BIGBOSS SIGGRAPH 2011 DIARY

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic89586.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Bigboss - 13 Years Ago
Hello everybody...Smile

Well, I am on my way to SIGGRAPH Vancouver and also towards my first opportunity to meet some of you as well as Reallusion Staff in person ... Smile

I look forward to this event and I will try to summarize to the best I can the highlights of the show throughout the week in this thread.

For those who will meet me at the show, I have brought with ne a truckload of goodies for you in my suitcase ... Smile

I sincerily hope to meet as many icloner's as I can.

Cheers!

By Capemedia - 13 Years Ago
Have a great time, wish I was there but it was never going to happen Smile
By aknzrdude - 13 Years Ago
Will see you there Guy ! Sitting right now at the convention center lots of technical sessions
Hi Gabe, I took an evening walk around the convention centre looking for familiar faces...then had a beer at the waterfront. I will see you tomorrow on the floor.

Too bad cape could not make it...Smile

I look forward to this Smile

Cheers!

By Rampa - 13 Years Ago
Sounds like fun. Thanks for posting for us.Smile
By colour - 13 Years Ago
You Guy(s)Wink & Gals? Behave yourselvesWink

Looking forward to hearing of the sheenanigansWink & seeing Posted Pics? 

By Dulci - 13 Years Ago
More updates - and pictures!!! Smile
Oups, the pressure is high and the floor opens in 1 hours Smile

Keep posted... BigGrin

By Alley - 13 Years Ago
Looking forward to your updates - Smile
SIGGRAPH HIGHLIGHTS 9 AUG 2011

DISCUSSION WITH REALLUSOIN jAMES MARTIN & ICLONE 5 DEMO

Cap'tains Report here... 9/08/2011

First day at the convention was quite fruitful. Akznrdude and I met with John Martin from Reallusion. Yes! He does exist and is actually a very nice person Smile

The proof is in the pudding to Gabe gracefully took a few Pics for you to enjoy Wink These will be uploaded later this evening...

Ok let's start with a few bits and pieces of what we could dig into during our first exposure to IC5...

IC5 MOTION CAPTURE WITH KINECT STANDALONE CAMERA.

The REALLUSION boot was setup with a standalone Kinect Cam (about 150$) and one iC5 average Laptop, the kind of limited power laptop given to most Marketeers BigGrin

The first step you do with this system is to go into a calibration mode for the camera.

The motion capture is activated from the "Device Mocap" button that is under the Character Animation Motion Tab with other controls for "Motion Puppet" and "Direct Puppet" buttons. I will speak about those two other buttons later.

Once the calibration mode is activated, there is a skeleton displayed in the iClone Viewport with an overlayed shadow that represents how the camera captures your body shape when you are standing in the motion capture zone. Simply step backwards until your shadow matches the skeleton and then the calibration is complete. This step is quite easy to do and takes about 30 seconds.

From then on, you can move your arms, legs and body anywhere within an area that represents about a 10 foot diameter circle and preview or record your animation segment. The performance was quite impressive. Motion capture works for arms, legs and body. the Head and hands are excluded from this capture but can be animated separately.

Geneally speaking, the system performed quite well but may display some jagginess for very fast movements or 360 like rotations. In any case, the system is very good for capturing everyday movements. I asked Akznrdude to do a backflip but we were not able to complete it during our testing ! Smile

More to come...

THE MOTION PUPPET FEATURE

The motion puppet feature is activated using the new "Motion Puppet" button available from the Character Motion panel. IC5 comes with a series of preset scripts representing standard human IK motions LOOPS presets such as for Running or Walking toon style etc. The analogy of these Scripts would probably be the Crazytalk CTS scripts for facial animation but these new scripts are for Body animation.

So you can apply these motion loop scripts to a character Body and then use sliders in the Motion Puppet Panel to adjust the different parameters of the actual motion cycle. Using this feature, you can give an entire new style to your character walk or run etc... Once you have fine-tuned your character motion script, you can save your work as a new script for later use.

The typical use of this feature would be to accentuate the walk motion of a Toon character.

This feature will provide great time saving to the task of animating your character and also give you the ability to stylize your character moves.

