facial animation/lip synch which I am interested in for the DAZ and sketchup characters, etc. The thought struck me that I just got 3DS Max (finished my first two tutorials last week) and thought that with 3DX and 3DS Max I could have the facial animation + lip synch that way through the developer resource...but my 3ds max is the 64 bit 2012 version also.

So am I right that my version of 3ds max is a no go on this at the moment?

Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)

I was wondering, why are the Developer Resource Templates provided as 3DS MAX files?

While many of the professional RL members may use 3DS Max, the 3DS Max format is fairly proprietary with very few software packages - especially free packages - supporting it. For example, even 3DXChange does not support 3DS Max format (it supports the older "3DS" format but not "3DS Max".

It would seem to me that it would be more beneficial to provide the Developer Resource Templates as OBJ or FBX files which are not only supported by 3DXChange but also by many other software packages - including free ones.

Or if there is some advantage to using the 3DS Max files, why not provide both (3DS Max and OBJ)?

Just wondering if there is a reason for the 3DS MAX choice. 

"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best, but they only have the right to bear arms while we have the right to bare breasts"
Bowser and Blue, Busting The Breast
animagic
animagic
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
The main reason, especially at the time (2010 and before), was that development of RL content was done primarily in 3DMax (and probably still is). Also, the only way to get things in and out of iClone was using a 3DMax plugin. It is still more solid than using FBX, although the plugin has not been updated in a while. There was also a Maya plugin, but I believe that didn't work very well.

FBX is not an open format and support is problematic among 3D packages according to various reports on the forum.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

vidi
vidi
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Well since Generation CC it is all obsolete anyway.
You know ? Instead of updating a Max Plugin,  has RL created Exchange for the rest of us
Also with the upcoming CC Update it will close the last gap for all developer.  Smile

-------------------------------------------------------------------
liebe Grüße vidi

Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)

animagic (5/19/2016)
FBX is not an open format and support is problematic among 3D packages according to various reports on the forum.

FBX is more readily available than 3DS MAX. Many software like DAZ Studio and Blender support FBX but almost nothing (free) supports MAX. FBX also has a BINARY and ASCII version of the file format so that, when stored as ASCII, it is human readable. As far as I know, MAX is always binary encoded making it almost impossible to reverse engineer.

My point was, it is in RL's best interest to have Resource Developer with the right tools so that they can make more content, sell it in the RL Marketplace from which RL gets a cut of the revenue. As such I would suggest that such templates be distributed in as many formats as possible. Or, more to the point, formats that can also be used by free 3D editing software. Especially if MAX is being used for RL development, it should take only a few minutes to export those files as FBX and/or OBJ (an even more common format although it does not have support for animation). The additional storage for providing the files in alternate formats would be minimal.

There was mention that the architecture is now going to CC characters. I am not sure if this was a point for or against the issue. In my opinion, once we get CC 1.5 where we will be able to make custom CC meshes, provision of some templates may again be done. So it would be nice if we could get them in both MAX and FBX (or MAX and OBJ if they are static).

To tell you the truth, I am not exactly sure what the G5 Templates provide. It seems like they have a bunch of textures and then a MAX file. So I am assuming they contain a G5 character with textures. How is this different from exporting a G5 character out using 3DXchange? Can anyone clue us non-MAX users as to what the templates actually give us?

"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best, but they only have the right to bear arms while we have the right to bare breasts"
Bowser and Blue, Busting The Breast

Reading This Topic