THE DIRECT PUPPET FEATURE

The DIRECT Puppet feature is also activated using the new "Direct Puppet" button available from the Character Motion panel. the simplest way to describe this feature is to compare it to the current IC4 Facial Animation Puppetry. The Direct Puppet feature is to the body what the Facial Animation Puppetry is to the face.

When you activate this feature, you have a side panel representing a Human Body with nodes and IK constraints. You can activate or lock nodes from the Ik Chain and then animate the remaining skeleton parts by moving your mouse much in the same way as you would to do facial Animation by locking and activating certain parts of the face and then aminating the face using your mouse..

A sample use of this feature would be to have a character sitting in an electric chair, you would lock hands and feet from moving as they are chained to the chair, activate the other body nodes of the IK chain and then, vibrate your mouse to simulate the body going into heavy convulsion during the electric shock scene.

Quite effective !

HUMAN IK WITH RANGE TARGETS.

This feature is an absolute killer! The Human IK part of the feature keeps your body parts together using Human inverse kinematic constraints and the range target part of the feature lets you define the range target Prop for a given body part.

For instance, you can create an animated bicycle Prop with spinning wheels and rotating Pedal gear, sit an iClone character on the Bike. Apply a range target constaint on each foot to have each foot locked to its respective pedal gear. When you activate the bicycle animation of rotating pedal gear, the character legs will follow the rotative motion of the pedal gear driving the motion of each foot via its range target constraint, i.e. the character will appear to be pedalling the bicycle along a path.

BETTER ROTATE GIZMO.

in IC5, when you select a character and activate the Rotate Gizmo, you can now simultaneously apply rotations on all 3 axis at the same time by cliking in the center of the proper handle and moving the mouse around. Because the character has a better IK chained constrained skeleton, moving the mouse around will give the sensation of Ragdoll physics applied to the character.

By Rampa - 13 Years Ago
ere you able to play with having the character walk on different terrains/surfaces? Were the footsteps convincing?

Thanks for your report!
POST EFFECTS.

Well, you all saw the Ambient Occlusion Demonstration Video... But the killer app is going to be the arrival of the new "Toon Shadow" and "NPR" effects which i will gently baptize "THE PAUMANOK SUITE" for the purpose of this forum !!! BigGrin

Toon shadow will give a toonish like rendering by accentuating the edges and applying toon like color filters while the NPR effect will give a Sketchy output, much like the kind of outputs what Paumanok has been so diligently pioneering. Wink

These simple to use effect are all paramerized and can be adjusted to your liking but generally speaking, they allow for the artist to generate an entirely new animation rendering style upon a push of a single button, much like the effects and filters you fnd in Photoshop except these apply to the overall rendered video output. 

Quite Impressive !

To Rampa:

I was not able to play in different terrain but my understanding of the feature is that it allows the user to apply IK effects to existing motion segments to give them another style.

So for instance, you already have a walk motion segment for a character and you use the Motion Puppet feature to modify the overall walk motion by changing the weight of the different nodes in the IK chain of the skeleton. An example of this is that you can change a normal human walk cycle into a Toon like walk cycle or create a limping character walk etc. but you raise a good point and I will try to more information on this feature ...

By Rampa - 13 Years Ago
Thanks BigBoss. Its been the issues with walking that have kept me from fully embracing iClone. (I have preferred the Moviestorm walking because of its "non-slip" qualities.) If the walks are convincing, it seals the deal with iclone and myself, because everything else is as good or better or simply non-existent in Moviestorm. Looking forward to more!
By Alley - 13 Years Ago
Thanks for the detailed updates - looking forward to aknzrdude's pictures of you all. Smile
THE MEDIA TAB

IC5 has a new MEDIA TAB which lets you see your Movies and Pictures, and Audio assets directly from the Scene management Panel (which was no the case in iC4). In the preferences panel, you can set a checkbox to tell iClone whether you want it to make a copy of those files or just manage a then with a link.

Smile

it was great to see Guy as well as John Martin and Ricky Grove - learned about some really new cool things coming up with iClone 5 - got to play a little with mocap and motion editing. In addtiona to what Guy point out

The animation section now has three options

1) motion puppet - this is for looping motion - i.e. someone walking or running, you can adjsut a variety of things including swaying of arms, hips, shoulders, elbow height, stride etc.. and you can then record a looping motion for however long you need

2) Direct puppet - this is similar to director mode where you can grab a body part and move it around while recording -

3) mocap design where it uses Kinect to directly capture the motion and is reflected real time to the avatar in the work stage

there is also a mixMoves buttong which allows you smoothly blend two separate motion files

and the best part is a new motion editor that supports layers - i.e. each body part can be edited and keyframes separately. I tested this using mocap and jumping into one frame and changed the hand position - worked great!

By tylerzambori - 13 Years Ago
Very exciting stuff! Thanks for the photos aknzrdude!
a few more shots - my tablet is not the best camera for this environment and lighting - but here's John and BigBoss

and here's Cory Doctorow - sci-fi writer, co founder of Boing Boing - and machinima supporter - his short stories green lighted for machinima

To rampa:

In iClone, there are 2 ways of animating a character. One is to tell the character to move in a given direction. This is when you get sliding feet. The other mode is to drag and drop a motion file onto the character in which case there are generally no sliding feet as long  consecutive motion files are cut at the right character position, i.e, the character starts from the same general posture between motion segments.

Hope this helps.

Cheers! 

By Rampa - 13 Years Ago
Thanks. I did discover that. I found that I could edit the speed for the start and stop of the walk cycle in the AML editor as well. This helped considerably. I spent some time creating my own walks, so I am glad to here there is a walk editor. I am especially interested in how the puppets do on stairs and uneven terrain with HumanIK.

Mostly, its just nice when things are easy and seamless, so i can just make my story. I never mange to post up videos of my work because I live way out in the boonies where I only have dial-up. Nearest broadband is 2 hours away.
By Cellygon - 13 Years Ago
Wow, Thanks for sharing! that was all a great read. Wish I was there. haha
oh and I gotta share the T Shirt i had made

Thanks for sharing Smile
By BiggsTrek - 13 Years Ago
aknzrdude (8/9/2011)
oh and I gotta share the T Shirt i had made

Oooo! I like that!!

BigGrin
By thebiz.movies - 13 Years Ago
Interesting to note that the kinect capture doesn't account for head movements. Thanks for blogging (or diarying...or foruming or whatever). Any more? Perhaps the physics?
PHYSICS:

Mass, bounciness and other physics properties such as if the prop transfer mass or not etc can be applied to Props. These properties are saved with the Prop and IC5 also comes with a series of presets that you can use and apply to existing props such as those settings for a Bouncing ball or a falling apple etc.

It is unclear at the moment if those Physics properties are part of the Dramascript for the prop or not. That would be interesting Smile

But the most exciting thing was a new button on the toolbar to multiply objects. This button does not work for characters but it works for Props and also Props with Physics properties. This is different than copying a new instance of a prop, the group of objects you just created has its own physics properties. This is how you make a pile of barrels that get hit by a Car kind of thing...

The physics allow you to define a set of parameters such as elasticity, mass, and others i can't remember off the top of my head - to an object and also let you define how to make it react with another object - some options are kinetic which lets it interact with another object, frozen which keeps it static

you can for example assign attributes to a sphere, increase its elasticity for example or apply one of the presets - i.e. rubber - and once you put a floor (which also can be assigned gravity), the ball drops and bounces like a rubber ball. You can then change the parameters, reduce the elasticity and it bounces like an apple. you can make an object static like a trash can sitting on a floor and when another object like a car hits it - it bounces off the car and onto other objects. I didn't see it but it looks like there is also a velocity setting for objects in motion to increase/decrease collision force

there is also a new set of controls that let's you create instances of this object - just plug in the number of objects you want and it will automatically be created for you - yes big time saver here

will be drilling down more on this today
By duchess110 - 13 Years Ago
Thanks Gabe and Guy for taking time out on your trip to tell us folks back home all the facts as you see them really appreciated.

From what I have seen in the iC5 demo vids and what you two are saying I just cant wait to try everything out.

Only downside is there is such a lot more to learn.BigGrinBigGrin JokingTongue

By Sen - 13 Years Ago
Hi ,

very exciting , thanks Gab and Guy Wink .
By Keith_MPS - 13 Years Ago
Can someone find out if the interface windows are detachable? In iClone4 we can detach the timeline - which is great - but I'd also really, really like to be able to detach the preview window.
By mark - 13 Years Ago
WOW oh WOWBigGrin Thanks guys for sharing all this iClone goodnessTongue

It's almost like being there 'cept for the sore feet BigGrin
Keith thy are dockable as well as undockable so great for multi monitors

gnasche (8/10/2011)
Can someone find out if the interface windows are detachable? In iClone4 we can detach the timeline - which is great - but I'd also really, really like to be able to detach the preview window.
By Keith_MPS - 13 Years Ago
aknzrdude (8/10/2011)
Keith thy are dockable as well as undockable so great for multi monitors

Fantastic. I have two monitors and end up using just one with iClone4. It'll be much better with undockable windows.
SMALL CORRECTION ABOUT THE MOTION PUPPET FEATURE:

The actual Motion puppet feature with sliders to adjust some of the motion parameters works on Clips provided with iC5, that is, you apply a Motion Puppet Clip to your character, e.g. Toon Walk or Talk and then you can adjust certain parameters to give the motion some specific behavior style.  Smile

Currently, there are a few clips beingSmile demonstrated but we are told that the final version will have a lot more.

Also, althoug not demonstrated, I am led to believe that there will eventually be some Motion Pupet for props ? w00t

REFLECTION INTO A MIRROR !!!

Well, you will be very happy to ear that you can now have a real high resolution Reflection on a surface if you apply it a Mirror type material Smile !!!

By Rampa - 13 Years Ago
Did you get a chance to see how many base motions are in their library? I wonder if we can make more with the "Collect Clip" feature in the timeline?

Your coverage rocks! We're so glad you are doing it.Smile
To Rampa:

They have quite a few already but It is not yet finalized as to how many there will be in the Final release. For sure, you can apply a Motion Puppet Clip ot a character and then fine tune it to your liking and save the Clip as a new instance for later use. Also, I assume that if you Collect the recorded motion segment from the timeline, you will be able to save the end result as a new "baked" motion segment.  

MOTION LAYERS:

This is a completely new feature added to the timeline editor. Key frames for RFingers, LFingers, ARMS, Torso, Legs, and Head are save ON A DIFFERENT timeline layer so you can refine them and do some fine tuning on them without affecting the keyframes of other body parts. !!!

This is a very big PLUS for refining motions!

PICTURE ON PICTURE:

You can now have a separate camera in the Viewport, i.e. Picture-on-Picture feature.

For instance, you can have a 1/4 size view of camera01 active in a corner of your Viewport while you position your assets with the Preview camera active for the remaining of the Viewport. This second viewpoint does not get rendered in your final output.  

By Dulci - 13 Years Ago
Bigboss (8/10/2011)
MOTION LAYERS:

This is a completely new feature added to the timeline editor. Key frames for RFingers, LFingers, ARMS, Torso, Legs, and Head are save ON A DIFFERENT timeline layer so you can refine them and do some fine tuning on without affecting other body parts. !!!

This is a very big PLUS for refining motions!

Oh, I like that--- I have messed up so many animations by going back in for just one more tweak. This will save me some heartache!

Hoping to get you & Gabe on the Wolf & Dulci podcast SOON to discuss your Siggraph experiences!
MORE ON DIRECT PUPPET FEATURE:

If you remember, the direct Puppet Feature is to the Body what the Facial Animation Puppetry is to the face.

This Feature is part of the Edit Motion Layer panel. It has a Pose and a Reach Target TAB and each tab has some interesting checkboxes and radio buttons you can activate or select.

Among other things,

1) There is a Mirror Check Box (self explanatory)

2) There are Single & Screen Mode radio buttons ( I am not sure but I assume that in single mode, all is hidden in the viewport except the Character you apply puppetry on).

3) There are 2 Keying Mode checkboxes: "Body Parts" and "Full Body" . For instance, if you are in full body mode and you pull the hands of the puppet toward the floor, the legs will bend. If you are in Body Parts Only mode, then the legs wont bend.

4) You can also enable/disable whether transformation and/or rotations are keyed by activating the Move or Rotate checkboxes.

HAND & FOOT CONTACT CHECKBOXES FOR AVATARS

There are 2 new Hand & Foot Contact checkboxes that you can activate for Avatars. The status of these will impact how the IK works when animating the avatar.

e.g. If the hand contact is set and you are moving a character that has both hands on a table prop, the IK model will try to keep both hands in contact with the table at all times. 

The IK model  also take into account the Toes section of the skeleton, so if you are in the edit motion layer editor and try to pull the leg down towards the ground, if the Toe section is the first body part to hit the ground, it will bend to some extent until the entire foot is actually completely rested on the floor. 

That's about it for now. All I can say from what we have seen so far is that iClone 5 is a MAJOR RELEASE with lots of goodies well worth the upgrade Smile

Cheers@!

A couple more pictures for you

Here's the Kinect calibration scene - basically you would assume the position in front of the camera and in about 30 seconds or less it calibrates the rigging

here's the new camera gizmo - it comes with guides so you can more accurately position the convergence point (for 3D), know where the clipping planes are

here's picture in picture - essentially another viewport so you can see your stage from a different camera angle

so you know about the motion puppet, and now there is also a prop puppet

here's a shot of the Edit Motion Layer timeline showing the various body parts you can keyframe

and finally how about a mirror object

By thebiz.movies - 13 Years Ago
Its interesting how similar much of this functionality is to CTA (ie the body part transform, the puppeteering, the overall layout and the ability to close timeline features with an "X" - yeah!). Thanks for the screens Gabe. That electric chair scene looks very impressive. The camera gizmo should be usefull for setting up shots faster (especially using dof)
By colour - 13 Years Ago
I think even I, might be able get my head-around all this new stuff - EvenytuallyErmm. But don't count on it.Wink

Many thanks Both, for Posting the encouraging detail.

I suppose, after all this hard work - It's off to sample the local hostelries?Wink 

By animagic - 13 Years Ago
Thanks for keeping us up-to-date. It seems we finally have a real mirror!
By Paumanok West - 13 Years Ago
colour (8/11/2011)
I think even I, might be ableget my head-around all this new stuff - EvenytuallyErmm. But don't count on it.Wink

I have complete confidence in both Reallusion and you. Fasten your seatbeats--it will be fun! Tongue
i as on a quest to sample the mobile restaurants and a what a variety in downtown vancouver

colour (8/11/2011)
I think even I, might be ableget my head-around all this new stuff - EvenytuallyErmm. But don't count on it.Wink

Many thanks Both,for Posting the encouraging detail.

I suppose, after all this hard work - It's off to sample the local hostelries?Wink
Amazing guys thanks for posting your views and images Smile
It was a pleasure for us to provide this information and mostly pleasant to see that there was a lot of interest from the community.  

After a good week of hard labor, good wine and heavy meals, I am on my way back home to start a Diet Sad

Cheers!

By JMartin - 13 Years Ago
Hello all! Great to see Animatechnica (Gabe), BigBoss (Guy) and Ricky Grove all at the booth. This was my 10th SIGGRAPH and I'm happy to say that Reallusion is on the frontier as srtong as we were in 2001 when we first exhibited. iClone5 is turning some big heads! What I love the most about that? YOU already know why heads are turning Smile I had a great conversation with Ricky and Gabe over dinner about the strength of a product is really in it's following and internal community support. I'll forego with any modesty and say that no product in our ecosystem can match the cleverness, helpfulness or imagination of the Reallusion community. It's the reason we keep driving iClone and CrazyTalk forward. For you... (well, for us too... we're also excited just like you to see our tools grow.) The ideas for features you give are at the front of the line. Paumanok, I'm talking to you Smile Really, it's your passion that feeds ours. Your movies that inspire us. You keep pushing us and we'll keep pushing the tools. BIG thanks to BigBoss and AnimaTechnica for relaying the features and photos from our talks at SIGGRAPH! For those of you that are in the NYC area or want a great reason to go to the city that NEVER sleeps... NYC Comic-Con OCT 12-16 and Reallusion will have a big presence! Thank you all for comments and buzz around iClone5. Rock on!
By Rampa - 13 Years Ago
Thanks you guys for the excellent coverage. We are truly excited now.Smile